Skip to main content
Topic: Windshield repair/replacement? (Read 18 times) previous topic - next topic
Windshield repair/replacement?
Yahoo Message Number: 158936
Hi all!

My husband and I are brand-new Lazy Daze owners as of this weekend! We are absolutely thrilled to have just picked up our first RV, a 2002 26.5' Mid-bath. :D

However, the windshield is cracked. I checked a few auto windshield repair & replacement shops, and they say they don't do motorhomes (which seems odd, since the chassis is a truck?). I was hoping someone with more experience than me (READ: ANYONE!) could share some wisdom in things to be cautious of or recommendations you may have.

Thanks in advance and great to meet you all!

~Tobey

Re: Windshield repair/replacement?
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 158937
Did you check with Safelite? I have no idea if they will replace a windshield in a class C (the bottom of the cabover is very close to the top of the windshield, and there may be a problem with fitting the replacement equipment into the small space), but if you haven't contacted them, it might be worth a call.

https://www.safelite.com/windshield-replacement/

You didn't mention where you're located, but you might also check for a Ford truck center in your area; if they can't do the job, perhaps they might be able to suggest someone who can.

Joan
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 158938
Congrats on your LD. I can tell you're mighty excited and ready for great adventures. And good luck with that windshield repair. I gotta believe that you'll find someone to repair it for you just as Joan suggested. Take care.

Ed & Margee Fort worth

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 158941
A local guy in Lake Havasu City that I have known for years. His son works at Safelite and assisted him on a Saturday morning. Start to finish in just about an hour. No problems removing or installing the windshield. Most of their time was spent preparing the surface to receive the glass. Had to let it sit for 24 hours before I was able to drive it. Total cost to the insurance company was less than $300. I'd have to retrieve the receipt for an exact figure.

Fred 2003 RB

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 158942
I had Safelite fix a couple of dings in my windshield a few months ago. I talked with the guy doing the repair about replacement if it were ever needed. He said it was not a problem, though a bit more difficulty (expense) because of the overhang.

Bill
Bill
2003 -- 23' FL

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 158944
Don't say it's a motor home, tell them it's a Ford E450. Any glass outlet can do it. Many will come to you at no extra charge. Cost should be less than $150.

Ditto for any kind of service, say it's a E450, when they bite on that mention you need 10'3" overhead clearance.
Don & Dorothy
Sold our LD in June of 2023

Our boring always non-PC travel blog
Traveling Dorothy

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 158947
Bill,

I watched the entire process... The overhang did not create any problems!

Fred

2003 RB

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 158950
Don gives very good advice. Its a Ford Van. Have them come to you as thier shop may be too low.

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 158951
We just Safelite replace ours. We are in Dixon, CA and had a mobile truck come to our house to replace the LD windshield and one on a Honda Pilot.
Alas, no volume discount! Mary Tribbett

Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 158955
Safelight did one for us a few years ago. When I told them it was a Class C RV, they sent two guys to do the job. They had no problems and did a fine job.

WxToad @ Farr Park, Baton Rouge, LA www.wxtoad.com www.ultimatecampgrounds.com

Posted by:  encamino1103 Date: Tue Feb 23, 2016 7:43 am ((PST))

Did you check with Safelite? I have no idea if they will replace a windshield in a class C (the bottom of the cabover is very close to the top of the windshield, and there may be a problem with fitting the replacement equipment into the small space), but if you haven't contacted them, it might be worth a call.

Reply #12
Yahoo Message Number: 158956
In 2007, we had Safelite replace our windshield. Cost was $239. They have done great work for us on our other vehicles too.

Steve K
Steve K

2003 Mid-bath

Reply #13
Yahoo Message Number: 158958
Satellite is the answer.
I had many windshields replaced in my driveway, usually the next day after calling.
They work for most insurance companies, if you have glass coverage.

DO tell them it is a motorhome, it is much easier for two workers to place the new windshield.
Around here, one worker shows up and cuts the old window out and preps the opening. The second worker will sometime show up just before installing the new glass. We had the same two servicemen, in our area, for almost ten years, they know what they are doing.

I consider windshields as another consumable, they will get chipped, cracked, blasted and broken.
Repair bad chips immediately or cover with tape until the repair is made. The craters can get dirt deep inside the cracks and many times cannot be cleaned well. It can still be repair but will be very noticeable.

It is such a pleasure to drive, after replacing an old windshield, when driving into the late-afternoon sun.
Toad windshields get beat as badly as the LD's, so budget for their replacement every so many years too.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #14
Yahoo Message Number: 158959
After the crack ran all the way across and another one started, I replace our windshield at Reliable Glass in Rohnert Park, CA. They would not do it anywhere but on-site. I specified an OEM windshield and no tint at the top. The cabover already blocks enough light for these old eyes. I couldn't be more pleased with the results. Those great guys even peeled my military and state park decals off and reapplied them! I'm sorry I waited a couple of years to do it for fear of water leaks after a replacement. Nothing beats looking through a new windshield.
Linda, Brown 2008 TB

Reply #15
Yahoo Message Number: 158963
"I replaced our windshield at Reliable Glass in Rohnert Park, CA. They would not do it anywhere but on-site."

Todays windshields are glued in place with clear RTV silicone, which takes many hours to cure, that's why they do it onsite.

If done in a shop, it's best to leave the vehicle overnight.

When done right, silicone produces a very waterproof seal and the glass becomes structural, much better than the old rubber seals of past years. The down side it is very difficult to removed good windshields intact.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #16
Yahoo Message Number: 158968
Thank you all - this is exactly the wisdom and experience I was hoping to hear! I very much appreciate the education and will update you as to how it goes!

Reply #17
Yahoo Message Number: 158970
I'm not sure if I'm responding to the group or the author of this post, but I will add my experience. We have a 2009MB that had it's windshield cracked on I10 in Louisiana. It took the installer 3 tries to get a water tight seal all around the windshield, so it (water tightness) is something to check after installation.
2nd my sister, who has a Sprinter based motorhome, had some rust around her windshield. The upshot is that during the installation of a replacement windshield, the installer scraped some paint off the metal frame of the windshield, which then rusted. Actually, it had rusted a hole in the frame. The body shop basically said it was just a poor installation. Repair costs, including a new windshield, was around $2000.
Bad experiences can occur. Just check their work.
Ken
Former 2009 MB owner

Reply #18
Yahoo Message Number: 158974
The last pros I used about 3 years back used a black polyurethane to seal the new windshield in. Two guys about 1.5 hours and no long wait to drive, Don't know if they used the right stuff or not but it worked and never leaked...