Skip to main content
Topic: Retired and buying 1st RV. (Read 110 times) previous topic - next topic
Retired and buying 1st RV.
Yahoo Message Number: 159772
Hi, new to the forum. Became interested in the Lazy Daze a number of years back. A bit handy and not afraid of a project. W/having said that, I am talking w/a gentleman who owns a '90 22' rear bath LD. 108,000 miles 454, chevy chassis, early '90 build so before the upper bunk area redesign. Claims no leaks, solid cabin , 1.5' x 1.5' soft spot in front of toilet. Last drove 5 years ago when he came to Wi from California, claimed it ran well at that time but has not moved in 5 years. From what I gather from the couple of e mails we have exchanged, he has had it in excess of 15 years. Trying to set up a time to talk w/him before I see it. It is not a hop in and drive off kind of deal, flat tire, who knows when it was last started, probably needs all fluids changed before starting, new gas...
It has probably been for sale for 6 months or so. Can't tell a lot from pics other than he is not a neat freak and didn't do much to make it present well. He is asking 6,000.00, figure I will have another 4,000.00 into it, hopefully.
Best I can figure 6,000.00 is a fair price if it was at least running, based on something I had read somewhere, for that year it was worth about 14% of selling price? Anyway I was thinking offering 5,000.00 dependent on what I think when I see it and go from that point.
Any advice would be appreciated. I am looking to take something to Arizona this winter.

Re: Retired and buying 1st RV.
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 159774
Depends on what you can afford... if you have no choice then to take your chances on a 26 year old model, then that is what you have to do. Otherwise, my free advice is to buy the newest model you can comfortably afford. If this is a coach you may own for some time, that would be another reason to get a newer one in better condition.

Frank '16 MB
plan B - 2023 Travato

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 159778
Thank you for your reply, I have a '70 chevy C30 and a 71 C10 trucks, and an beautiful '93 ford E150 conversion van, so older does not concern me, just so it presents well and I can somewhat rely on it. We are supposed to talk this afternoon and from that I will determine whether I want to invest the time for the 3 1/2 hour ride to look at it. Newer would be nice and I may end up going that way, we shall see.

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 159779
I think you may be in for a rude wake up. That year RV uses 16.5 inch wheels so tires are a little hard to come by. I will try to break this down based on what you have posted and assume (which is always dangerous) all the rest is good.
Tires: If you look at the date codes on the existing tires I'm willing to bet that they are very close to, if not more than 7 years old. TireRack sells one tire to fit a 1990 G30, $144 each times 6 plus tax, mounting, balancing, and valve stems so figure 1000.00 for tires. That leaves $3000.

Because the van has been idle so long you will want to replace the brakes and flush the lines and do a tune up. $200 for pads and rotors front if you do the work yourself. I could not find a quote for rears but I guess about the same. Break fluid is $75 or so a can. So a DYI brake job $500-$600. Add belts, upper and lower radiator hoses, heater hoses and spark plugs and air filter. Call it $1000. That leaves $2000.

In the near term because the G30 has sat for so long you are likely to need shocks. If the engine has not been run from time to time the cylinder walls could be a bit rough and the rings will go bad sooner than they otherwise would have, meaning an engine repair.

That leaves only $2K to repair a known soft spot and the water leak that caused it. Can you do that kind of work? Lazy Daze are well put together and difficult to take apart. To repair the wood rot you will have to remove most of the bathroom, cut back to known good wood that is properly supported and sister in the new wood so it is properly supported. While you at it you will need to find out the source of the water leak. Likely in a water line. I am some what handy, but wood rot scares the heck out of me.

Then there are the continuing issues related with an aging house. A house in the suburbs after 20 years will need new shingles on the roof, major appliances (HVAC, stove, WH, washer drier) replaced. Don't be surprised to find out the fridge needs work or something else does not work. Check the roof seams. Have they been caulked or taped recently (about every 7-8 years).

That is the bad news.

On the up side.
When I first joined the forum one forum member talked about the two ways to approach the first RV. One was to buy the best you can. The other is to buy the lest you can. The rule only applies to the one's first RV. Especially the second part. That is because you don't know if the life style suits you until you dive in. If you by this RV - you dive in to the life style for relatively little cost and can walk away. If you like the life style you will get some small amount of money as a trade in for something newer at a later date. Or you can continue to rebuild if the bones are good.

Rebuilding on good bones will never be a good investment, but RVs are not investments. You pay a lot up front or a lot over time. If you go forward with this get the truck checked by a independent mechanic, and the house checked by someone.
It sounds like this was someone's baby. But the individual reached a point around five years ago in their lives where they no longer can keep up with the needs of the RV.

Good luck with your RV search. Keep us posted on what you find.

John DaCrema 07 MB
Currently: 2008 36' Tiffin Open Road
Previously: 2007 Mid Bath

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 159780
Thank you John, kinda was the reply I was looking for. When you put it all into perspective, 5,000.00 investment might be a little on the low side given a vehicle that has been allowed to sit outside for that period of time w/out more than likely being started or maintained in any fashion. I will talk to the gentleman and given that conversation, decide whether I want to look at it or not.

1990 Lazy Daze 22 ft RV - $6000 (Green Bay)

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 159781

O.K Ill bite here.

In the California market(have no idea whether WI is higher or lower} this is a $2000 unit as described. As soon as it starts up and runs round the block without obvious problems its worth $5k. A road ready example in good condition goes for about $8,000. If you can find one!

Dont forget your first expenditure is going to be 1500 for new tires.

Good luck whatever you decide. I think there is a deal there, but it should happen significantly under the asking price.

Mark (Ex 1986 MP, still suffering sellers remorse)

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 159784
I would have to agree with Mark on the RV's current value (except I live on the other coast neat DC). It doesn't mean you can't offer less. In the add you posted the soft spot is not mentioned. So you may have a better idea than we do on condition. Also WI hasn't had it week of spring to allow a exterior wash. Hopefully it will clean up well. I don't know how long the factory has been using the two part paint. The bad news with the two part paint is it fades. The good news is that it it is made something like Emron by DuPont and does not come off like enamel or lacquer.
John

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 159786
If you get serious about this use the forum search tool and look at entry by Rick Fowler. I do not know if he is still a member but as I was learning about RVing, he picked up an 80's Chevy based LD. I could not find his blog but much of the work he put into it is very well documented in forum talk. Also look at posts by Larry and Andy (see Travels with Gertie, Travels with Gertie ). Sorry for the late post. I was out from home and following the thread on my cell phone. I could not find Rick's name using the search tools on my iPhone (not the phone's issue, but my inability to push that tech edge).
John DaCrema 07 MB

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 159787
Thank you John. I sent a long text, after the helpful replies to my please for help, to the owner, basically saying , in a nice way, you need to spend money to get anywhere near what you are asking or let it go, as is, for a price you can live with.
He called me and we talked for an hour or so, long story, somewhat short, he bought it in 2000 from the original owner, in California were he was living at the time, came to Wi, w/it once a year to visit his dad. 2004 moved up here to be near his ailing dad. Said he kept it in tip top shape till it was parked in 2012 because of some relay that would periodically work and when it wouldn't his battery would discharge. Said everything worked in it before he parked it, put a new furnace in it at some point during his ownership. Has used it as a part time office over the years, kids are grown, wife wants some of his vehicles out of the driveway. Said last time it was started was 5 years ago. He is not a auto guy, was asking me what to do. I am going to look at it next weekend,I told him that their was no need to do anything w/it, I would look at it and decide if I want it, and make an offer. He claims their are no leaks in the home, soft floor is probably from a pipe.
I am 3.5 hours away, my bro, who has a small automotive shop 2 hours from him, will go w/me, The way I look at it is if the body is good, no leaks to be found and it appears to be in good shape, I will make an offer, I am thinking 4,000.00 . I could take a battery, some gas and probably start it but then I have just increased his asking price, I told him it should probably not be started before new oil, gas, If we come to an agreement I will have it transported the 2 hours to my bro's shop and let him swap out fluids and get it running, sounds like a plan to me. Say I stick 5,000.00 into it, I could have a nice motor home that could give me years of enjoyment and what do you get for 10,000. Any input would be appreciated.

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 159790
Mark, when you and your brother go to check out the LD, a good way to make sure you have missed nothing in your inspection is to use the index in the owner's manual as a checklist.

Chris
Formerly: 2002 30' IB

Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 159791
I would be very surprised if a 26-year-old rig, particularly one which has been sitting unmaintained for the past 5 years, is "leak free".

Despite the owner's assurances to the contrary, the potential of the rig having dry rot from undetected leaks is substantial; you will want to either get on the roof (and I don't know that I would do that because the condition and integrity of the structure is unknown) or use a ladder to examine the roof seams, the areas around a cooler/AC, the vents, the window frames, and every other place that water could have seeped in. Check the ceilings and inside every cupboards and compartment for evidence of past/current leaks.

In addition to the chassis/systems issues that John mentioned (tires - and for 16.5" wheels, not easy- hoses, belts, shocks, brakes, transmission, etc.) it's likely that the refrigerator, the LPG system (including the tank), the furnace, the stove, the water heater, and the water pump will need servicing (at the least), or need repair or possibly replacement. None of this is cheap. Since your brother has a shop, maybe you can do some of this less expensively than another might; does he like you? ;-)

JMHO, but it seems that the seller wants to get the rig out of his driveway (or rather, his wife does, and the adage "If Mama ain't happy, ain't NOBODY happy!" certainly qualifies as "seller motivation"), so you might offer a starting figure below your $4000 price point *IF* the rig checks out and you don't find any "warts" you aren't willing to deal with.

Good luck; please post the outcome. Thanks.

Joan
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #12
Yahoo Message Number: 159794
Bought a 1994 ford e350 460 engine MB LD from a widower whose husband died gave $2000 for it. It hadn't been started in 3 yrs. put new battery in and it fired right up. No leaks, all plumbing good everything I checked works perfect . Had awning, complete $4000 solar system and built in hydraulic leveler system. Runs like a 2016. Change oil, tune up, all hoses and belts bought all new tires $848 10ply pathfinders from discount tire they are nation wide. I don't deal with dealerships have private mechanic and do what I can myself. I will put this baby up against any new model on a cross country road trip any time. I got right now bout &1100 in it.
I do need upper and lower ball joints on both sides and transmission fluid changed, that will run about. $200 more with me and my mechanic doing it. I live in Oklahoma central USA . Good look on your restore just stay away from those dealership mechanics.

. A.H.
ah  '94 MidBath

Reply #14
Yahoo Message Number: 159800
Mark, your plan sounds very reasonable. The only one you have to make happy with the offer is you. If the seller is also happy, its a deal.

We bought a '92 last summer, and have been upgrading it like mad, once we decided a motorhome is for us, and the 27MB is a floor plan we like. Since the skin and paint is in excellent condition, and mileage is less than 40K, we feel like we have a newish RV.

Big ticket items were the AC in the house and the cab. Had to convert/replace for new refrigerant. We also elected to put some money into suspension at Henderson's. We had to do some major reconstruction due to rot in the walls. The only costly thing about that was the >$500 for the rear corner caps. We pulled out cabinets and other furnishings we didn't like, rebuilding custom items to our taste. We just re-covered the floors. A bit of basic mechanical fixes and the old 460 in the E350 runs great. The money we spent has kept me very happy, and we still have nothing like the cost of a later model. Plus, because its so old, we like the idea that any changes we want to make are filled with upside. Not so if the rig was only a few years old.

As another vintage RVer told me, they are not repairs, they are upgrades!

Best wishes for a good deal...
Paul
'92 Mid Bath

Reply #17
Yahoo Message Number: 159825
Fortunately the '90, 22' LD I am looking at has the 454/7.5 chevy engine. According to the "changes threw the years" info in '90 the went to EFI and away from the TBI, not sure whether that was a mid year change and if that particular LD will be a generation IV or V engine. Not that that maters a lot but the EFI would be the newer technology. It also notes that sometime in '90 they got away from the leak prone upper cab windows, the one I am looking at still has those windows rather than the blank fiberglass shell. On a separate note I went googling to find a RV inspector to check it out, first checked on a couple of local RV dealers and their reviews for the most part were pathetic, once you left w/the motorhome/trailer, you were on your own, sad. Ended up finding a RV inspection service, sent a text concerning cost.

Reply #18
Yahoo Message Number: 159826
This particular LD that I am going to look at has the rear bath, which to me is not such a big thing, maybe like some have said that if a few are sleeping on the couch and in recliners and you have to come off the loft... Any other particular downsides to the RB. Thanks in advance,

Reply #19
Yahoo Message Number: 159827
Garry wrote "Where are you paying 75 dollars a can for brake fluid?"

Very easy to come by. Every time you look at the line above that has the super hot brake pads instead of the line with the brake fluid. The price should be more like $17 and maybe up to $28 for very high temp fluid. There is less expensive fluid but it boils at a lower temp which I would not use for something as heavy as an RV.
The tire price was based on tire rack tries for a stock 1990 G30 with the 16.5 wheels, 8.75R16.5 LT 115/111R load range E.

Sorry, John

Reply #20
Yahoo Message Number: 159831
Double check the chassis year. Our 87 twin king has an 86 chassis.
Lk with 87 tk

Sent by iPhone
2018 24' Twin King (replacing 1987 22' TK)

Reply #22
Yahoo Message Number: 159833
Per Andy Baird:

1990^v

22' model, Chevrolet G30 chassis, GVWR: 10,500 lb., 350 c.i.d./5.7 liter V8 engine or 454 c.i.d./7.5 liter V8 engine, electronic fuel injection, TH400 3-speed auto transmission 23.5' model, Ford E350 chassis, GVWR: 11,500 lb., 355 c.i.d./5.8 liter V8 or 460 c.i.d./7.6 liter V8 engine, electronic fuel injection, E4OD 4-speed auto transmission 26.5' model, Ford E350 chassis, GVWR: 11,500 lb., 460 c.i.d./7.6 liter V8 engine, electronic fuel injection, E4OD 4-speed auto transmission All models: * Switched from throttle body injection to electronic fuel injection * Eliminated leak-prone front overcab window (mid-year 1990

Reply #24
Yahoo Message Number: 159837
Mark,

We have the RB and truly enjoy the openness of the floor plan. Every floor plan has its strongpoints.

The rear lounge/MB allows you to separate yourself from the kids at bedtime. That's always a positive.

We enjoy our RB for many reasons. My favourite features are the kitchen that is directly opposite the dinette. Makes for a comfy spot to relax while the soup is on the fire. And the RB itself...it's very roomy and makes a great dressing room. It can be warmed up prior to shower time too. Most excellent.

At bed time, we have set up a five minute routine to make and break the dual sofa bedding. This has eliminated bed time from becoming a bear.

At night the RB rig takes on the appearance of a totally different LD. With the king bed made, it feels like a different place entirely.
2015 27' RB "MissB.Haven"