Skip to main content
Topic: Canada to Alaska ferries (Read 21 times) previous topic - next topic
Canada to Alaska ferries
Yahoo Message Number: 159397
Does anyone have suggestions about using an inland passage ferry for our LD w/toad from Vancouver to Skagway in mid-July? Such as best ferry company, stops along the way, etc? Mike
2010 RB "Monty"  & currently: 2021 RB "Villa Verde"
2004 Born Free 26'
1998 Beaver Patriot 33'
1992 Barth Breakaway 28'
1982 Fleetwood Jamboree 23'
1982 Dolphin/Toyota 22'

Re: Canada to Alaska ferries
Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 159400
The Alskan Ferry Sysrem, combined with the BC Ferries with take you through the Inside passage and throughout SE Alaska.
Both have extensive websites with maps and schedules.
Do make any cabin reservations at the beginning of the booking season.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 159401
As far as I know, only the Alaska Marine Highway System ferries have regularly scheduled service all the way. Canada has ferries that service place like Vancouver Island.

When we did Alaska in 2012, we booked ferry reservations between the ferry port towns with a few days between sailings. This way we could sail during the day and see the Inside Passage during daylight, and explore the area around the port towns (we did have a tow vehicle). I'd highly recommend leaving your rig in Juneau and taking a side trip to spend a few days at the Glacier Bay Lodge and taking the tour boat tour up Glacier Bay. We wanted to re-visit Banff and Jasper National parks (also wonderful), so we started out ferry trip out of Prince Rupert, BC. We spent a month traveling from Price Rupert to Haines, AK. If you have a tow car and two drivers, I believe it is still cheaper and easier to book and drive the vehicles separately onto the ferries.

My blog entries from the Inside Passage part of that trip start at: Art's Work: Clover Pass Eagles

Feel free to email any Alaska travel questions to art (at) berggreen (dot) org.

Art
Art and Barbara
Settled in Atterdag Village of Solvang
2015-2022 fulltime in a 2016 Tiffin Allegro Bus 37AP
2002-2015 2002 LD MB
Art's blog

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 159404
Hi Mike. We used the Alaska Ferry System last summer on our return from Alaska. We used a two-step process on our return. Haines to Juneau, and after a few days in Juneau, the last leg was Juneau to Bellingham Washington. There were multiple stops along the way, allowing us a few hours to explore Sitka and Ketchikan. You can, of course, plan your trip to stay longer in these towns, but be advised the ferries sometimes run only once or twice a week to some ports.

While in Haines, we took the fast ferry (not the same company) to Skagway and back in a day trip. No need to take the rig. Skagway is small and very walkable.

The Ferry system is also a big commercial operation, with many trucks and trailers on board. So, in my opinion, it is important to make any reservations well in advance. This is especially true if you desire a cabin on the trip (cannot stay in the RV). Further, you will need to shut off the propane at the tank, so take care not to lose anything in the fridge/freezer.

The views and sunsets on the trip were wonderful. And since the ship stays reasonably close to land, we were not buffeted around too much by the ocean currents. Hope you have a great time.

Bob
2011 MB

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 159405
Chiming in with others, I highly recommend the Alaska Marine Highway system. It's not just an expedient way to travel the Inside Passage, it's loads of fun and is staffed by park service rangers who point out all the delicious, amazing sights along the way. On one segment I traveled, the ferry was transporting a circus from one port to the next...yes, lions and tigers and circus wagons!

Lorna Millerton Lake, green green Sierra foothills
2003 RB

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 159412
Thanks to those who responded. We now have ferry reservations in July from Prince Rupert to Skagway. We will return on the Alcan or Cassiar Hwy whenever we chose to leave (probably late August). Any suggestions on where to go or see will be appreciated. We will get an Alaska tour guide. Since we will be traveling on some very remote roads we plan on getting a "Spot" GPS transmitter for emergencies. We will also take our CRV. First time for us.
Mike
2004 Born Free 26'
1998 Beaver Patriot 33'
1992 Barth Breakaway 28'
1982 Dolphin/Toyota 22'

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 159413
A must have guide is called The Milepost 2016. A google search will pop up Amazon and other sources to buy the guide.

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 159415
We will order it. Thanks
A must have guide is called The Milepost 2016. A google search will pop up Amazon and other sources to buy the guide.
2004 Born Free 26'
1998 Beaver Patriot 33'
1992 Barth Breakaway 28'
1982 Dolphin/Toyota 22'

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 159416
This NRA statement must be pertaining to your travels in Canada. No firearms allowed, period and do not get caught with them.
Alaska is a firearm friendly state, we saw many hikers caring arms slung over their shoulders for protection - I assumed from bears.

Reply #12
Yahoo Message Number: 159419
Sorry for these quick notes, I do not remember all things so well anymore - wonder why? Look through the Milepost real good. While not often, in our edition (2009) there was a coupon book offer, which gave great discounts for many attractions in Alaska.
Like two for gone plane rides over Denali Mountain.

Reply #13
Yahoo Message Number: 159421
That is no kidding. If you get caught with a firearm in Canada they will confiscate your vehicle, take your firearm, and charge a King's ransom to get your vehicle back. I know someone that happened to.

Dick

Reply #14
Yahoo Message Number: 159424
Rifles and shotguns are considered to be lawful weapons and may be taken into Canada. They must be declared on a special form and a fee of $25.00 Canadian will be charged. Depending on the model, handguns are either banned or require additional paperwork. Forms are available online. US folks will want to see the same forms on the way back to the States!

Fred

2003 RB

Reply #15
Yahoo Message Number: 159425
+1 on the Milepost Also +1 on the Church's book if it has been updated. Otherwise it may be getting a bit dated.

If you can use it a few times, the AlaskaTourSaver coupon book will pay for itself: Alaska Travel Deals | Coupons for Alaska tours & travel discounts

In our opinion, there is more worth seeing than can reasonably be seen in one summer.
How much time are you planning on spending? How much dirt/gravel road driving are you willing to try? Are you interested in day or longer non-RV sidetrips? We felt that there were plenty of places worth seeing in the B.C. and the Yukon.

See about getting reservations at Teklanika Campground inside Denali N.P. (3 night minimum and no tow car) along with the "Tek" bus pass.

You can see many the places we went on my bog.

Art
Art and Barbara
2002-2015 2002 LD MB
Art's blog

Reply #16
Yahoo Message Number: 159430
Yes, we did this. It was great, dry camping. Once you get pass the guard shack and payed road, you have unlimited use of the bus system. WE had bicycles, so loaded them on a bus (some have removed the seats in the rear) and rode it up to the 1st pass. Then biked back to camp. Had to watch out for bears, but it made for a great adventure.
Be sure to enjoy a day at Laird Hot Spring Provincial Park, about 190 miles west of Fort Nelson. Modern RV park with full service.

Dan

Reply #17
Yahoo Message Number: 159435
Art, Thanks for the response. I have bookmarked the coupon book info. Already ordered the Milepost & Church's books along with the DeLorme AK atlas.
We plan on being there 1-1/2 months before driving back. We possibly may take the Cassiar Hwy part of the return route. Since we will have the Honda CRV, we will take more remote day side trips. We will have plenty of time to explore BC before AK.
We also are fortunate to have a retired law enforcement member house sitting in FL while we are gone.
Having traveled to Newfoundland many times we know better than to carry firearms to CA.
Art, can you send me the link to your blog?

Thanks, Mike
2004 Born Free 26'
1998 Beaver Patriot 33'
1992 Barth Breakaway 28'
1982 Dolphin/Toyota 22'

Reply #18
Yahoo Message Number: 159436
Mike, we also used and highly recommend The Milepost, Church's book on Alaskan camping, and the Tour Saver Coupon Book. Additionally, if you belong to AAA, you might consider picking up the tour book for Alaska.

There is much to see and do up there. I suggest you consider visiting the Kenai Peninsula, seeing the towns of Seward, Kenai, and Homer. This is Anchorage's "playground" and gets very busy on weekends. Valdez and the drive to get there is beautiful.

Also suggest a visit to Denali National Park for several days at least. Consider the NP bus trips deep into the park (as far as you can go) and reservations are strongly suggested if you are on a time schedule.

And if returning via the Alaska Highway, consider a stay along Kluane Lake in the Yukon. The towns along the Highway offer an important historical significance to the road itself. Additionally, stops in Jasper and Banff National Parks in Alberta are very worthwhile.

For more detailed info., look at the RV net website, specifically the Alaska & Canada pages. Search for "Roll Call Alaska 2015, RCA 2016, and the info. at the top of the page.

Lastly, make sure you look at the rules when entering Canada on pets, firearms, food, and so forth. Their country, their rules.

Have a great time!
2011 MB

Reply #19
Yahoo Message Number: 159446
The primary URL for my blog is http://arts-work.blogspot.com/ but that takes you to my most recent posts.
The first blog entry for the beginning of our trip is at http://arts-work.blogspot.com/2012/05/mobius-arch.html .
The first entry from our travel up the Inside Passage is http://arts-work.blogspot.com/2012/06/clover-pass-eagles.html .

You can jump around to topics of interest using the navigation area at top right of each post.

HTH, Art
Art and Barbara
2002-2015 2002 LD MB
Art's blog

Reply #20
Yahoo Message Number: 159453
Thanks Art. I will enjoy seeing the blog.
2004 Born Free 26'
1998 Beaver Patriot 33'
1992 Barth Breakaway 28'
1982 Dolphin/Toyota 22'

Reply #21
Yahoo Message Number: 159457
We looked into the ferry system for our trip back but found the cost for our LD and tow vehicle to be outrageously expensive. Thousands of dollars.
2021 Mid Bath