Skip to main content
Topic: Scenic Byways (Read 12 times) previous topic - next topic
Scenic Byways
Yahoo Message Number: 160041
America's Byways is the "America's Byways" website. Roads designated as *national* scenic byways are listed under each state. On the right side of each state page showing its nationally-named scenic roads, there's a link to the scenic roads designated as particularly scenic by that *state*; many of these roads are lovely drives, and some even more beautiful that the "national" roads!

A caveat: the road descriptions are written primarily for passenger vehicles, not RVs. Linda suggested getting a copy of "The Mountain Directory"; good advice! There is an Eastern edition and a Western edition; the latest of each is from 2006, so try to get the more current "publication" (in whichever format applies).

Also, Benchmark Maps publishes a "Benchmark Atlas" for more than a dozen western states; order from Amazon or Benchmark maps. Two caveats here:

Amazon may not carry the latest edition of a state atlas; compare their offerings with those on the Benchmark website.

The final order page on the Benchmark website (credit card info) did *not* appear to be secure when I last checked; those who want to order from the Benchmark site might want to call their office and ask. (Maybe you'll get a reply; I didn't.)

Re: 14A in WY; I've driven this road in a 24' (not towing). It's a bit narrow, curvy, and has some pretty long runs of steep ups and downs. If one is inexperienced with mountain driving, it's not a good one to learn on; Rob's suggestion of 14-16-20 is a much less "stressful" choice. ;-)

As ever, YMMV.

Joan
2003 TK has a new home