Skip to main content
Topic: California rules for vehicle purchase.. (Read 19 times) previous topic - next topic
California rules for vehicle purchase..
Yahoo Message Number: 159342
A recent toad listed here that if I wasn't in the middle of a move between states I would have sure tried to buy raised some questions in my mind.

I hope some here knows the rules in California about an out of state buyer purchasing a used vehicle from:

1. an individual
2. a dealership.

I have seen all the discussion about LD factory buyers having to jump thru hoops and taking delivery in Nevada for a new vehicle. I am a wondering if the rules are different for used vehicles. I am always watching for a good Laze Daze and most are in California. And that recent toad was also in California.

I am sure someone here has bought a used vehicle from California and can be some help with this question.

I assume the lack of title is some of the problems with the new vehicle..but assumptions aren't worth much....

Garry

Re: California rules for vehicle purchase..
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 159343
Garry, I live in Oregon and have purchased 2 different LD's. Very simple process. Once I arrive back in Oregon I go to the Ashland DMV and get my new plates and temporary registration, then on my way again. I've also purchased 2 autos in CA and same simple process.

Jim 26MB

Sent via the Samsung GALAXY S® 5, an AT&T 4G LTE smartphone

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 159348
Jim I understand getting stuff once I get back in my state but in my case my state is half way across the country. I know wuth a new Ld you have to hire a driver to take it out of state and then can't go back into California for a year.
How are you doing the driving in Ca. legally? Can I get a temp pass in Ca? How is the process different than a new LD at the factory?

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 159351
When we bought our new rig we paid the calif sales tax then brought it to Washington and paid an additional amount to bring the total at paid up to the Washington level. If you bought thru a dealer I think the same concept would apply. If buying from an individual you have about 30 days to register it in your home state.

Ian

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 159352
I have bought vehicles out of state before but most states allow purchase of a so called temp plate and registration. Usually paper and often taped to a window. I know in most states 30 days is more than allowed we ith some form of registration. I was hoping Ca had some method if transporting a vehicle home for used vehicles. I will be living in Ohio soon rather than Pa and they seem more laid back than Pa. In issues clike this.

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 159354
Garry, I purchased my RV used in CA from the previous owner. I gave him the check, he gave me the clear title. We also filled out state paperwork that transferred the tags to me (I think it was the release of liability form but it has been some years) so I could drive home. The previous owner had to see proof of insurance and a current drivers license I think but that is spelled out on the form. All in all it could not be easier. I wish all states were so advanced.
The previous owner was required to supply the paperwork to DMV within a time frame. There were copies that stayed with him and me just in case I was pulled over.
I had to license the RV in VA with in a reasonable time period (I forget how long) to avoid CA tax - the tags has some good amount of life to them.

Here is a link to the website: http://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/detail/vr/topbuysell
Currently: 2008 36' Tiffin Open Road
Previously: 2007 Mid Bath

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 159355
Corrected copy.... Adds link and signature. I look forward to the new website.
Currently: 2008 36' Tiffin Open Road
Previously: 2007 Mid Bath

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 159356
As a general rule, the state where the vehicle is currently registered in issues a temporary permit/license, which gives the buyer the legal right to move the vehicle. This makes sense since the "leaving" state, in this case CA, is the only entity that has the registration information on the vehicle. The state the vehicle is going to, OH or PA, doesn't have that information, hence they cannot issue a temporary plate until they receive the vehicle title for transfer and the payment of taxes/fees are received. Every state is different, some being more lenient than others. A quick Google search appears to show you're probably looking for a One Trip Permit [CVC 4003]. I'd sure call CA DMV and make sure.

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 159359
We have purchased two new RV's from Calif. dealers (we live in Oregon) The Calif. law says if buyer takes possession in Calif he/she pays Calif. sales tax (no matter where you live). To avoid the tax, the dealer transports the vehicle over a border with a temporary travel permit, gets a notarized form signed in the next state (OR, NV, or AZ) that buyer took possession in new state and then you get the vehicle. In Oregon we would then go to the nearest DMV and register it. If it's a new vehicle you just need the Certificate of Origin; however, if it's used you need to take the vehicle to the DMV so they can verify the VIN. If the dealer doesn't do this he is liable for the tax -- so, the bigger dealers adhere to the law (and, the Calif Board of Equalization shows no mercy). A friend bought a vehicle from a private party and just winged it. I'm not sure what would happen if he was stopped. I lived and worked (sold construction equipment) in Calif. for 40 years and never won a case with the Calif Board of Equalization. 'Yellow Iron' crossing the border always had a big red X on it and if you didn't have your ducks in a row you heard from the Board. Hope this helps. Gordon '98 26.5 MB

Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 159360
I did it differently. I bought, new, from the factory. I paid in full in advance of receipt. They sent me the title and sale information. I took that to NJ DMV, where I got my vehicle title, registration, plates and insurance. I flew to CA and picked up my rig, and was free to wander about CA as much as I wished.

Ken F in NM
'08 MB

Reply #12
Yahoo Message Number: 159364
Well not buying new flying out to potentially buy a used vehicle from an individual that may or may not be fully aware of the rules.. Or a dealer that if they are like they are here like to add as many so called "documentation Fees" as they can get away with.

Just trying to get the straight skinny on doing this as legal as possible, so if and when something comes up like did recently I would be confident in making a call and getting on a plane. I am sure dealers could work it out but I know there could be issues with out a temp plate or something in a 2500 mile drive..

For example here I have to have a separate proof of insurance specifically for Motor Home verses a car to even process the title transfer and registration..

Garry

Reply #13
Yahoo Message Number: 159366
Garry,

Probably the safest best way is to contact your own state DMV and ask them. I sold a Miata to a Texas resident who flew to NV to pick up the car. I was required to remove the plates and turn them in to the Nevada DMV. They in turn gave the new owner a temporary reg to drive the car back to Texas.

No taxes or other significant fees were charged the new owner - - not sure about at the Texas end though.

Check with your DMV first.

Not applicable for private sales, of course, but CA is, IMO, one of the more difficult to deal with for out of state buyers of new vehicles. Most dealers who are near "the border" will gleefully deliver your vehicle over the state line in NV and sign the papers and you are on your way. LD has this klutzy rigmarole going to comply with CA's requirements. Sure, you can pay CA tax at LD and be done with it, but in my case NV taxes were lower and I wanted my own state to have my money. So the commercial driver/notary drive across the border thing is what many out of state buyers do.
bumper
"Yonder" '05 MB
"WLDBLU" glider trailer