Skip to main content
Topic: Low Teens at Night Question (Read 9 times) previous topic - next topic
Low Teens at Night Question
Yahoo Message Number: 158365
Sandra said In Myrtle Beach last year, temp in the low teens at night. We would wake up with heavy frost behind the shades. As it melted we would mop and that was the end of it.

So my question is, did you have any freezing trouble with plumbing in the bathroom, which runs along the exterior wall?  And if not, what did you do to keep those pipes from freezing?  Look forward to hearing about your experience.

Ed & Margee Fort Worth

Re: Low Teens at Night Question
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 158370
Ed and Margee, it is very unlikely for any pipes to freeze in the LD as long as the interior temp is kept above freezing (which I infer from Sandra's post it was). It can get down near single digits outside and if you keep warm air circulating in the LD, keep cupboard doors open/ajar where there are pipes, keep the bathroom door ajar, run the hot water heater before you sleep - well, you get the drill, there should be no freezing. One couple I know lived in their LD through the winter in the mtns here in Colorado, with temps below zero, and no freezing up. They were building a new home.

Chris
Formerly: 2002 30' IB

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 158371
Hello LD Amigos.  I must say that this information is comforting.  To be out in really cold weather will take an act of faith ... it reminds me of the first time we anchored in a blow in the Apostle Islands, Lake Superior.  I was up all night checking the anchor to make sure it didn't drag.  So the first night we're out in really cold weather, I'll be up most of the night thinking out this information.  I'll probably set the thermostat high enough to boil water.  And so it goes.

Ed & Margee Fort Worth

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 158373
If you are going to rely on the RV's furnace to warm the inside during very cold temperatures, be sure your batteries are fully charged and your propane tank full; RV furnaces are notoriously inefficient! About 50% - 60% of the heat produced is blown out the vent!

Very fond of my down comforters! ;-)

Joan
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 158374
I've survived single digits, with no problems in the plumbing, but I made a skirt to go around The Pearl, have a work light with a 60 watt bulb in the compartment next to the dump valves and turn the water heater on all night when it get's below 15 degrees or so. I've poured antifreeze in the shower trap just in case, but the sink drains have been fine.
 I can also heartily recommend a heated mattress pad (originally suggested by Andy Baird I believe) for keeping my own plumbing warm at night...

Pat The Pearl
The Pearl - 2000 31'
"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most."