Skip to main content
Topic: cell booster install (Read 32 times) previous topic - next topic
cell booster install
Yahoo Message Number: 158780
I thinking about various options to increased cell phone range.   I've read some good reviews on the weBoost Drive 4G-M.   Have anyone on this group had experience with it.

Thank you for any help
Glen
2014 TK
personal fine art photo stuff
TF Mack | Flickr
It's all good .......
2014 Twin King

Re: cell booster install
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 158781
Glen,

I can't comment on the device you've mentioned, but I have three Wilson Cell Signal boosters, one each for my house and garage\office out in rural Arkansas, and another in my Lazy Daze. The two for buildings I've had for at least three years if not longer, the one for the RV is a couple of years old. They have all been trouble-free. Prior to having the two at home, we would have to step outside to talk on our cell phones for a reliable conversation (the nearest cell tower is seven miles away), whether in the house or office. After the installation of these, that was no longer necessary. In the house, we now use an AT&T mobile hot spot for internet instead of the miserable internet service our phone company provided.  My experience is the same in the RV. If there's any signal at all, it will usually be much improved by switching on the signal booster. There are lots of folks in the forum that have far more experience than I do living day to day with devices like this, and they can be more specific about what to expect than I can.

If you're handy at all, these are easy to install and set up, instructions are good, and in my experience very reliable.

HTH  
Bill

2003--23'FL
Bill
2003 -- 23' FL

Re: cell booster install
Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 158789
"I've read some good reviews on the weBoost Drive 4G-M.   Have anyone on this group had experience with it."

Glen

WeBoost (a terrible name, IMO) are the old Wilson cellular amps, with a new name.
This amp has been in production for couple years now and I have installed three of them.
The amp is advertised as wireless, requiring no physical connection to the phone or router. It has an antenna mounted inside the MH that connects tot he device.  Unfortunately, the range is extremely limited and to get maximum signal strength requires having the inside antenna right next to the device. A separation of more than foot will decrease the signal strength.

Knowing the limitations, the amps do work great but can be significantly improved adding a high-gain antenna and low loss lead-in cabling.
It can seriously add to the cost, over the small, low gain antennas, but will enable you to connect in places you would have never had thought possible.
Here is the antenna I built for Andy several years ago. Our LD has a the same antenna and lead in cabling, used with the Wilson (weBoost) amp.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/lwade/sets/72157629379463822/with/7047010619/

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze