Skip to main content
Topic: Best Route Into Yosemite Valley From Southern California (Read 15 times) previous topic - next topic
Best Route Into Yosemite Valley From Southern California
Yahoo Message Number: 159161
Hi Folks,

I've looked as best I could on the forum for advice on this matter, but was unable to get much detailed information.

I have for many years driven to Yosemite Valley from Long Beac, CA in my car. I have always used the 41 from Fresno. but now wonder if the 140 from Merced would be a better option with my 27' RB.

We will be arriving in the Valley March 28th. Not certain what the road conditions will be then I will be carrying cables as always. Is there any real difference between the two routes as far as elevation, chances of snow and road worthiness for an LD?

Any advice and insight would be greatly appreciated.

Kent
2015 27' RB "MissB.Haven"

Re: Best Route Into Yosemite Valley From Southern California
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 159163
140 east of Mariposa is still subject to one way traffic and delays due to slide repairs. You might want to check the CA DOT website for current road conditions *outside* the park:

http://www.dot.ca.gov/cgi-bin/roads.cgi

For road information *inside* the park, check http://www.nps.gov/yose

It's hard to say what the snow conditions (or other road issues) might be at the time you plan to go, but I don't recall that either 41 or 140 into the park would present a problem for a 27'.

Joan

2003 TK has a new home

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 159165
You may experience *some* minor road-widening construction delays on Highway 41 for a few miles north of Fresno, but nothing serious just yet. However, right now you are required to carry chains from Oakhurst north into the park, but that may be lifted by your time of travel.

If you are an Escapee member, be sure to stay at the Escapee Park of the Sierras, off road 416 just before Coarsegold. Boondocking the first night is free; $5.00/night thereafter; hookups are $21.00/night, including electric.

A beautiful time to visit. Enjoy!

Lorna
2003 RB

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 159167
Thanks everyone for your advice and links. I had heard that 140 was less prone to snowfall as it entered from a lower altitude without entering into snow levels.

I am so used to the 41 I can practically see it now. Lots of turns and twists. I suppose 140 would have similar topography.

I'll check road conditions before we hit the road. Thanks again.

Kent

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 159173
Last May we stopped to visit with Lorna for a few days in Coarsegold, then took 41 into Yosemite Valley with our 30'. We disconnected the car somewhere around Wawona to be safe and had no problems.

Gayle

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 159204
Thanks Lorna and Gayle,

It has been over twenty years since I have taken a rig into the Valley. Back then it was a 27' TT.

It will be nice to take the LD. Having spent the last ten years of visiting Yosemite at Curry Village.

I am not an Escapee's member, but that will soon end. It sounds like a great group.

Once again, thanks for your input. As it stands most folks seem to feel 41 is the route to take.

Kent

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 159209
Speaking of travels...any recommendations on places to visit to get some warmer weather in the southwest? We're traveling south from Boise, ID with our 2007 LD RB so Nevada in play.

Boon docking and less congested places preferred. Death Valley always nice but northern entrance to park currently closed due to earlier severe rains.

Any suggestions appreciated.

John

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 159210
If you can, go to Death Valley SOON while the super bloom is still happening! Go in from Beatty and travel north on Scotty's Castle Road up to Mesquite Springs Campground...that's where all the main blooming is happening now, as it starts to fade in the lower elevations. We just came from there on Friday and the flowers were magnificent!

Linda Hylton
Linda Hylton

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 159211
John,

I made two week long trips to Indian Cove Campground just outside Twentynine Palms, Ca.

Beautiful rock formations and some somewhat level sites. There is no water except a faucet at the Ranger Station (no threaded hose connection) and no dump. For that you will need to stop off at Black Rock Campground just down the road on the 62 in Yucca Valley. Water is free and dump station is $5.00.

Check out Rec dot gov for site availability and RV size limitations. It tends to reserve early for weekends but mid week is often open.

Indian Cove Campground closes during the warmer months from what I understand. There is also a visitor center off the 62 that has a lot to offer.

I'll post a pic of the rocks and vistas so you can have a look. My favorite site is # 88. Plenty of room for my 27' fairly level and views of the wash. Also it's on the very edge of the campground. Very nice. Many of the sites are too small for a 27' so pickings can be limited.

I hope this helps. It really is a very special place. Plenty of other campgrounds in the area as well.

Enjoy.

Kent

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 159222
Thanks Kent and Linda for suggestions.

Linda...you were just where we normally go when we visit Death Valley. Is road north of Scotty's Castle (267 to Hwy 95) still closed? Also, how was Mesquite Springs campground? Any lingering damage from previous storms?

I've also heard nice things about Valley of Fire State Park in NV.

John

Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 159224
Yes, the road from Scotty's Junction on US-95 down into DV is still closed, as is Scotty's Castle. The road to Ubehebe Crater is open.

Mesquite Springs Campground is open (that's where we always stay, including this last time).

Drive down to Beatty and enter DV from there...Daylight Pass Road, I believe it's called. Once in the park, head north on Scotty's Castle Road...you'll want to drive this road, anyway, to see all the flowers in bloom!

Valley of Fire State Park is very nice, although we normally boondock at a free area in Lake Mead NRA when we're in the Las Vegas/Henderson area.

Linda Hylton
Linda Hylton

Reply #13
Yahoo Message Number: 159228
Also see this site:

http://www.dvnha.org/

The videos give a good description of the flowers currently blooming. Check YouTube for additional videos and a search for "Death Valley Super Bloom 2016" will bring up more photo sites/blogs.

Joan
2003 TK has a new home