Skip to main content
Topic: Island Bed Question (Read 17 times) previous topic - next topic
Island Bed Question
Yahoo Message Number: 158587
I am interested in the IB floor plan but I'm concerned about the sewer outlet location. On my Rear Kitchen model the sewer connection valves are easily damaged creating a messy repair job.  Is this a issue for the IB model?
2008 MB

Re: Island Bed Question
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 158593
We've had our IB of 4 years now with no issue.  I am very careful when crossing intersections or leaving/entering a driveway and always take the turn on an angle, going as slowly as I can.  I am assuming that is what you mean by damage.  Where you referring to this or some other type of damage?  In any case, we love our model and after we changed out the mattress we sleep very comfortably.  Making up a bed every night got very old on our RB, although we loved all the windows so much.

Jules
'O6 IB Anniversary Model
Sue, My Copilot
Carlie, our canine princess

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 158615
The outlet on our 13 31 IB is to the rear of the wheels and is below the frame.  Similar to a TT we had last millenium.  A tire separation incident broke the outlet hardware downstream from the valves (fortunately).  A straightforward replacement job.
Joel & Terry Wiley
dog Zeke
2013  31 IB   Orwan   / 2011 CRV Tow'd LWEROVE

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 158684
Thank you Joel and Jules. It sounds like you both have not had issues with your sewer valves being damaged from driveways at gas stations, shopping centers etc... I like the floor plan very much!
2008 MB

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 158686
The 31' LD models do have one of the more exposed black water tank valves. I have changed a few through the years and watched one, a couple summers ago, being broken while the LD was being backing into a driveway. That was a fun afternoon.

Part of the problem is the valve being mounted so near the rear of the coach, combined with the very long rear overhang. You will need to very careful with deep gutters and/or steep driveways.
For some reason gas stations seen to be a major trouble spot when it come to sharp and deep driveways.

I suggest carrying an extra set of dump valves...and bucket, for field repairs. I do and so do many experienced RVers.  Even if a valve isn't broken, they do jam up and/or stop sealing, either way, a replacement probably is going to be needed.  The spare valves are stored along with the extra water pump, the other item whose common failure can mess up a trip.

The 2015+ T/Ks also have low hanging dump valves that concern me.
Our 23.5'FL dump valves have been raised as high as they can go and have still been scraped a few times. They are mounted just rearward of the dual's wheel well, in a better protected place. I suspect we have driven down a few roads we should't have taken.
Any LD's dump are vulnerable in the right situation.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 158708
There are a couple of Vee angle iron scrape alarm/protectors on the rear chassis. They have engaged twice and told me to pay better attention to driveway clearances.  8-)
Joel & Terry Wiley
dog Zeke
2013  31 IB   Orwan   / 2011 CRV Tow'd LWEROVE

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 158809
What Larry said - agree.  But I'm thinking if you manage to get yourself into geography that damages the dump valves on your IB30, then you've got a lot more to worry about with the other damage you've done aft of the dump valves.

My biggest worry with our rig is hitting road alligators.  Your dump valves on any LD rig are vulnerable to these impacts, along with everything else on the underside that tangles with them.

Road 'gators - the nightmare of RV owners of every make and model.

Dan and Lynn 2007 IB-30
2007 IB-30