Skip to main content
Topic: Request for Alaska/Yukon travel info (Read 14 times) previous topic - next topic
Request for Alaska/Yukon travel info
Yahoo Message Number: 159695

1. Is there anything hard to get or unavailable in Alaska or Yukon that you wish you'd brought with you when visiting there?
2. What did you do for cell or internet coverage? Are pay phones available?

Thank you.
2010 RB "Monty"  & currently: 2021 RB "Villa Verde"
2004 Born Free 26'
1998 Beaver Patriot 33'
1992 Barth Breakaway 28'
1982 Fleetwood Jamboree 23'
1982 Dolphin/Toyota 22'

Re: Request for Alaska/Yukon travel info
Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 159706
"1. Is there anything hard to get or unavailable in Alaska or Yukon that you wish you'd brought with you when visiting there?"

I can't think of a single thing that was unavailable that we needed on our two trips to Alaska.

I suppose if you have a dietary need that requires food that's difficult to find, you might want to be sure you take that with you -- provided it's something that is allowed across the Canadian border.

"2. What did you do for cell or internet coverage? Are pay phones available?"

Our last trip to Alaska was in 2001, and at that time there were pay phones available. Whether or not that's still true is debatable...someone who has made the trip in the last year or two could better answer that.

Verizon *used* to have Canadian service that you could add to your current plan. I don't know if that's still available. However, even if it is, it was only for voice coverage. Verizon charges $2.05 per MB in Canada (yes, that's MB *not* GB) for data coverage. WiFi is available throughout Canada and Alaska (of course, you'll be able to use your phones for both voice and data in Alaska just like you do in the lower 48)...in those areas with coverage.

Linda Hylton
Linda Hylton