Skip to main content
Topic: new transmission info (Read 15 times) previous topic - next topic
new transmission info
Yahoo Message Number: 159095
I just talked to my daughter about the fluid squirting. She had to jump start the engine so the hood was open. Her friend saw the fluid "squirting all over" so he told her to shut it off. He said the dipstick felt loose so he checked the level and put it back in. She started the engine again. He said that very slight pressure on the stick stopped the leaking. She ran the engine for about twenty minutes to charge the battery and there was no fluid squirting out. Yesterday, about a month later, she started it again and the fluid squirted out again. Her friend just barely touched the dipstick and the squirting stopped again. She turned off the engine right away because she didn't want to cause any damage. The transmission has not been put in gear since last May.

My next question - can it just be a bad dipstick?

Re: new transmission info
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 159096
You check the transmission fluid level with the engine running, so nothing should be 'squirting out' with the dipstick completely removed. Still, these symptoms are unusual, so is it possible the transmission fluid has been overfilled? Check the level with the engine off. Also, it is possible there a problem with the transmission cooler that has allowed coolant to leak into the transmission. If so, you should see the oil in the coolant too.

Steve
2004 FL
2013 Honda Fit

Re: new transmission info
Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 159100
Steve,

It's very unlikely that the transmission was overfilled. We drove from Yuma to Sierra Vista, parked Ladybug and left for NJ. Our intention was to return in a three months so not much was done. This is the first time we ever let her sit for such a long time.

Karen