Skip to main content
Topic: Brake Job (Read 15 times) previous topic - next topic
Brake Job
Yahoo Message Number: 158386
Hi Group; I may need a brake job.  Does it matter if the LD is lifted completely to do a brake job?  Or, is it just as effective to use a floor jack and do each wheel one at a time?  There are not many sources here in central FL with a hoist strong enough to lift the entire vehicle.  Trying to find someone honest too...

Mike L.
2007 RK

Re: Brake Job
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 158387
I use my 6000# leveling jacks to support the weight of the entire vehicle and then a regular 3000# floor jack to lift the tire off of the ground. Of course using jack stands just in case of a failure under the vehicle. I have a small 10,000# jack for emergency tire change repair that would work as well but is slower.

-Craig
1997 TK

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 158389
Larry (and others, too, I'm pretty sure) did a complete brake job on his rig without a hoist, and the Ford truck center did mine without a hoist, so, yes, it can be done with the proper jacks and blocks. (In fact, my 2003 has never been "uplifted" in its life; everything has been done at ground level.) The brake parts are HEAVY and awkward, so I would think that the less distance to lift and fit all the pieces, the better. Maybe a message board reader in your area might offer a recommendation for a competent shop to do the work?

As ever, YMMV.

Joan
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 158391
I did our LD's brakes a few years ago.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/lwade/sets/72157625459994065/show

Not having a lift, I used a 3-ton rolling floor jack to lift each wheel, one at a time, placing a 6-ton jack stand under each wheel's axle. Took less than 15 minutes to set it up.
Before lifting, it's good idea to crack loose all the lug nuts, while it is still on the ground. A long cheater bar may be needed to loosen them.

Unlike most brake parts today, which are relatively light, a E450's brakes are heavy, with the front rotors weighting close to 60-lbs.  The shear size of the parts and the danger of working on a heavy vehicle puts this job beyond the capabilites of the of many home mechanics.

Few auto repair shops are not equipped to do brake work on these rigs It is also an expensive job, with parts easily exceeding $1000 if both the front and back brakes need complete rebuilding. Add in a another $1000-1500+, for labor.

Do yourself a favor and spend the extra needed to buy 'premium' parts, rather than the cheaper 'service grade' junk. I used Ford OEM linings and premium calipers and rebuilt rotors from Centric.

Have the front wheel bearings either cleaned and repacked or replaced with new parts depending on condition.
It's also a good time to check the rear wheel bearing for proper adjustment. I rarely find a problem but it's good to check when the opportunity exist.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 158405
Hi, Mike,
 We needed some major brake work last winter while in FL. We managed to limp into Just Brakes in Casselberry, who took on the job. All 4 wheels needed replacement. They didn't have a hoist, but jacked up all 4 points and put jack stands underneath. It was a long job - all afternoon and into the evening, but I felt they did a good job. Have had no problems since.
 Just Brakes is at 690 E. Semoran Blvd in Casselberry. Phone 407-682-9988

Ask for Royce - good guy.

WxToad (aka Ted) @ St Bernard SP, LA www.wxtoad.com www.ultimatecampgrounds.com

Posted by: "Michael H Lewis"  rvmikelew Date: Wed Jan 27, 2016 7:18 am ((PST))

Hi Group; I may need a brake job.  Does it matter if the LD is lifted completely to do a brake job?  Or, is it just as effective to use a floor jack and do each wheel one at a time?  There are not many sources here in central FL with a hoist strong enough to lift the entire vehicle.  Trying to find someone honest too...

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 158406
Do yourself a favor and spend the extra needed to buy 'premium' parts, rather than the cheaper 'service grade' junk. I used Ford OEM linings and premium calipers and rebuilt rotors from Centric.

---- The Ford truck center service manager who did the brakes on my 2003 just said, "I know you want the OEM heavy duty parts!" Yes; no question. (And please repack the wheel bearings while everything's apart and lube the new calipers and make sure the new rotors are true, and check for wear on the inside duals, and I want to watch. Thank you. ;-) )

Joan
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 158411
DITTO!  I recently had the front brakes and bearings repacked before I left on our trip from California to Florida towing our sailboat.  Our mechanic also highly recommended the Ford OEM pads. He also replaced the Bilstein shocks with the correct model of Bilstein, and new Michelin tires up front.  WOW! What a difference!

Don 97 23.5 TK