Skip to main content
Topic: Shore power charge house batteries? (Read 18 times) previous topic - next topic
Shore power charge house batteries?
Yahoo Message Number: 158553
Do the house batteries stay fully charged when the coach is stored and hooked up to shore power?

Re: Shore power charge house batteries?
Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 158561
My engine battery has a disconnect under the hood to keep it fresh.  But when not in use I disconnect one of the negative cables on the house batteries to keep them fresh

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 158591
"Do the house batteries stay fully charged when the coach is stored and hooked up to shore power?"
 If you are referring to all but the most recent LD vintages, the answer is that not only can the converter not fully charge the batteries, but can simultaneously boil away the electrolyte if stored connected to shorepower. This turned out to be an expensive issue for those with factory AGM batteries that were ruined prematurely. The most recent vintages have a multi-stage charger that will charge the batteries quickly and completely without overcharging. Likewise after-market converters can be installed in all the older vintages which will also work well.

Steve
2004 FL
2013 Honda Fit

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 158608
We have a '09 MB and on page 40 of the Motorhome Manual, there is a section called 120V/12V Power Panel (Converter - Parallax 7345).  "... the converter can supply up to 45 amps to charge the house batteries (not the chassis battery)."  So I would make a wild guess and say your newer model probably has the same feature.  Hope this helps.

Ed & Margee Fort Worth

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 158610
Check to be sure it's a multi-stage charger because low tech ones will boil batteries dry.
(What is that odd sulfur smell honey?)