Skip to main content
Topic: Entry Rug, not mat (Read 20 times) previous topic - next topic
Entry Rug, not mat
Yahoo Message Number: 159392
I am thinking of buying a all weather rug for the area just under the slid out steps for the entry into the "house" not van door. Our two dogs, the wife and I seem to track a lot of stuff in the RV. I am hoping that a outdoor mat/rug would keep some of the dirt out. I would like to know what folks are using. Particularly if you happen to own a MidBath.
I own a 2oo7 MidBath. I camp two or three times a year at the beach, most of the rest in the foot hills and mountains in Virginia and Maryland with an occasional trip to FL or the Northeast.
The Questions: ...who made it or where was it purchased? ...Size? ...Where do you store it when underway? ...How difficult is it to plop down and take up? ...How well does it drain rain water? ...How well does it keep out sand and dirt? ( and are you with or with out dogs,)? MOST IMPORTANT, ...are you happy with it?

If you got this far - Thanks for the time and if you reply in advance.
John
Currently: 2008 36' Tiffin Open Road
Previously: 2007 Mid Bath

Re: Entry Rug, not mat
Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 159395
Years ago, I bought a 6×9 piece of astroturf which helps reduce sand and mud coming in. Also use 2×3 mat of forgotten origin. Both are getting long in the tooth but serving well. Haven't seen them in motorhome beautiful but they work Joel
Joel & Terry Wiley
dog Zeke
2013  31 IB   Orwan   / 2011 CRV Tow'd LWEROVE

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 159396
Hi John

I have a large hairy dog, and we're on a site with a lot of mud and other debris to deal with. I started with an outdoor rug, but alone it didn't to the trick, so I started using a 2-prong approach which works well.

Outside I switched to a Clean Machine Mat:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Clean-Machine-Flair-Evergreen-24-in-x-36-in-Door-Mat-10372033/206736915

I haven't taught the dog to wipe her feet yet but I usually remember. It's light, doesn't hold the water, but does collect a lot of stuff. Haven't had to stow it yet, but will probably put it in one of the basement storage compartments.

Inside, I bought a couple of cheap, long-nap bath mats. They really absorb the moisture, collect debris the outside mat misses and the stuff the dog drags in. They're easy to wash and quick to dry, and with the no-slip backing, they stay in place pretty well.

Hope that helps...

Pat The Pearl
The Pearl - 2000 31'
"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most."

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 159398
Another big, hairy dog owner here...

We also use the 2 pronged approach. We have a 4ft X 6ft carpet remnant that we put below the entrance steps. It rolls up very nicely and stores in one of the outside compartments. Inside we have a bathroom rug runner. It works pretty well for collecting stray dirt and debris and the rubber backing is nice because it, and the dog, don't slide when we hit the brakes when we're on the road.

We also invested in a cheap, battery operated Dust Buster.

Syndi 2014 TK Super Flea --

Hi John

I have a large hairy dog, and we're on a site with a lot of mud and other debris to deal with. I started with an outdoor rug, but alone it didn't to the trick, so I started using a 2-prong approach which works well.

Outside I switched to a Clean Machine Mat:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Clean-Machine-Flair-Evergreen-24-in-x-36-in-Door-Mat-10372033/206736915

I haven't taught the dog to wipe her feet yet but I usually remember. It's light, doesn't hold the water, but does collect a lot of stuff.
Haven't had to stow it yet, but will probably put it in one of the basement storage compartments.

Inside, I bought a couple of cheap, long-nap bath mats. They really absorb the moisture, collect debris the outside mat misses and the stuff the dog drags in. They're easy to wash and quick to dry, and with the no-slip backing, they stay in place pretty well.

Hope that helps...

Pat The Pearl
2014 TK
The Super Flea

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 159403
Hi John- Looks like I'm in great company ( in more ways than one). We have a mid bath and have 2 furry boys (as well as 2 lil kids). We use a large AstroTurf (6 x 9?)looking rug outside (which I shake out and stow in the outside compartment), we have a carpet remnant on our inside step, two bath mats inside AND a DustBuster. :) -Shannon

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 159406
These entry mats work like a charm. We have two of these on the flooring just inside the entry door. They work equally well on human feet and dog feet. Easily taken outside to shake out any debris. They really drink up moisture from the dogs' paws.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008CNQOXY?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage

Dan and Lynn 2007 IB-30
As an Amazon Associate Lazy Daze Owners' Group earns from qualifying purchases.
2007 IB-30

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 159407
Dan and Lynn, That seems like a very good mat. I got to wonder how many mats the picture of the dog on the red mat sold? I will have to measure the area inside the door but I thing a large mat, 35"x 26" would be good for that spot then maybe another for the galley.
To be fair, although the two pups bring in a lot of dirt, a fair amount finds its way inside when I travel solo. I follow the custom of taking my shoes off at the door, but without something to catch the dirt, and especially the sand, it gets carted around the RV.
Thanks! John
Currently: 2008 36' Tiffin Open Road
Previously: 2007 Mid Bath