Skip to main content
Topic: time for a new spare tire? (Read 36 times) previous topic - next topic
time for a new spare tire?
Yahoo Message Number: 159151
Hi group,

We have a 2003 Mid-bath that is on its third set of Michelins. But I still have the original spare tire in the storage compartment and it has never been used. I do take it out at least once each year to check the air pressure and condition. It looks brand new. Getting it out of that passenger side compartment is no picnic ( it seems to be getting heavier each year!);-)

I know there must be a lot of us from that era, 2002-2008, that are probably in a similar situation. I am curious as to if you have replaced your spare tire? (Chris, Larry, Joan, Andy or.....)

Steve K.
Steve K

2003 Mid-bath

Re: time for a new spare tire?
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 159152
We just put our second set of new tires on our 2005 RB. The first set went on at 10,000 miles, and the second at 15,000. Obviously neither set was worn out, rather it was a timing decision.

We asked that the spare be rotated out of the loop, and one of the other tires put in its place.

Not sure if a protected new tire is best left in place for an emergency, or if the rotation method is better.

Opinions?

Judie

Non-typical brevity because this is being . ;->

dorrieanne.wordpress.com

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 159153
Steve K., I did replace the spare in my 2003 with a new tire a few months ago.

It probably would have been a smarter move to take the best tire from the last tire change and cycle that in as a spare - the tires showed little wear, but were close to 5 years old - but I just didn't think of it until I opened the spare tire compartment to check/re-caulk the seam and it dawned on me that a 12-year old spare was not the best equipment to rely on!

My tire shop guy gave me a very good deal on a fresh Cooper; I run Michelins on the motorhome, but the Cooper is fine for a spare.

Joan
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 159154
When I got new Michelins last year (recall replacement), Discount Tire would not service my spare because it was more than 10 yrs old (I think that was the number). As a replacement, I bought the cheapest tire they had.

Chris 2002 30' IB
Formerly: 2002 30' IB

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 159155
2007 Mid Bath. Yes I replaced the tire when I went with the new tires.
The why: ...I was going by the date code on the side. It was likely ok but did not want to take a chance needing it in the middle of nowhere and having it go bad.
...Also this way it is the exact same size at the other tires. I noticed that when I changed from the old Michelin M&S to the Michelin M&S2 there was a slight change in tire dimeter. (I noticed the change because of the relative speed on delta between the GPS and the Ford speedometer. Both sets were relatively new and run at the same tire pressure.)

John DaCrema 07 Mid Bath
Currently: 2008 36' Tiffin Open Road
Previously: 2007 Mid Bath

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 159160
I recently replaced all seven tires on my 2003 midbath. Yes, the spare looked good, but it was old, so why take a chance? It would be just too bad to have a flat, put on the spare, and then have that tire fail a few miles down the road.

In addition, I'm about to do something I had advised against in the past: mount the spare on the front, using a carrier that fits a 2" receiver added to the front end. A friend has been driving around for more than a year with a front-mounted spare on their E350-based motorhome, and it hasn't had a noticeable effect on the coolant or transmission temperatures. I'm now confident that it won't cause a problem if I do the same.

Getting the spare out of that cramped compartment under the couch will make it easier to check its pressure regularly, and much easier to access if I have a flat. It will transfer substantial weight from the rig's loaded-to-capacity rear end to the front. And of course it will free up a large volume of storage space. :-)

Andy Baird
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 159162
Just offering a couple of comments on the Michelin tire care/when to change tires page:

Passenger car tires and tires made for RV applications - in the case of our LDs, a light truck tire designation - certainly require similar care and attention, but it's important to note the "usage, stresses, and aging" differences between them.

"RV" tires are much more subject to *sidewall* wear than tread wear because they carry much heavier loads than passenger car tires; the tread on an RV tire may show minimal wear even when the sidewalls are cracked, weathered, bulging, alligatored, or missing chunks! Even if the tire's load rating is appropriate for the application, the effects of UV/weather exposure, sitting for extended periods of time, overloading, and underinflation (the latter two produce a lot of *heat*) will overstress the sidewalls and kill a tire pretty quickly.

Tread wear patterns on an RV tire (or any tire) definitely can indicate a variety of problems with alignment, wheel/tire imbalance, brakes, and a few other issues, but under most circumstances, the condition of the RV tires' sidewalls, not the tread, will be the "tell" as to when to replace the tires.

IMO, the 10-year tire life "estimate" should NOT apply to an "RV" tire; even under ideal conditions, diligent care, protection from UV exposure while sitting, and a good bit of luck, RV tires *may* be safe to ride on for 5-6 years, but there is no magic number of when a tire becomes unsafe.

As ever, YMMV.

Joan
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 159172
Thanks to those who took time post about spare tire replacement.

When we take the cover off the LD, I'll remove the spare and get a new or newer replacement. Hopefully, that will ward off the evil flat tire spirits.

Thanks again, Steve K.
Steve K

2003 Mid-bath

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 159177
Andy,

Where did you get the hitch receiver to mount on the front of your E-450 chassis? I know that Warn and a couple of other companies make front-mount hitch receivers; intended for winches mounted on a plate with a "stinger" that fits into he 2-inch receiver. Had one on my old GMC pickup but have never seen such a receiver for an E-450. I would like to mount the spare tire on my current coach in the same manner. The coach is "front end light" and a little extra weight would help improve the handling.

Doug

Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 159180
"Getting the spare out of that cramped compartment under the couch will make it easier to check its pressure regularly, and much easier to access if I have a flat"

Andy, or anyone else who knows, is the tire in the new mid-bath also in the compartment under the couch? On the Lazy Daze web site it looks like the spare tire is on the rear of the mid-bath like it is with my 2003 twin-king. I am on the waiting list to place an order and am considering a new mid-bath.

Monica
Monica
2017 MB

Reply #12
Yahoo Message Number: 159181
Be very careful to watch for overheating if carrying the spare in front of the radiator, especially when towing in summer heat. Blocking the radiator will have an effect, the question is how much?

This has been an issue with RVs and pickups for decades, when carrying bicycles and spare tires on the front bumper, and is the main reason why it isn't done often. I know people who have tried this and experienced overheating, before abandoning the practice.

The comparison between a lightweight E350, which isn't towing, and a loaded E450, which is towing, may not be valid. There could be a 6-7,000 lbs difference in the load.
Both the E350 and E450 have exactly the same cooling systems, so the E350 would be expected to have much more reserve cooling capacity.

Definitely keep an eye on the coolant and transmission temps.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #13
Yahoo Message Number: 159184
I do not think there has been a change in the 2016 MB, it would required redesigning the coach. I know for certain the 2015 MBs had the standard spare located in the side compartment At one time, MBs had a rear mounted spare tire but it was remove to allow more interior space and leg room for the driver.

Some MBs have carpeting in the side compartment that makes removing the spare just about impossible for anyone but weight lifters. The carpeting can be replaced with a slick vinyl sheet flooring, that allows the spare tire to slide more easily.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #14
Yahoo Message Number: 159189
The means of storing the spare wheel in an LD MB is a major reason that I did not buy another LD in 2014. My point of reference is a 2005 MB and I know the cargo compartment doors on a 2013 MB were the same size. Don't know about later models, but suspect that they are identical.

The height of the cargo door opening for the storage compartment was just a shade over 9.5 inches. The Michelin LT225-75R16 LTX/MS tire (in 2005) on the Ford rim, when laid flat, was over 9 inches tall. There was only about ½ inch clearance when passing the spare wheel through the cargo compartment door. The wheel had to be "dead level" to make it through. Doing this was not helped by the fact that the floor of the cargo compartment was about 1 ¼ inches lower than the bottom of the door opening.

In 2014 I acquired a new spare tire. Even though it was a Michelin LT225-75R16 LTX/MS tire it was not the identical physical size as the old tire; the height of the tire and rim were almost equal to the compartment door opening. The lower seal on the compartment door was badly damaged when the tire shop put the spare wheel back into the coach. I would suspect that people that have installed non-Michelin tires on their MB's have experienced similar problems.  All LT225-75R16 tires are not the same physical size; even Michelin's LTX/MS and LTX/MS2 are not the same. Even the inflation pressure of the tire comes into play as it increases the "side wall bulge."

When I looked at a new LD MB in the spring of 2013 I asked Todd if there were any plans to change the spare tire storage. "No." Also asked if LD would do one of two different special modifications (one very simple and one more complex) for me. Same answer to both; "no."

Larry mentioned the issue of sliding the spare wheel on the carpeted floor of the compartment. I made this task easier by putting a sheet of cardboard under the tire. Glued some sandpaper to the topside of the cardboard to keep the tire from slipping. Also put a loop of rope through the rim's lug holes that would act as a handle for pulling the tire to the rear of the compartment. Using a piece of tempered hardboard (peg board) with the "smooth" side down might have worked better than cardboard. I could have waxed it to make it slide easier.

Doug

Reply #15
Yahoo Message Number: 159191
Having a 27' RB my spare is inside the tire cover on the rear of the coach.

I feel your pain for all those who must contend with removing the spare from a side compartment.

I know that it is important to keep the spare fully inflated when stored, but does that mean it can't be slightly deflated to reduce its girth for entry and exit of the compartment?

If a flexible valve extension can be temporarily fitted to the spares valve stem, it may be possible to deflate slightly when removing and add air to it once it is put back in the compartment.

Not certain if it would help much, but it's just a thought.

Kent
2015 27' RB "MissB.Haven"

Reply #16
Yahoo Message Number: 159193
Yes Larry, food for thought. I've never run warm with the old e350, but I'm not sure I want to look at a spare up front. I used to carry a couple of bicycles out front on a camper rig, but I disliked having the extra length out front. Reading all the posts about LDs with the spare in a compartment makes me happy about having ours in the little hump, where it logically belongs. I sure would like to move a hundred pounds from the rear to the front axel though. Perhaps inflating the spare with helium?
Paul
'92 Mid Bath

Reply #17
Yahoo Message Number: 159194
On a MB the only time you really need to remove the spare is to use it as a spare. If you are using a road service, have that guy remove the tire for you.
There are three ways to check/add air without moving the spare.
The plywood ceiling of the compartment in question, is the same plywood that supports the passenger side cushion.
I did it the hard way by building a trap door right over the valve stem that I could open by removing the seat cushion. Used a simple barrel bolt and hinges on the access door.
Then a creative guy, showed me how he simply attached a long flexible extension to the spare, drilled a hole in the appropriate place, threaded the extension through the hole then just laid the cushion on the bent over extension.
If you want even simpler, just remove the handful of screws that secures the plywood. Lift off the cushion. Lift off the plywood. Now everything stored in that compartment is accessible. There are enough cross members that the plywood won't fall through if you don't use the screws again.
Ed

Reply #18
Yahoo Message Number: 159195
On the advice of a friend, I ordered a Reese #65001 front mount 2" receiver, a Draw-Tite #6715 spare tire carrier, and a #63201 J-pin stabilizer. This is the setup they're using on their rig, and it has worked well for a year or more.

Andy Baird
As an Amazon Associate Lazy Daze Owners' Group earns from qualifying purchases.
Andy Baird

Reply #19
Yahoo Message Number: 159196
"The comparison between a lightweight E350, which isn't towing, and a loaded E450, which is towing, may not be valid."

My friend tows a 5,000-pound boat trailer behInd their (other brand) E-350-based motorhome. No overheating problems to date... but I will be watching my coolant and transmission temperatures very carefully once I install this mod.

Andy Baird
Andy Baird

Reply #20
Yahoo Message Number: 159197
Andy, that Reese model does not appear to be a front-mount hitch? The

Draw-Tite 65053

appears to be designed for the job.

Steve
2004 FL
2013 Honda Fit

Reply #22
Yahoo Message Number: 159200
Hooray for Common Sense!

'' ... simply attached a long flexible extension to the spare, drilled a hole in the appropriate place, threaded the extension through the hole then just laid the cushion on the bent over extension.
'' If you want even simpler, just remove the handful of screws that secures the plywood. Lift off the cushion. Lift off the plywood. Now everything stored in that compartment is accessible. There are enough cross members that the plywood won't fall through if you don't use the screws again."

Reply #23
Yahoo Message Number: 159202
"Andy, that Reese model does not appear to be a front-mount hitch?"

Well, the product name is "Reese 65001 Front Mount Receiver" and the description says "Allow a variety of accessories to be mounted on the front of trucks vans or SUVs." That seems pretty definite. :-)

I cross-referenced it to Draw-Tite's identical product that carries the same part number. Draw-Tite's 65001 product description says that the item fits Ford vans from 1991 through 2007, while the Draw-Tite #65053 hitch mount that you mentioned is described as fitting Ford vans from 2008 through 2014. So it depends on what year your Lazy Daze chassis was built. For my 2003, the Reese/Draw-Tite #65001 is appropriate.

The Draw-Tite
Andy Baird

Reply #24
Yahoo Message Number: 159203
Sorry Andy, I mis-stated in that I thought it would not fit an E-450, since Amazon does not list that as an option for vehicle. However, the Draw-Tite site does not make a distinction, so I guess the E-350 and E-450 have the same attachment points in that vintage.

Steve
2004 FL
2013 Honda Fit