Skip to main content
Topic: ctek battery charger (Read 10 times) previous topic - next topic
ctek battery charger
Yahoo Message Number: 158633
OK.

I have a 1.2-120 Ah branded charge-o-mat sitting around, and I was wondering if I could use it to keep my engine battery charged.  It plugs into the "cigarette lighter socket" on the dash, and I know there is one that  stays hot.  I have a 2008 MB on the E450 chassis of course.  I thought I would plug it in to an outlet in the interior, since we keep our RV plugged in, and feed it water every month.

So, being really naive about these things, should I try it?  What should I worry about?

I know there are trickle chargers with battery clamps,  but I have this toy, and would like to play with it!  Also, this seems to be something within my skill set.  :-)

Thanks for your patience, and all your help over the years!

Holly 2008 MB Hernando, FL

Re: ctek battery charger
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 158634
Although I have not investigated this issue, I suspect that if one of the lighter sockets on the dash IS always live, it probably is connected to the coach battery bank. If you have a voltmeter, check the voltage on it while on shorepower, while the engine has been off awhile. If the reading is 13V or higher, it IS connected to the coach batteries, and your charging scheme will not work.

Steve
2004 FL
2013 Honda Fit

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 158639
Holly, we have an '09 MB and one of the 12V sockets on the dash is always hot.  In the moment, I can't remember which one, but it's the one we use for our GPS.   If you have a 12V phone charger, just plug it into both sockets and see if your charger lights up.  Hope this helps.

Ed & Margee Fort Worth

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 158640
For the most part Ford dash Lighter sockets have always been hot even with the key off. That in and of it self has nothing to do with whether it is on the coach or chassis battery. However there are usually 12 volt sockets back in the coach that are ran off the coach battery.