Skip to main content
Topic: 3 speed vs. 4 speed transmissions? (Read 14 times) previous topic - next topic
3 speed vs. 4 speed transmissions?
Yahoo Message Number: 158381
Hello!
 We are in the market for a Lazy Daze, preferably from the early 90s when they finally went to a 4 speed transmission.
 But since we tend to find lots of them from the late 80s for sale on the West Coast, I thought I would ask if anybody here has had both, and would they go back to a 3 speed again.
 We like to travel, we towed our 66 Streamline Countess (26') over 12,000 miles over 3 years.  So I know on a longer trip the quieter engine noise would be nice, never mind the improved fuel economy.
 I'm still poking around and doing my research, but thought I would pop in and ask.

Thanks! Ian - Portland, OR

Re: 3 speed vs. 4 speed transmissions?
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 158383
We owned a 1983 LD for eight years. It had a three speed transmission.....never again, plus, IMO, the 350 V8 is under powered.
Anything with a three speed is undesirable.
A 1991 or newer would be a better choice.
 A 25 or 30 year old RV is bound to have many problems, just as a car and house, of a similar age, would have.
We very careful in your inspection, the use of a professional inspector could save you thousands.

Happy hunting

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 158384
"late 80s for sale" = carb = $$$

(except maybe for 89)

Do yourself a favor - do not get a carb model

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 158385
We have a 1997 LD,(23.5 TK), with the Ford V-10 and a 3 speed transmission w/overdrive. Now the engine is equipped with a banks Power system, and their SS headers, so I don't know how much difference it makes from a stock Ford V-10 set-up, but it rarely backs down to 2nd gear on a long grade. Normally she just drops out of overdrive and pulls wonderfully. On our recent trip towing our sailboat from San Diego to our new home in Southern Florida, she never dropped into 2nd gear,(I took I-10 across, which has no real mountains).

Don

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 158388
Weighing in with a few thoughts. I spent the winter bringing a '92 up to good standards, so have a bit of experience, but not as much as many people here. YMMV

My old trucks with 3 speed trans worked well. Till 4 speeds came along. I loved the extra gear at highway speed. Down low it didn't matter. All these are pretty good trannies, for automatics. Manual gearboxes are better workhorses, but who wants to shift for themselves?

Windows over the cab ended in 1990. They are leak prone.
The 460 Ford is IMO the minimum size engine for any rig this size, I love the V10 tho, in stock config.
The 4 speed overdrive is a good, but not "bulletproof" trans The 3 speed trans lacks an OD so the engine RPM stays higher even on the plains The vehicle's maintenance and use history is critical, unless an engine/tranny swap is part of your plan I would Avoid a carbureted or early fuel injection engine unless on a vintage collector car Gas mileage in any configuration is poor, and economically not much difference Skin leakage and frame rot is the big issue to avoid in any older LD The RV systems are easily tested, repaired, replaced, upgraded- just bring some extra $

These are considered vintage RVs A restoration project is always a challenge to all skills, and great fun, satisfying, when done well. If that is your inclination, an LD is a great way to go- the Mothership continues to be a great resource for the older ones, and this community is a treasure.
Paul
'92 Mid Bath

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 158392
I have a 97 V10 with 3 speeds and an overdrive. Not enough in my opinion. I would much prefer Ford's newer 6R140 auto. So, the more gears the better, especially if you plan on travelling in the mountains.

Chuck 97RB
1997 RB

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 158394
I have a 1989 22' MP with a Chevy cab.

It has the Chevy 350 engine with a TBI fuel injection system, and a 3 speed TH400 transmission.

I live in Durango, Co, and our LD regularly tackles the massive climbs through the San Juans. Heading North, one climbs from 6000 feet over a pair of 11,000 foot passes to reach Silverton, and a 12,000 foot pass to go further North from there. To the East is Wolf Creek Pass which also has a massive elevation gain in the climb.
We have been more than satisfied with the performance.
On level ground, the rig will cruise comfortably and sedately at 65 mph and get 12 mpg. Even climbing the passes, we still average out 11 mpg. Both of these figures are better than what we expected and better than similarly sized fuel-injected Ford 460 rigs I've used in the past.
We do not use a toad and definitely wouldn't recommend it given the smaller engine, but the engine pushes just fine for our needs and we are happy with the fuel economy.
One plus of a 3 speed like the TH 400 is that it is both a very durable design and also very cheap to rebuild when the time comes.

Reply via web post •  •  • Start a New TopicMessages in this topic                (6) Visit Your Group
Yahoo! Groups
right

right

1989 MP

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 158397
"I live in Durango, Co, and our LD regularly tackles "the massive climbs through the San Juans. Heading North, one climbs from 6000 feet over a pair of 11,000 foot passes to reach Silverton, and a 12,000 foot pass to go further North from there. "

Be glad your LD has fuel injection.
We earlier models, with carburetors, usually run too rich to go over 10,000 feet.

Larry
Larry

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 158398
"I have a 97 V10 with 3 speeds and an overdrive. Not enough in my opinion. I would much prefer Ford's newer 6R140 auto."

Chuck
 Be aware that the 97-99 V-10s only have 265HP, compared to newer V10s, which have 305-HP.

Larry
Larry

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 158403
My 1998 SOB on a 1997 E350 chassis was rated at only  225 HP. Not to bad, though, as the GVWR was only 11,500, so it still seemed pretty zippy.

Eric Greenwell
  [lifewithalazydazerv] wrote on 1/27/2016 2:29 PM:
2005 Jayco 24SS