Skip to main content
Topic: Got it! (Read 19 times) previous topic - next topic
Got it!
Yahoo Message Number: 159168
Picked up my 2016 sliver MB on Wednesday and drove it home to Boise. Very impressed with the power on hills although I was running with no load. The six speed transmission also helps.

Chris asked about the converter and it is a 75 amp Parallax 8300 series which I think is the same as 2015. I believe that means a continuously running fan which is not my first choice. To get a fan that runs "as needed" you have to have a unit under 65 amps - according to the literature. For those who know about such things, (not I) there is "temperature compensation" added and that device itself is called "TempAssure" in the literature package.

I'll get some pictures soon.

Frank
plan B - 2023 Travato

Re: Got it!
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 159169
We changed ours from a 75 amp unit to a 55amp unit. Cost $230 at Amazon and 45 minutes for a local tech to install. No more constantly running fan. Yeah!

Ian & Jean, Seattle
2015 MB

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 159175
Jake, that's great- I hope you like it as well as we like our "new" '92. We are on our maiden voyage. After a couple thosand miles we love it. Had to replace a fuel filter and as a precaution the fuel pump. We find we like the rig even more now than when we bought..

We have done a lot of work on ours, so any experience we can share we would be more than willing.

Happy travels!
Paul
'92 Mid Bath

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 159188
"We changed ours from a 75 amp unit to a 55amp unit. Cost $230 at Amazon and 45 minutes for a local tech to install. No more constantly running fan"

Your new LD has larger wiring and circuit breakers, in the charging system, to accommodate the higher converter charge rate. By downsizing the converter, you have lost the benefit of shorter generator run times, when compared to the previously used converters .

There are higher capacity converters that have variable speed cooling fans, such as some the Progressive Dynamics and Boondocker models.
Our LD has had a 70-amp PD9270 for many years and it's variable speed cooling fan is quiet most of the time. except during periods of heavy charging. The PD9270 is one of the largest drop in converters that will fit in a 7300 series case and it appears the 8300 cases are the same size.
A call to Randy at Best Converters is suggested to those want to upgrade to a quieter model, while keeping the higher charge rate.

The new 75-amp converter is just a bigger version of the previous 7300 converters.
The AGMs can accept a higher charge rate than traditional lead-acid batteries, so a bigger charger can be used. Once again, too bad a better converter was not chosen or made available as an option.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze