Skip to main content
Topic: Update on Moving Life With a Lazy Daze RV to the new Website. (Read 58 times) previous topic - next topic
Update on Moving Life With a Lazy Daze RV to the new Website.
Yahoo Message Number: 160008
Steve Cook has been quite busy transferring all the data from the Yahoo site to the new one. The biggest issue so far has been matching up members' email addresses and user IDs in the new location. Yahoo, and in particular the Neo revision, really did a number on this important aspect. I am currently the guinea pig, trying out different aspects of the move that will eventually be presented to all of you. We still will test with a handful of you when the time is right. I can't give you a launch date but do want you to know that progress is being made.

Chris
Formerly: 2002 30' IB

Re: Update on Moving Life With a Lazy Daze RV to the new Website.
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 160014
On Thu, Apr 21, 2016 at 5:54 PM,  [lifewithalazydazerv]  wrote:
Steve Cook has been quite busy transferring all the data from the Yahoo site to the new one. The
A million thanks to you all for your time and effort, and the ongoing updates.

Frederika & Pete 1998 IB / Tracker tow

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 160015
Thanks
Currently: 2008 36' Tiffin Open Road
Previously: 2007 Mid Bath

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 160018
Will the North East LD & South East LD groups migrate with the LWALD move as well?
2011 MB

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 160019
"Will the North East LD & South East LD groups migrate with the LWALD move as well?"

You are referring to two of the possibly six regional LD camping groups. Most of these groups have their own websites, for planning their events and will remain that way. The small details, pertaining to individual events, are better served with their own websites, which is why the Yahoo West GTG has its own site.

A calendar may be added to the new forum where each group can list their upcoming events, if they wish LD owners, from other areas, to attend.
This is highly suggested as none of the groups have too many members (actually, most groups are shrinking) and it is always good to meet other LD owners.

LWALD is a forum for all LD owners and those interested in them, no matter where they live.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 160020
It's my understanding that all the files and data currently available here on the Yahoo site will be available once the move to the new site is done.

Chris

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 160031
Thanks for the latest information Chris. And thanks for being the guinea pig - someone had to do it!!
2003 RB

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 160033
What is the address of the new site? Thanks! Getting ready for another great summer!

Pete
Pete
1994 RB

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 160035
Thanks so much for all your work. We do depend on you folks! Art and Sandy KalleAnka 96 TK Wending home to Vt

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 160042
The address of the new site won't be released until we actually move to the new site. How to access the new site will be posted.

Chris

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 160043
What is the address of the new site? Thanks! Getting ready for another great summer!

Pete

Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 160139
Hello Chris. Does the Team that is working on this project have a target month in which the new website will operational? And secondly, do you suspect that the new website and this one will remain active at the same time for some period of time? Finally, thanks again for all your hard work on this important project.

Ed & Margee '09 MB

Reply #12
Yahoo Message Number: 160150
Ed, I suspect that next month, probably later on, the new site will be launched to general Lazy Daze forum membership. Later today your co-moderators, Judie and Larry, will get instructions on how to access the new site and will play in that sandbox for several days and will pass on any comments to me and the Cooks. I have tapped 12 or so forum members to continue the test after Larry and Judie report back, and after that group of 12's observations and experiences are digested, the new site will be opened to all.

And yes, this Yahoo site will remain accessible (not functional) for some time after the new site is launched with instructions thereon directing visitors to the new site. I'm not sure how long actual posting on this site will remain available after the new site is up and running, but it won't be long. Obviously, once the new site is operational the goal is to have everyone sharing the new site.

Any of you who wants to see pretty much what our new site will be like should go to the Foretravel Owners' Forum site Foretravel Owner's Forum and check it out. Even without being members of FT forum, you can navigate around and see how the mechanics work.

Chris

Chris

Reply #13
Yahoo Message Number: 160159
If one is going to transition to Foretravel, should one register on Foretravel with the same email address as seen on Yahoo? from one with several email addresses including myobdamnit AT gmail dot com joel

Joel & Terry Wiley
dog Zeke
2013  31 IB   Orwan   / 2011 CRV Tow'd LWEROVE

Reply #14
Yahoo Message Number: 160164
Joel

Relax a bit, the transition is still weeks away, everyone will be instructed what to do at that time.
All the quesitions will be answered but for now, every question like this is using time that Chris and the moderators could use setting up the new site.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #15
Yahoo Message Number: 160165
Wow. That looks like it's going to be a lot easier to navigate. I have had a yahoo group that I started for a bunch of pottery collectors and when yahoo changed format, everyone (including me) lost interest because of all the glitches. So glad LWLD is going forum style!

Bud in Ohio (for now)

Reply #16
Yahoo Message Number: 160167
Hello, Been reading the comments on the switch with much interest. I belong to another yahoo group with the San Diego Miata Club, and of course we are having the same issues. I am wondering what service or software you are using? Our club is now talking of the need to also switch.
Thank you very much,

Dan Garcia

Reply #17
Yahoo Message Number: 160168
Joel, we are not transitioning to the Foretravel site. The folks who are helping us with the design and construction of our new Lazy Daze website were instrumental in the design of the current Foretravel website and oversaw its migration from Yahoo Groups. Steve and Michelle were early members of our LD site and owned an LD but moved on to a Foretravel and volunteered to help us with our new site. And we owe them much gratitude for doing this. It's been a big job.

As for registering of the FT site, you may if you wish of course, and you can use whatever email and password you prefer and works for you. Visiting the FT site (or joining it) and navigating around it will help you understand our new site because the design is quite similar to the FT website. However, that is the only connection we will have to the FT website.

Chris

Reply #18
Yahoo Message Number: 160170
Dan, I responded to your personal message to me last night. ElkArte is the software we are using.

Chris

Update on Moving Life With a Lazy Daze RV to the New Website.
Reply #19
Yahoo Message Number: 160268
To keep you updated, I just released the new site to 11 of our members who have agreed to test the site for the next week or so. Once we digest their experiences, we will be very close to launching it to the rest of you.

Stay tuned!

Chris

Reply #20
Yahoo Message Number: 160400
Chris said, "To keep you updated, I just released the new site to 11 of our members who have agreed to test the site for the next week or so. Once we digest their experiences, we will be very close to launching it to the rest of you. "

Thanks Chris and those working testing the new site. Yahoo has done something funky with the groups and now I am having trouble viewing the site from my I phone. I have not changed any of my settings and none of the other sites (other than yahoo groups) are having issues. It seems the site I hit only sometimes realizes I am on a iPhone and randomly decides to change the screen view as I page through topics. The change is something more akin to a view I would see on my home computer. If I try to narrow down the page to just the content I want I get parts of screens overlapping the txt box of an item. It does not alway do this but it is frequent enough that the yahoo site has become very difficult to read. Not so bad now, but in July I will be on the road for a month or so.

In defense to Yahoo, Apple recently pushed a security upgrade and the issue could be two systems are not playing nice with each other.
Currently: 2008 36' Tiffin Open Road
Previously: 2007 Mid Bath

Reply #21
Yahoo Message Number: 160402
"Yahoo has done something funky with the groups and now I am having trouble viewing the site from my I phone."

---- I have the same display problem on my iPhone; the iPad is not affected, but what I see on the phone is exactly what you described. Since the iPad is not affected (both are running 9.3.1), I don't see the display glitch as an Apple issue. Wouldn't any "security upgrade" for iToys apply to both devices?

If anyone has a definitive answer, please post; thanks!

Joan
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #22
Yahoo Message Number: 160403
Not to worry. Soon the new site will be launched and you very possibly will have a different view on your phone.

I just read a few messages on my iPhone and had no display problem. It is updated.

Chris

Reply #23
Yahoo Message Number: 160404
Not to worry. Soon the new site will be launched and you very possibly will have a different view on your phone.

---- Looking forward to whatever "new view" pops up on whatever is used to display it! No worries at all, Chris! ;-)

Joan
2003 TK has a new home

Update on Moving Life With a Lazy Daze RV to the new Website
Reply #24
Yahoo Message Number: 160406
John,

In the several years since last total revision of its groups software, I never got familiar enough with it to use the web version - I just plain hated it. I read and posted through email

But I'm happy to say that as one of the testers of the beta version of the new forum, I am completely sold. It is amazingly easy to navigate and to learn the features it offers. I had been concerned because the new forum offers only a daily recap of posts, not the entire posts. But the forum is so easy to use, I'll be quite happy with it. It also works beautifully on my Samsung S5 Android phone, so I can peruse and post without having to fire up the computer.

Kudos to Steve & Michelle for devoting so much time to getting us LD'ers into the modern age. And to Chris, Larry and Judie for all their work on it.

I'm quite certain y'all will really, really like the new forum.

WxToad (Ted H) Toad Hall

Chris said, "To keep you updated, I just released the new site to 11 of our members who have agreed to test the site for the next week or so. Once we digest their experiences, we will be very close to launching it to the rest of you. " Thanks Chris and those working testing the new site. Yahoo has done something funky with the groups and now I am having trouble viewing the site from my I phone. It does not always do this but it is frequent enough that the yahoo site has become very difficult to read. Not so bad now, but in July I will be on the road for a month or so