Skip to main content
Topic: tire rotation and alignment (Read 22 times) previous topic - next topic
tire rotation and alignment
Yahoo Message Number: 158682
I know most folks don't have tire rotation and wheel alignment done .  I believe this is cheap insurance and allows me to get the most mileage out of those very expensive tires.
I needed to have bushings added to bring the front end back to middle of factory specs.  Whole cost was $170.

glen
personal fine art photo stuff
TF Mack | Flickr
It's all good .......
2014 Twin King

Re: tire rotation and alignment
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 158683
"I know most folks don't have tire rotation and wheel alignment done..." ---- I don't necessarily agree, but this link to tire wear charts/explanations might help an owner to decide whether a rotation and/or alignment (or another service) needs doing.

FWIW, I rotate the front wheels on my motorhome, but not the duals. I *do* keep a close eye out for any unusual wear on all the tires; if a wear pattern indicated the need to pull the duals and further assess the cause for abnormal wear, I would do it immediately.

https://www.pepboys.com/tires/treadsmart/typical_treadwear_patterns

As ever, YMMV.

Joan
2003 TK has a new home

Re: tire rotation and alignment
Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 158685
"FWIW, I rotate the front wheels on my motorhome, but not the duals. I *do* keep a close eye out for any unusual wear on all the tires; if a wear pattern indicated the need to pull the duals and further assess the cause for abnormal wear, I would do it immediately. "

Joan's method is good for most of us who average 6-8,000 miles a year. When our tires reach their 6 year maximum life, they usually have plenty of usable tread left.

The rear duals tend to wear evenly, as long as the tire pressures have been kept correct, so rotation isn't normally done unless unusual wear is noticed. Rotation of the duals is a pain to do, made even more so with extended valve stems.

The front tires do wear a little unevenly, depending on what side they are mounted on, mostly caused by cornering.
For this reason rotating the front tires, at the same time the engine oil is changed, is recommended to keep the tread flat and even across the face of the tread.
Feathering along the edges of the front tire's tread blocks is an indication of a toe alignment problem, the most common front end problem.
As the front coil springs settle and sink, slowly over many miles, the front steering's toe adjustment changes from a slight negative toe-in or neutral toe to a positive toe. This will cause accelerated tire wear and possible steering issues, if bad enough.
You can better detect tire alignment problem by running your hand across the face of the tread. The raised parts should all be at the same height and the face smooth, with no high spots or tapered (feathered) edges.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze