Skip to main content
Topic: Stereo replacement. (Read 165 times) previous topic - next topic
Stereo replacement.
Yahoo Message Number: 159488
Has anyone replaced the stereo on their LD lately? The one I have is not original to my 2001 LD, but I would like an AM/FM digital media player withbluetooth, aux or USB ports. No CDs. No XM or Sirius.
I was looking at Crutchfield for a single din player, but am in need of a few answers.
Do I need an installation kit? If so, would it be for a 2001 Econoline? How many speakers, 4 or 6? Thanks, Tanya
Tanya
2001 MB

Re: Stereo replacement.
Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 159492
Tanya, I recommend you call Crutchfield and explain what you have. They can hook you up with the correct kit. Alternatively, find a local auto electronics installation shop and get the kit they recommend. Expect there to be a lot of work, possibly cutting some metal, etc. You will also want an adapter harness from Ford wiring to whatever unit you choose. The number of speakers is irrelevant unless you plan to make a change there.

Steve
2004 FL
2013 Honda Fit

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 159494
Tanya,

I replaced the original player in my 2003 right before the new year. I installed a CDE-152 Alpine unit. It does have a CD player, but also has an aux input and a USB input on the front, and supports the four speakers I have in my coach. I did not have to buy an installation kit, but no harm in calling Crutchfield (as I did) and confirming no matter which of the many units available that you choose to purchase. They're very helpful!

My advice if you intend to do it yourself. Be prepared to remove the dog house in order to change it out. It is not certain you'll have to. Some folks on the forum have been able to remove the old one and replace it doing all of the work from in front. Others, including me, had to access it from the back because of the way the unit was secured, and that can only be done with the dog house removed. My old one was well secured, so no rattling around going down the road, that's for sure. Once I had access to the back, the removal of the old unit and installation of the new one was pretty straightforward and simple.

I hope this helps.

Bill 2003 - 23' FL
Bill
2003 -- 23' FL

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 159495
Thanks. I will give Crutchfield a call tomorrow.
Bill, my brother is going to replace it for me. Your post is very helpful. Thanks a bunch. And I'm also going to check out the stereo you bought.

Tanya
Tanya
2001 MB

Stereo replacement
Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 159496
I replaced ours in a 2005 a few years ago. Got the radio from Crutchfield with everything needed. LD didn't use the standard wire colors for stereos, so while making the swap, I recorded what colors were what. Complete details on the procedure I followed can be found here:

http://www.wxtoad.com/index.php/2015-12-28-21-50-40/2015-12-28-21-51-22/cab-radio-replacement

WxToad @ John W Starr Memorial Forest, MS

www.wxtoad.com www.ultimatecampgrounds.com

Posted by:  teblakey Date: Sun Mar 20, 2016 1:48 pm ((PDT))

Has anyone replaced the stereo on their LD lately?

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 159496
I replaced ours in a 2005 a few years ago. Got the radio from Crutchfield with everything needed. LD didn't use the standard wire colors for stereos, so while making the swap, I recorded what colors were what. Complete details on the procedure I followed can be found here:

http://www.wxtoad.com/index.php/2015-12-28-21-50-40/2015-12-28-21-51-22/cab-radio-replacement

WxToad @ John W Starr Memorial Forest, MS

Toad Hall US AND CANADA CAMPGROUNDS - FORMAL AND DISPERSED PUBLIC CAMPING LOCATIONS - Home

Posted by:  teblakey Date: Sun Mar 20, 2016 1:48 pm ((PDT))

Has anyone replaced the stereo on their LD lately?

Ted,

The link to the wiring diagram does not work?  Is it still available?  I am about to swap the radio out on my 2005 RB. 

Thank you!!
-Joe
-Joe
2005 26.5 RB

Reply #7
When I replaced the radio in my Lazy Daze a couple of months ago I also wrote down which cable from the LD was connected to which cable from the old radio's harness. Then I used the notes and the wiring diagrams from both radios' manuals to connect the LD cables correctly to the new radio's harness. This was easy and successful. As far as I remember the colors of the wires from the LD and the colors of the wires from the new harness were identical.

The old radio was a Panasonic CQ-R145U. If you have the same and need that manual, let me know.

Klaus
2001 26.5 Mid-Bath

Reply #8
Ted,
The link to the wiring diagram does not work?  Is it still available?  I am about to swap the radio out on my 2005 RB. 

Ted sold his LD a couple of years ago, he is around the forum occasionally but not often.
You might try to email him.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze