Skip to main content
Topic: roof seam sealing (Read 18 times) previous topic - next topic
roof seam sealing
Yahoo Message Number: 159531
I was checking amazon for the availability of eternabond and noticed that there was another product at a lower price. I believe the name was 'para bite' sold by the lottes roofing company. in a call to lottes they assured me that the products were identical but the adhesive on the BITE was more aggressive. if you are interested their RV number is 1-888-666-9157.

Re: roof seam sealing
Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 159537
I don't know anything about the Parr product, but you might want to check Best Materials; they offer a 4"x 50' roll of white Eternabond for $55.00. (I don't know the current shipping charges.) As far as I know, this is the best price available on the 4"x 50' roll.

Additionally, 4" wide tape is easier to work with than 6" wide material; there are no do-overs with this stuff anyway, and, IMO, the potential for a rucked up, wonky end job is a LOT greater with the wider material!

As ever, YMMV.

Joan
2003 TK has a new home

roof seam sealing
Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 159539
Hello Joan.

Have you used Eternabond on your LD? While our roof appears to be in very good condition, I've been wondering about using Eternabond before we actually need it as a preventive maintenance. Perhaps not this year, but next? (I just can't do everything I want as soon as I wish!). I've watched a good many videos about it and it seems like it should be a rather straight forward project.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Ed & Margee - '09 MB Fort Worth

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 159572
I would check with Vince at the factory before using eternabond on a newer rig. The tape can trap moisture and cause problems.
2008 MB

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 159578
"The tape can trap moisture and cause problems." ----- Any sealant, tape or caulk, not just Eternabond, can "trap moisture and cause problems" if the surface to which it's applied is not thoroughly prepped, i.e., scrubbed free of all contamination, "solvented", and completely *dried* before applying.

While it's true that one can get a bad roll of E-bond once in a while, e.g., poor adhesive or backing that doesn't peel off, I'm pretty sure that most post-application problems experienced with E-bond are the result of one or more of these factors: sloppy/inadequate surface preparation (including "step skipping" in the cleaning phases), not reading the application instructions/guidelines, using inappropriate products to prepare the surface (and no/wrong tools to "stick" the tape to the surface), and trying to do the job in adverse weather, i.e., too hot/cold/humid.

Many owners have successfully E-bonded the roofs of their LDs. It's not necessarily an *easy* job to do right; the prep and subsequent tape application take time, and the material is unforgiving. But, if one allows time to do the job well and preps *thoroughly*, E-bond can be a very good defense against roof leaks.

As ever, YMMV.

Joan
2003 TK has a new home