Skip to main content
Topic: putting in new flooring in LD (Read 72 times) previous topic - next topic
putting in new flooring in LD
Yahoo Message Number: 160269
Hi there, we are in the process of putting in new flooring in our 1995 mb ld. The carpet was old and dirty. We have the carpet out and the sub floor is in good condition. But there are some bolts that slightly stick up above the floor. I'm wandering if anyone has put flooring over these bolts before and if so then what kind? We were planning on using Allure flooring but I'm not sure it is thick enough to lay flat on over it. I really don't want to put in a whole other sub floor in. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Re: putting in new flooring in LD
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 160270
We just completed re flooring the '92 MB. Only a few bolts were problematic, most were out of sight. First I tightened them all up to get them as deeply pulled into the sub floor as practical. We put carpet in back, and relied on a nice pad to mitigate the bolt heads, no problem there, its like the original.

we laid a very lightweight maple Trafficmaster laminate floor, about â...œ thick. It was he lightest material we could find other than carpet. It is a free floating floor. As I laid it, when I got to a bolt head, I covered the bolt with a magic marker, then laid in the wood, so I had a nice mark of the location. Then I simply used a chisel to gouge out enough of the plywood on the backside of the maple to clear the bolt. Worked great.

Good luck!
Paul
'92 Mid Bath

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 160294
We had a new floor put in our 96 TK when we bought it 3 years ago. The flooring folks put a rubberized wood style floor in the TK portion. Several months later we noticed one or 2 bolt heads that we could see when the light hit the floor just right. Can't feel them. So far, 3 years later, they are hidden - except when the light hits them just right and we are looking for them. I have no idea how they were treated under the floor. Makes me wonder what the future will hold for them.

Sandy KalleAnka 96TK VT

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 160333
We removed the carpet from our '99 MB two years ago and replaced it with Allure vinyl click-lock free-floating flooring from Home Depot.

I actually put down a new sub-floor from the very back up to where the cab starts and made cutouts around the bolt heads in the sub-floor. There were a couple bolts sticking up enough that I still had to chisel a bit off the bottom of a couple planks of flooring.

The whole thing turned out gorgeous and has held up well in our winter wanderings near Yuma. No bumps appearing from stress over bolt heads because of the sub-floor. I think the extra effort was worth it.

If you search "Allure" and "flooring" on the Yahoo lifewithalazydazerv site you'll find plenty of history from people who have tackled this job.

Good luck to you!

Charlie '99 MB "Gandalf the Gray"

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 160344
What I did was remove the nut and washer under the rig, pull the bolt out, countersink a slightly deeper hole so the head would be flush with the floor, put the nut and washer back on and snugged it down.

Jim

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 160353
Jim, folks might like to know how many bolts had to be countersunk.

Chris
Formerly: 2002 30' IB

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 160356
Chris, If I'm not mistaken, in our 27 MB, I think it was at least 10, if not more. There was a few in front of both couches, bathroom door area, dinette and along the kitchen counter. It really wasn't that hard,. I did have to have my wife hold a few of the heads with a set of needle nose vise grips from up top. I then just used a 1" wood spade bit and carefully chewed out the hole until the carriage bolt head was flush. I then install click-lock laminate flooring.

Jim