Skip to main content
Topic: Air Conditioner Power Question (Read 25 times) previous topic - next topic
Air Conditioner Power Question
Yahoo Message Number: 158446
I'm just a little bit confused about running the air conditioner on a 15 amp circuit. If I use a heavy enough extension cord and can connect to the 30 amp connector on the LD, is it safe to run the air conditioner?  I thought the LD manual says that this could cause damage to the A/C?  Yet if the A/C operates on a 15 amp circuit, why can't I use a heavy duty extension cord connected to a 120V connection, which is a 20 amp circuit in my house?  I'd sure like to be able to run the A/C in the summer while getting it ready for trips, without installing 30 amp service.

Ed & Margee Eisenhower State Park, TX

Re: Air Conditioner Power Question
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 158447
You can run the a/c on that 20amp circuit. Use the 30amp cord with a 15amp plug converter in the house outlet. Remember that the starting load on the LD a/c can be twice the amperage of the running amperage (so I have read), but it's only for a second or two and shouldn't trip the 20amp breaker. Someone will correct me if I am wrong. 30 Amp RV Female to 15 Amp Male Adapter

Chris
Formerly: 2002 30' IB

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 158448
Hi, Ed--

I ran the AC when I was plugged in at my aunt's home last summer (& a space heater later in the fall), using an adapter like the one shown in Chris's response.  I had to learn not to use the microwave & AC at the same time--half-popped popcorn doesn't finish popping after I went stumbling around in the dark with a flashlight to reset the GFCI outlet under the deck...but the birds cleaned up the old maids the next day.  Also, I plug in here at home so I can get the fridge cooled down when I'm prepping to head out, & have had no problems.

Lynne LDy Lulubelle, '05 30' TB Lilly, 4-Legged Alarm
Lynne
LDy Lulubelle, Green '05 31' TB
Lilly, the 4-Legged Alarm

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 158449
Ed,

I bit the bullet and installed a 30 amp outlet outside my house. Now I can pretty much run anything I want and not worry about overloading any house circuit. If I am home for any length of time, and/or there is a chance of freezing requiring space heaters,. I connect to my 30 amp outlet. If I'm at home for a short time, solar keeps the batteries happy and provide plenty of power for all the LED's I installed. If I need the A/C for a short time, I just exercise my generator.

Fred

2003 RB

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 158450
"I'm just a little bit  confused about running the air conditioner on a 15 amp circuit. If I use  a heavy enough extension cord and can connect to the 30 amp connector  on the LD, is it safe to run the air conditioner?  I thought the LD  manual says that this could cause damage to the A/C?  Yet if the A/C  operates on a 15 amp circuit, why can't I use a heavy duty extension  cord connected to a 120V connection, which is a 20 amp circuit in my  house?"

Here is the issue:
 The 15A A/C circuit in the rig is a short run from the breaker to the unit, so if the 30A circuit to the panel has correctly sized wiring, that 15A breaker will see essentially 120 VAC. Even with 14 gauge wiring to the unit, voltage drop should be minimal at the A/C. However, if you connect the 30A shorepower cable to a 20A circuit, the voltage drop at the panel will be much higher under load, and under extreme conditions of low voltage, the additional voltage drop could be enough to damage the compressor. A household 20A circuit will likely use 12 gauge wiring from the breaker panel, and a good 30A circuit typically uses 8 gauge.

Steve
2004 FL
2013 Honda Fit

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 158451
These wire gauge charts may be helpful. A graphic near page bottom (it shows in the preview) gives the "safe" "ampacity" of each gauge of wiring.

interfacebus Home Page

interfacebus Home Page Reference & Information American Wire Gauge (AWG) Cable Description  aka Brown & Sharpe wire gauge

View on www.interf...

right

HTH.

Joan
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 158457
I fear the charts in are more likely to confuse than inform the typical RV owner. The first chart is for bare wire, which we do not use in our RVs, and the second chart is for Teflon insulated wire that we do not use either. Ampacity varies considerably with the wire's insulation, the operating temperature, and whether wires are free-standing or bundled, and using charts like this without training or experience will lead to potentially serious mistakes.

Here's my analysis:

* For 120 vac wiring, a person capable and comfortable with doing wiring changes in their house can also do so in their RV.
* For safe high current (anything over 30 amps) 12 volt DC wiring needed for inverters and chargers, you should be very knowledgeable or have someone that is checking your work. Undersized wiring is inefficient at best, and can be a fire hazard at worst.
* Effective, efficient solar panel wiring can be determined with some research by the less experienced, and using too small a wire size is not a safety hazard, as it would be with 120 vac or high current 12 volt DC wiring.
* Most people can safely do low current (10 amps or less) 12 volt DC wiring with some help; e.g., adding a power socket, a lighting fixture, a vent fan, etc.

Eric Greenwell
  [lifewithalazydazerv] wrote on 2/1/2016 6:04 AM:
2005 Jayco 24SS

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 158459
" using charts like this without training or experience will lead to potentially serious mistakes."

---- Agreed, of course, but one would hope that anyone reading the AWG wires size/type charts would have the sense to recognize his/her "wire savvy" limitations and do further research, skill-building, and/or expert assistance before tackling projects, particularly "sparky stuff" projects, that are beyond their reach? ;-)

Joan
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 158463
"I bit the bullet and installed a 30 amp outlet outside my house."

Good idea!

Fred already knows this, but it's worth pointing out for others who may wish to do this: a 30 amp RV outlet is not the same as a common household 30 A outlet used for stoves, dryers, and the like.

Whether you do the job yourself or have an electrician do it, make sure you get the right one, and that it's wired correctly. I've heard a few horror stories over the years about electricians who were unfamiliar with the RV outlet type, or just "thought they knew better."

Andy Baird
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 158464
I've heard a few horror stories over the years about electricians who were unfamiliar with the RV outlet type, or just "thought they knew better."

--- Yes, I had an encounter with one of these: "RVs use 220V, just like your washer and dryer." Uh huh. (I suspect that this thinking was the cumulative result of brain jolts from mis-wired outlets.)

Joan
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 158465
I would agree when talking about the 30-amp RV outlet, but the 50-amp RV outlet uses 240 VAC which is split into two 120 VAC lines as it enters the RV. So 240 VAC would be available in the RV for things like an electric stove and a standard dryer. Not exactly in the Lazy Daze world.

Dick

Reply #12
Yahoo Message Number: 158468
One thing to note here is when it comes to 240V wiring, the plugs, sockets, etc are common to a household standard. The expression 220 VAC comes from an earlier vintage when 110 VAC was more common in homes due to line drops, etc. However, it is the same split-phase service that is now referred to as 240VAC for home or RV. Single-phase 30A service is a different animal.

Steve
2004 FL
2013 Honda Fit

Reply #13
Yahoo Message Number: 158469
"Single-phase 30A service is a different animal." ------ This site offers links (at page left) for the wiring how-to wiring for 30A and 50A service; AFAIK, the information is accurate, but the wiring gurus may want to check and comment.

http://www.myrv.us/electric/

Joan
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #14
Yahoo Message Number: 158470
We moved into a new home just after we bought the LD and I had the builder install a 30amp plug in the garage. All went well except it was installed upside down! I even provided an internet photo of the plug. Well, it works and surely is handy for loading, unloading and working on the LD.

Chris
Formerly: 2002 30' IB

Reply #15
Yahoo Message Number: 158474
Ed,

IMO, Chris' original reply to your inquiry was good advice.  If you have a 20 amp receptacle in your house or garage, you can plug into it using the adapter Chris recommended along with your 30 amp service cord, or you could use some sort of a Marine 30 amp female to male 125 v shore power adapter and then plug a 12 gauge extension cord into it from your 20 amp household receptacle so you don't have to drag out your big cord to run the ac when working inside getting ready for an adventure. A 12 gauge extension cord is rated for 20 amps, so it is certainly adequate, but would consider it the minimum size cord to use.

Having or adding a 30 amp receptacle at home is a very nice feature, especially if you may occasionally use the RV as a "guest house", but it is not necessary to protect against doing harm to your ac compressor for the purpose you asked about in your post.

HTH

Bill 2003 - 23'FL
Bill
2003 -- 23' FL

Reply #16
Yahoo Message Number: 158475
I suppose it's easy to see why I said that this matter can be a bit confusing.  In fact, it makes my head hurt.  It would certainly be wonderful to have 30 amp service at the homestead, but not this year.  Finally, I'm mighty pleased that cleaning the black tank of "solids" is easier to understand than electricity!  Otherwise, we'd be up to our necks in "solids."  ;)

Please know that we're sure appreciative of all the guidance and feedback from the Faithful.

Ed & Margee Back Home in Fort Worth

Reply #17
Yahoo Message Number: 158485
"I fear the charts in are more likely to confuse than inform the typical RV owner.  Ampacity varies considerably with the wire's insulation, the operating temperature, and whether wires are free-standing or bundled, and using charts like this without training or experience will lead to potentially serious mistakes."

Here is the basic wire capacity charts I have used for years, from West Marine.
http://www.westmarine.com/WestAdvisor/Marine-Wire-Size-And-Ampacity
 You need to know the amperage flow and the total overall length of the wire run (round trip)
 It also indicates how to compensate for hot operating conditions and bundled wires.
Two charts are shown,  10% and 3% voltage drops.
I try to keep all circuits to a 3% or less drop, especially anything pertaining to the solar and battery charging systems. In these circuits, upgrading to a larger wire can provide definite benefits.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #18
Yahoo Message Number: 158488
Those are also the charts I refer to for inverters and solar charging - easy to use and understand.

Eric
  [lifewithalazydazerv] wrote on 2/2/2016 9:27 AM:
2005 Jayco 24SS