Skip to main content
Topic: Strategies to Key Safety (Read 75 times) previous topic - next topic
Strategies to Key Safety
Yahoo Message Number: 158750
I have this never ending phobia that we'll be boondocking in some remote paradise and I'll lock the LD keys in the RV.  We have two (2) sets of keys for the LD and two (2) for the Toad.  So tonight, as I was having this never ending phobia, I thought I'd leave the second set of LD keys locked in the Toad and keep the second set of Toad keys in the LD.  Now I know that I'm often more than a bubble off center, but I wondered if any other folks have ponder this matter?  Maybe I need a third set of keys and wear them like a necklace!!!

Ed & Margee Heading for Fort Richardson State Park

Re: Strategies to Key Safety
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 158751
If they're very well hidden, that seems like a good plan. My fear would be that if they were easily found, someone who broke into either vehicle could drive off with both if they found those keys! It's so hard to figure out the tradeoffs to make.

- Michael

Former MB and 26-IB owner

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 158752
"If they're very well hidden, that seems like a good plan."

Please don't hide them under the rear bumper, it is the most common place I find them.
Same goes for magnetic Hide-a-Keys, much to easy to find and they do fall off.

I keep two door keys, cut down as much as possible and still useable, in my wallet.
It's always with me.

Alternately, look for a hidden spot, under the coach where you can attach a door key, securing it with  lightweight wire.
Best is a spot where the keys can then be taped to something,  spray painted black and finished with a thin coating of mud, to disguise them.
Try not to forget where you hid them.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 158754
Here's my method.  Keep a set hidden somewhere; doesn't matter where - just well hidden.  The object is to make it invisible, much as Larry has described.

The idea is to never need to retrieve that key.  When you are at the point of locking the rig, be firm with yourself about never locking it by pushing a button and then closing the door; ALWAYS lock it using the key.  If you simply MUST lock the door by pushing a button, DO NOT PUSH THAT BUTTON until you have touched (or looked at) your keys and know exactly where they are, and that you are touching (or looking at) the RIGHT set of keys.

If you travel with another person, that person should ALWAYS have a set of keys on his/her person in case something happens to your keys.  They have been known to disappear into thin air, fall down a sewer grate, fall into the pit toilet, or any number of other totally improbable possibilities.  Again, if you travel with another person, it is helpful to designate one person as the locker, and the other as the checker.  This eliminates the obvious question when you are ten miles down the road away from the rig:  "Honey, did you lock the door?".

It's easy to assume that the front cab doors are locked when you leave the rig, but maybe someone opened one of them earlier in the day for some reason, but forgot to lock it again.  It happens.  Also check that the cab windows are up.  As you leave the rig, do a walk around to see if there are any valuables lying about, and check the bins (I know . . . 751), and the three doors.  While you are at it, turn the water off at the connection.

This routine takes only moments, but provides some peace of mind while you are gone, and hopefully minimal surprises when you return to your site.

Virtual hugs,

Judie http://dorrieanne.wordpress.com

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 158755
I keep a full set of keys hidden inside my RB and a key to the coach is hidden in the propane compartment! Plus I always have a set on my person when I am outside the coach. I like Larry's idea of keeping a filed down key in one's wallet...

Fred 2003 RB

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 158756
Some very helpful ideas for sure.  If I cut & paste a couple of the above ideas, we actually have a better plan for managing my "lost key" phobia than in my OP!  LOL.  I especially like a cut down key combined with Judie's suggestions that included a walk-around, a locker, and a checker.  All good stuff.  We're going to implement the Judie Key Security Plan today!  Thank you for your thoughts on this goofy question.

Ed

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 158757
The basics have been covered.  I do not hide a full set outside.  I have a full set stored inside the RV, for both the TOAD and the LD.  They aren't obvious, but neither are they so well hidden that they would not be found if someone were inside and ransacking the place.  I have a single key to the LD side door VERY well hidden outside.  It is covered with enough black rescue tape that even if someone were to find it, they wouldn't know what that lump of black was.  That key would get me access to keys inside for the RV and the TOAD, so I don't have other key sets wandering about.  My TOAD key set includes a LD side door key.  When I leave the LD, the LD keys usually stay inside.  Finally, as Joan said, I follow key discipline.  I do not lock the LD door unless I am holding a key set in my hands.

Ken F in NM
'08 MB

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 158758
"Finally, as Joan said, I follow key discipline. I do not lock the LD door unless I am holding a key set in my hands."

--- Ken, I do agree, but I think Judie gave this good advice!

So far, I have managed not to lock myself out of the LD, which is a plus, since I can't remember where I stashed the extra cab entry door/ignition key! I know there's a spare key set for the motorhome somewhere in the house; it surfaces periodically in unlikely places. I muse a bit about finding a permanent, clever hidey hole for the set in/on the rig every time I re-discover those keys, then I forget about it again. If/when I find them again, I will figure out a hiding place - if I remember. ;-)

As Larry said, the magnetic key boxes aren't reliable; at least three of these have dropped off various vehicles over the years, and the amount of "plastic parts" on newer cars and RVs makes it hard to find metal for the box to stick to!

Going to ferret out the spare key set now; don't want to deprive myself of the joys of re-discovery! ;-)

Joan
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 158760
On our '02 30' I cannot lock the door without using a key(s) (there are 2 locks); therefore, it would be impossible to lock myself out. Perhaps locks have changed over the years??? Loosing the key is another issue. I keep my extra door key behind the propane tank and a full extra set inside. Hmmm...wonder if it's still there?

Chris
Formerly: 2002 30' IB

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 158761
On our '02 30' I cannot lock the door without using a key(s) (there are 2 locks); therefore, it would be impossible to lock myself out. Perhaps locks have changed over the years???

--- Chris, the cab doors on my 2003 have a door lock switch on the arm rest; I can lock the cab doors by just pressing this switch when exiting the cab. (I don't know about changes in later model years.)

I've known a couple people who have taken the keys out of the ignition, put them on the "console" (a teeny shelf-cum-cup holder thing in a 2003) or seat, and pushed the lock button when getting out of the cab; if the entry door is also locked, well..... ;-)

A dog or cat (or child) can easily step on (press) this cab door lock switch; one LDer, Lydia (who has a 2006), devised a "re-wire" solution to prevent this from happening; I think her "how to" is in the Files section.

All in all, having a spare key set outside the rig is a very good idea!

As ever, YMMV.

Joan
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 158762
Have you ever exited the rig through the driver's door and locked it behind you?

A slight wrinkle in leaving a key on the outside would be to put one in one of the compartments (hidden, of course), but the key to ONLY the door(s).  A set of keys inside, which includes the ignition key, could be in a secure location.  Granted nearly any other RV'er could get into your bin(s), but they really wouldn't know which bin to look in, or where exactly to look, and even if located, it would be the key to ONLY the entry door(s).  Benefit:  If you lock yourself out, and don't have a spare 751 key, nearly anyone nearby should be able to help you out!  ;->  This scheme would be enhanced by carrying a spare 751 key with you at all times, in a manner as Larry noted.

This additional scheme might be possible if you tow a car.  I haven't tried this, but we were surprised one time to hear clunking noises coming from the back tire of our sedan.  Upon inspection, we found a key to the door and ignition of the car had been taped with masking tape to the inside of the hubcap!  This car had formerly been owned by in-laws who had passed on, without having passed on this information.  We don't know when the key was placed there, but the car was about ten years old at the time.  We did not replace the key, but thought it was a good idea.  And, yes, we still have the car!

Virtual hugs,

Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 158763
Lydia's "Power Door Lock and Window Interrupt Switch" PDF is on the Techsnoz site in the Files section.

Joan
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #13
Yahoo Message Number: 158765
We have three sets of keys to our Mb. One for my right pants pocket, one for my left pants pocket, and one for my wife to carry in her purse (in case I lose my pants somewhere, haha).

Sounds a little paranoid, but I have no worries about locking the keys in the cab.

Barry "O" 06MB-Ruby Red
2006 27' MidBath

Reply #14
Yahoo Message Number: 158772
I seem to be having a "dumber than a doorknob" moment...I wanted to join Techsnoz to read about Lydia's lockout solution, but keep getting a message about an error loading content (about 6 times), & the code changes again, preventing me from sending the request.  Any suggestions are appreciated.  Thx.

Lynne LDy Lulubelle, '05 30' TB Lilly, 4-Legged Alarm
Lynne
LDy Lulubelle, Green '05 31' TB
Lilly, the 4-Legged Alarm

Reply #15
Yahoo Message Number: 158775
Our 2011 Honda CRV has an electronic fob key needed to start it.  A non fob ignition key is used for towing - it won't start with it.  A second one duct taped to the backside of the license plate is available unless I lose my knife and my last quarter.
Joel
Joel & Terry Wiley
dog Zeke
2013  31 IB   Orwan   / 2011 CRV Tow'd LWEROVE

Reply #16
Yahoo Message Number: 158776
Way back in the day when I was still driving Blue (1990 multi-plan), there was a square rectangle of caulking up on the roof by the ladder.  While at the Mothership, Vince and I discovered that the original owner had taken the cab and engine keys, laid them on the roof and covered them with caulking.  We thought it was a patch job!!!

Lisa and Ghost Rider.
2005 RB

Reply #17
Yahoo Message Number: 158786
If your telephone has such a feature, you might try, the next time they surface in the unlikely place, making a note, encrypted or otherwise, of the hiding place in your house or motorhome.  I seldom go anywhere without my iPhone, so that information would likely be with me.  To keep that information in your house, you might try designating an unlikely spot to keep a note of this same information.

How to?  Well, when I bought a Tilley hat about two decades ago, there was a note in it that said that the hat was guaranteed for life against wearing out, and even if you lost it through completely your own fault, they would sell you another at half price - IF you had the sales receipt.  How to keep track of that itty bitty piece of paper?  They said to put it in the left-hand back corner of your bottom dresser drawer, and when the time came to need it, you could call them and they would tell you where to look!  This method could probably be somehow adapted for use with at item(s) other than a sales receipt!  ;->

Virtual hugs,

Today:   In 'N' Out Pizza

Reply #18
Yahoo Message Number: 158821
Folks, just a gentle reminder: this is the World Wide Web we're using. World Wide means that when you post the clever "hidden" location of your spare vehicle key or the safe with your valuables in this forum, you have just told the whole world exactly how to steal your property. Your secret is no longer a secret.

If you've already done this, I suggest you find a new location pronto... and this time, don't tell the world about it. Remember, anybody can read these posts.

Andy Baird
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #19
Yahoo Message Number: 158822
Lynne

Were you successful in reaching my article in Techsnoz?

Regards

Lydia
Lydia.
Current: 2020 JLUR w 15’ Squaredrop
Former: 2006 30IB Anniversary Edition

Reply #21
Yahoo Message Number: 158836
To be honest most thieves don't look for a key. I have had one truck broke into. The damage to the truck and the items stolen was in excess of 6k. The wife had a mini van stolen at work that was recovered after six weeks as they were actually replacing the brakes along side the street. They were still driving it with the screwdriver and I had to replace the ignition switch and a 14.00 dollar plastic trim piece.

Where i hid the key would be the least of my worries.

Garry

Reply #22
Yahoo Message Number: 158837
Why not use a key storage lock box (as used by realtors), mounted/attached in the propane compartment?  All you need to remember is the combination, which you set.

Dale

Strategies to Key Safety
Reply #23
Yahoo Message Number: 159043
Today, we bought a 3rd set of keys for the LD to include one for the Ford truck and two (2) for the coach door. The cost for all three keys was $7.00. We used a cut & paste method of all the advice on this subject to come up with our Key Security Plan. The heart of the plan is to have three sets of keys, which means if we "misplace" a set, we still have two sets of keys. As someone mentioned to us, it might be wise to keep the details of the plan to ourselves and NOT to advertise it on the Internet. Now I can scratch this project off my short "To-Do" List.

Ed & Margee Fort Worth

Reply #24
Yahoo Message Number: 159048
I'm pretty sure that you've done so, but be sure to check that the new keys open what they're supposed to! I've had keys cut that didn't work!

Joan
2003 TK has a new home