Skip to main content
Topic: Cell Phone Hot Spot vs Dedicated MiFi (Read 20 times) previous topic - next topic
Cell Phone Hot Spot vs Dedicated MiFi
Yahoo Message Number: 158806
We have used Verizon USB modem's and MiFi devices for years on the road. As I am sure you know, Verizon now has a data plan that can be shared between your iPhone and a MiFi device. I had never used the phone Hotspot. Tried it. In our location, we have a better connection with the phone than the MiFi. Seems odd, but that's the way it is - right here at least.

What has been your experience with phone hot spots vs dedicated devices???

One less thing, one less wire, one less thing to charge seems a plus to me.
Don & Dorothy
Sold our LD in June of 2023

Our boring always non-PC travel blog
Traveling Dorothy

Re: Cell Phone Hot Spot vs Dedicated MiFi
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 158807
We have used our android phones as a hotspot for years. I can't see paying an extra monthly fee for a dedicated device when the phone works so well.
Linda Hylton
Linda Hylton

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 158808
We also have used our android phones as a hotspot.   I must add that we use the Nexus devices.
 I always thought Verizon was just maximizing its profit when it push folks to use a dedicated device.

Glen
personal fine art photo stuff
TF Mack | Flickr
It's all good .......
2014 Twin King

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 158811
Does your MiFi have an external antenna on the roof? That's the only advantage I can see for my MiFi, but I didn't have my iPhone (also on Verizon) long enough to compare performance before the Mifi became erratic.
 I'm also thinking of dumping my DSL at home, and just using the iPhone hotspot. It's about 3X faster than the DSL, and I can add a lot of GB to my cell plan for the $35/month it's costing me.

Eric Greenwell
  [lifewithalazydazerv] wrote on 2/15/2016 2:15 PM:
2005 Jayco 24SS

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 158812
We have used our iPhones, as a mobil hotspot, for years. Works fine with tablets and laptops.
For our use, it's perfect.
Years ago, we used a Jetpack hotspot but today, it's usefulness is limited or nonexistent.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 158813
If you have VZ and an iPhone. Can you be using the hot spot plus receive/make  a phone call simultaneously?

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 158816
I assume so...I can certainly do that with my android phone.
Linda Hylton
Linda Hylton

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 158818
Yes, just turn feature on.
Our iPhone 5s allows up to 5 devices to connect to it Yes, can use phone at same time

Bob

--

Best,

Bob

Bob Farrell
Life enthusiast

"When you arise in the morning, think of

what a precious privilege it is to be alive...
to breathe, to think, to enjoy, to love."

~ Marcus Aurelius

Bob and Eileen
05 LD 27MB

https://bobneirv.wordpress.com

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 158819
Using the iPhone as a Hotspot does use lots of battery capacity, so best to keep it on the charger during Hotspot use.

Dale

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 158820
"Using the iPhone as a Hotspot does use lots of battery capacity, so best to keep it on the charger during Hotspot use."

Exactly. I want my phone on my person during the day--not sitting on a table, tethered to a charger. (I do that at night, using a 12 VDC charger next to my bed.)

Also, when using a cellular signal booster, as Larry explained, the phone would have to be within a foot or less of the booster's reradiating antenna (or in the case of a Wilson Sleek style booster, actually in the booster's cradle) in order to get the benefit of the amplified signal. Again, I want my phone in my pocket at all times--not tied down to some fixed device.

Finally, unless I'm mistaken, Verizon's CDMA technology won't let you take or make phone calls while using it for an internet connection. That can be a major pain if you ever need to call a company's support line about a problem, while referring to their website.

For all these reasons, I use a Verizon Jetpack for internet. Yes, I have the ability to use "Personal Hotspot" mode on my iPhone or iPads (they are included in my Verizon data plan, at a modest extra monthly cost), but that's just a backup in case my Jetpack malfunctions.

Andy Baird
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 158824
If you have a MiFi device through VZ, you can suspend service anytime you want and do it on-line. No charge to suspend or reactivated. The monthly charge for ours is $20. Not a huge sum, but I simply suspend service the day we get back from a trip then reactivated  a day, or so, before we are ready to head out once more. Rather than paying VZ for 12 months or service, I simply pay for the number of days I use.
You can do the same with phones should the need arise.

Ed

Re: [LD] Cell Phone Hot Spot vs Dedicated MiFi
Reply #12
Yahoo Message Number: 158825
"Finally, unless I'm mistaken, Verizon's CDMA technology won't let you take or make phone calls while using it for an internet connection."

No, that's not true, Andy.  I've had two Verizon android phones that I've used as hotspots over the past 4+ years and, with both of them, have been able to make and receive phone calls while using it in hotspot mode.  One phone was a Motorola, one was a Samsung.

The other problems you mentioned aren't a problem "for us."  When we're using our phone as a hotspot, it sits right next to me so is always available.  If we go somewhere, the phone comes with us, we certainly don't leave it behind sitting on the table!  Of course, we leave the phone in hotspot mode only when we're actively using our computers.

Linda Hylton
Linda Hylton

Reply #14
Yahoo Message Number: 158830
I was told by a Verizon employee that when you use a phone as a hot spot it uses twice as much data as a directly connected device.  When I used my phone as hot spot because the iPad had used most of it's monthly data it seemed to burn through data quickly.

Jay Carlson
Jay Carlson
2003  LD RB
2005 Bigfoot 40MH35LX
rvingjaygwynne.wordpress.com

Reply #16
Yahoo Message Number: 158834
"The other problems you mentioned aren't a problem "for us."  When we're using our phone as a hotspot, it sits right next to me so is always available.  If we go somewhere, the phone comes with us, we certainly don't leave it behind sitting on the table!  Of course, we leave the phone in hotspot mode only when we're actively using our computers."

That describes our usage exactly.
The phone remains usable when the hotspot is on.

Larry
Larry

Reply #17
Yahoo Message Number: 158835
Per a short test, Samsung Phablet & Andriod runs mobile hotspot and phone call simultaneously.  No test of throughput nor power usage tho'.
YMMV

Joel
Joel & Terry Wiley
dog Zeke
2013  31 IB   Orwan   / 2011 CRV Tow'd LWEROVE

Reply #18
Yahoo Message Number: 158838
Sure, I'd expect a cell phone to consume less data than a laptop while doing the same tasks, but the thread doesn't seem to address our real concern: does using your cell phone as a hotspot for your laptop use more of your data than using a MiFi with the laptop? I can't think of any reason for a significant difference.

Eric Greenwell
  [lifewithalazydazerv] wrote on 2/16/2016 9:17 AM:
2005 Jayco 24SS

Re: Cell Phone Hot Spot vs Dedicated MiFi - II
Reply #19
Yahoo Message Number: 158841
I originally posted -- We have used Verizon USB modem's and MiFi devices for years on the road. As I am sure you know, Verizon now has a data plan that can be shared between your iPhone and a MiFi device. I had never used the phone Hotspot. Tried it. In our location, we have a better connection with the phone than the MiFi. Seems odd, but that's the way it is - right here at least.

My original question was meant to solicit facts or opinions on connectivity -- What has been your experience with phone hot spots vs dedicated devices???

We are now in another location. One bar extended. The cell phone beats out the MiFi by a large margin. With the MiFi, we time time-out before loading a page. On the phone hot spot, connection was quite speedy. It does not seem reasonable, but that's the way it's working.
Don & Dorothy

Traveling Dorothy

Reply #20
Yahoo Message Number: 158842
Do you have a Sleek booster attached to a roof mounted  antenna? If so, during your test, was either device using the booster vs receiving the signal through the LD aluminum skin?

Ed

Reply #21
Yahoo Message Number: 158843
I am sleek all over Ed, thanks.
No, the booster was not in play.

I had tried to us it the day before to boost the MiFi, it did not. And the iPhone did not need it.

BTW, this is an iPhone 6 that is beating the MiFi. And Andy is right, it sucks up it's battery.
Don & Dorothy

Traveling Dorothy

Reply #22
Yahoo Message Number: 158844
Hello Don.
Interesting.
My results using the MiFi in the Sleek have consistently resulted in improved reception vs not using the Sleek. Ditto with the iPhone 5 when placing phone calls in marginal areas. I don't use the 5 as a hot spot because it can't handle voice and data simultaneously like your 6. The cheap in me won't permit an upgrade to a 6.
Maybe results vary  with the strength of the signal you begin with? At any rate, enjoy your FL visit.

Ed

Reply #23
Yahoo Message Number: 158846
"My results using the MiFi in the Sleek have consistently resulted in improved reception vs not using the Sleek. Ditto with the iPhone 5 when placing phone calls in marginal areas. I don't use the 5 as a hot spot because it can't handle voice and data simultaneously like your 6. The cheap in me won't permit an upgrade to a 6"

Ed

Unless you are next to a cell tower, you will almost always get a better signal with the amplifier and decent exterior antenna. The coach's aluminum skin does degrade the signal.

Some cell devices have better range than others, when used without an amplifier.
My wife's old iPhone 4 worked where my 5S saw nothing. The 6 is a lot better but it's a lot bigger too.
There are cheaper non-apple phones that can simultaneously talk and provide a hotspot. Many or most new smart phones do.

Using the iPhone as hotspot, on Verizon, saves the cost of buying a Mifi device and the $10 monthly device connection fee.  Less stuff is a good thing.  If we full timed, I might feel different We switched our home phone from an ATT hardwired account to a Verizon Wireless Home Phone. It's added to our basic Verizon account for $20 a month, a lot cheaper than ATT, plus it has most of the same features as our cell phones. The phone sounds the same and is the third of the cost.
 https://www.verizonwireless.com/home-office-solutions/wireless-home-phone/

As poor as our Warner internet cable is, have considered going totally wireless.

Yes, using the hotspot consumes the cell phone's battery faster, so plug it in to a 12-volt charger when using it. You have to keep a Mifi device plugged in too, to keep it's battery charged.
Either way, about the same amount of coach battery power is consumed .

Larry
Larry

Reply #24
Yahoo Message Number: 158847
Larry
1) our VZ MiFi monthly charge is $20 plus a bunch of taxes. I suspend service when we are home so probably spend in the $80 - $100/year range. The hardware is "free" like "free" phones are free.
2) with two cell phones in your household, what added value did you see by adding the VZ wireless landline?
3) if you are planning on streaming all TV in place of cable, you will need a huge data allowance. We tried that briefly and went through our 30 gig plan in about 15 days and that was with a TV antenna to get the local networks.

Take care

Ed