Skip to main content
Topic: Fantastic Fan efficiency improvement.... (Read 57 times) previous topic - next topic
Fantastic Fan efficiency improvement....
Yahoo Message Number: 160056
I uploaded a file to the 'Improvements' folder about adding pulse-width-modulation speed control to the ceiling fans...

Steve
2004 FL
2013 Honda Fit

Re: Fantastic Fan efficiency improvement....
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 160066
Steve,

Excellent project and good work!!

I had no clue that Fantastic Fan was buried in the dark ages of motor speed control using power wasting dropping resistors. I would not have guessed that at all.

A few years back, while many were and still are pulling out their Tubro-Kools and Rec-Aire swamp coolers, I installed a new one. They too have an antiquated low/high using a resistor. That got yanked immediately in favor of a PWM.

I'll shamelessly copy you on this project for my two remaining fans using this controller (comes with remote pot already, so saves a little work)

Amazon.com: RioRandâ„¢ Upgraded 6V-90V 15A DC Motor Pump Speed Controller:...

What I'd still like to do, but haven't had time, is to make a soft start circuit for the furnace fan using one of these speed controllers. Assuming the pot is simply applying a varying DC analog voltage to control things (and I haven't bench tested that yet), one could easily insert an appropriate delay using a simple R/C (resistor capacitor) time constant circuit so that when the power is switched on by the thermostat sending the signal to the control board, then the 12 volts is switched to the fan, the PWM speed control will behave as if someone is slowly turning up the pot (control knob). At least that's the plan - - smoke and sparks being simply an unexpected bonus :c)

bumper
As an Amazon Associate Lazy Daze Owners' Group earns from qualifying purchases.
bumper
"Yonder" '05 MB
"WLDBLU" glider trailer

Re: Fantastic Fan efficiency improvement....
Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 160068
bumper said, "...smoke and sparks being simply an unexpected bonus :c)..."

A big belly LOL! I love the adventurous spirits on this site...ya'll gave me the courage to jump into my dream of having an RV (& specifically an LD). I keep learning new things all the time. Thx to all who make this site such a pleasurable addiction by so generously sharing your knowledge, adventures, & fellowship!

Lynne LDy Lulubelle. '05 30' TB Lilly, the 4-Legged Alarm
Lynne
LDy Lulubelle, Green '05 31' TB
Lilly, the 4-Legged Alarm