Skip to main content
Topic: 2016 Ford Six Speed Transmission (Read 30 times) previous topic - next topic
2016 Ford Six Speed Transmission
Yahoo Message Number: 159379
Just read the following on another RV Forum. The RV was on a F53 chassis.

"Well, it turns out some people are experiencing an issue with the new 6 speed, me being on of them. Almost all trannys with a TOW/HAUL mode, will downshift on a downhill with just a tap on the brake. That will help maintain speed on a steep downhill. Turns out, some of the newer ones don't do that. Makes for a scary descent and some HOT brakes! Hopefully Ford recognizes the issue and makes the necessary repairs."

Just a note for your review and files.

Ed & Margee '09 MB Fort Worth

Re: 2016 Ford Six Speed Transmission
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 159380
Just a quick follow-up note. I thought 2016 six speed transmission on the F53 chassis ( 6R140 6-speed transmission) would be the same as on the 2016 E450. My little bit of research seem to suggest they were the same, but I may be wrong.

Ed & Margee Fort Worth

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 159381
The 2016 manual says the transmission when in tow/haul "may downshift the transmission, slow your vehicle and control vehicle speed when descending a hill, without pressing the accelerator pedal."

No mention is made of tapping the brake or using the tow/haul button to downshift.

Gear choices are "P R N D 4 2 1".

Frank '16 MB
plan B - 2023 Travato

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 159382
"Turns out, some of the newer ones don't do that. Makes for a scary descent and some HOT brakes"

As long as you can use the shift lever to control downshifting, over heated brakes should never happen... if you are paying attention.
Many dislike Tow-haul, due to the somewhat violent, unexpected down shifting and do not use it.
Most of us learned to control downhill speed using lower gears. It still works today, with or without automatic controls.

Larry Morro Bay
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 159383
In the towhaul mode , when descending the hill, do you think the unexpected downshifting(which I experience as a rapid increase in rpms from 2500 to 4200 immediately)hurts the transmission or the engine? david 2005 IB 31 feet

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 159384
My friends say that the engine and transmission are built to take the rapid downshifting in the tow haul mode and thus it does not hurt anything, but I agree it sure sounds terrible. david

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 159385
I use tow haul mode almost all of the time. Even when not towing, we are near max weight for the chassis.
Why not let the gears help you with the load? I noticed that a newer U haul truck that I rented had tow haul as the default.
2008 MB

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 159390
When we start down a hill, I physically downshift even though I am in the two haul mode. This keeps the heavy rpm downshift from being quite as significant.

Bob in Florida. SE 5 2006 30IB AE
Kathy and Bob on the Go

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 159394
I read that ford did not set tow/haul as default in order to present the best possible numbers to the EPA. I use it on as a matter of course as we are always above 13 K ( must be the dogs and their food).
Joel & Mary Charlie & Dora 2013 31 IB / 2011 CRV towd
Joel & Terry Wiley
dog Zeke
2013  31 IB   Orwan   / 2011 CRV Tow'd LWEROVE

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 159526
David Miller, you asked..

In the towhaul mode , when descending the hill, do you think the unexpected downshifting(which I experience as a rapid increase in rpms from 2500 to 4200 immediately)hurts the transmission or the engine? david 2005 IB 31 feet

Im sure with an automatic trans one would never go speeding down the hill and switch to a lower gears. That is what increases the rpms. If you see your going to approach or a sign that states a down hill grade, I'd slow down accordingly to the gear your going to down shift in. Then again, I don't have a tow-haul and don't know if one can turn it off if it's touchy..

JO

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 159528
Well said, Larry Morro Bay Gene da lurker

David Miller, you asked..

Im sure with an automatic trans one would never go speeding down the hill and switch to a lower gears. That is what increases the rpms. If you see your going to approach or a sign that states a down hill grade, I'd slow down accordingly to the gear your going to down shift in. Then again, I don't have a tow-haul and don't know if one can turn it off if it's touchy..

JO