Skip to main content
Topic: Valve Stem Extensions - Replacements (Read 16 times) previous topic - next topic
Valve Stem Extensions - Replacements
Yahoo Message Number: 158344
Our LD has valve stem extensions from Tire Man.  I think they are about 4 years old and as a side note, one (1) failed a few months ago.  We're planning on new Michelin tires within a few months and I wondered if we should buy new valve stems all around or keep the 4 year old stems?  For what's worth, I'm thinking new are prudent and save the old ones as spares.  I'd be grateful for your guidance.

Ed & Margee Fort Worth

Re: Valve Stem Extensions - Replacements
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 158345
I have stems from Borg and they recommend changing the rubber every five years, as I remember! Don't see why it is necessary to replace the actual stems.

Fred

2003 RB

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 158346
How did the valve fail? (BTW, if the valves are from the "Tireman" or Borg, what you have are valves, not "extensions"; the valves are just long or shaped in a "U" configuration.) Did the actual *valve* break, or the rubber grommet disintegrate, or the valve core fail? Or, something else?

Joan
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 158348
Just so I understand... the element that failed was the 3mm rubber washer that the valve sets in in the wheel? (I didn't see how the grommet/rubber "stabilizer" would leak, since its purpose is just to provide support for the long valve from the inner dually.)

Joan
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 158349
So all you need to do is to get new grommets, which should be done whenever you get new tires, anyway. No need to buy a whole new set of tire stems.
Linda Hylton On Jan 25, 2016 4:06 PM, " [lifewithalazydazerv]" lifewithalazydazerv@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
Linda Hylton

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 158351
Linda, I don't believe that the problem is the grommets, i.e., the large rubber stabilizers that seat into a wheel hole; the inner dual valve goes through a hole in the center of the grommet, and this supports the long valve to keep it from flexing and/or breaking. From Ed's description of the location of the leak, it appears that a rubber *washer* around the base of the valve (that's backed/held by a nut through the hole for the valve) cracked or split; only speculating, but the rubber washer could have been faulty in the first place or maybe it was compressed too tightly when the valve was seated.

Joan
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 158353
the metal part of valves like these rarely self destruct.  If a rubber grommet or seal failed, you should be able to get the new rubber parts from the Tireman (or Borg) and maybe even at a local speed shop.  Race cars often use metal valve stems (though shorter) because they are more reliable. If you know someone in the SCCA (Sports Car Club of America) they may to point you to a wheel and tire store that does the work.

It is also possible that a valve stem core failed.  That is rather simple to replace.  Excuse me if you already know this but without talking to you I would rather look dumb than you spend money needlessly.   From your description I do not believe that is the part that failed but there is that possibility.  These parts can to bad due to any number of things disruption the seat that holds in the air.  A you tube link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rqzes8K6uDY I do not believe you need or should replace all of the long valves though if the stem part of the valve truly failed (stress cracked) it should be replaced.

John 07 MB
Currently: 2008 36' Tiffin Open Road
Previously: 2007 Mid Bath

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 158354
I would guess that Joan is correct about the rubber washer initially not being sound.
 On my previous coach I had Tireman stems and they ran for 8 years and over 128K miles without a problem.  During that period Discount Tire replaced all 6 tires 4 times.  I watched them dismount the first tire to see how they avoided hitting the stem with the "tire machine."   On one occasion they damaged the exterior thread (thread for the cap) of a front stem.  They called Chuck and got a new stem.  I learned then that the "rubber washers" used to seal the stem to the wheel are not all alike.  They come in different thicknesses and not all stems use the same thickness.  I know that getting the nut on the stem tightened correctly is important; too loose and air leaks - too tight and the rubber washers compress excessively which can lead to early failure.   Also, if a stem is tightened too tight you run a greater risk of damaging the stem and/or breaking the seal if the stem is accidently hit.  I believe that the Tireman installation instructions may contain torque specs for this nut.  However, I have not paid much attention to the instructions as I've always had Chuck install the stems on both of my coaches.
 Personally I follow the policy of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it."  I would not replace all of the rubber washers unless  you suspect that some other stems may have a  problem and you can find someone to  do the work who knows exactly what they are doing.   You run the very real possibility of creating problems.  Carefully inspecting the stems for "cracks" is a good idea but somewhat difficult to do.  If a stem gets hit hard enough it will usually bend.  However, it may also initiate a crack which is often just above the nut.  If a stem is cracked you will often have a tire that slowly losses air.

Doug Baker

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 158361
Hi Ed & Margee....

If they are Tireman stems, just give the Tireman a call about receiving new grommets.  When I had my 5 tire failure, the guys at Discount Tire in Flagstaff took off the stems, as the grommets were cracked.  Tireman sent me a new set of grommets, along with Kathy L's new stem, we took the rigs to the local Discount Tire and all is well.

NOTE!!!!!  make SURE that the protective insert is in the wheel...  a circular piece that pops in (any) round hole in the wheel.  The extension is cushioned with this piece, as it passes through it.  Kathy's stem wasn't protected and had worn through from the bouncing against the wheel.  Unfortunately, I don't know where to get replacement inserts.  My 2005 has them on the rear wheels, Blue, my old 1990, did not.  The 2005 has Tireman stems, the 1990 has Borg stems.

Lisa and Ghost Rider Grounded in sunny, windy Arizona
2005 RB

Reply #12
Yahoo Message Number: 158369
We just had a valve stem extension, inner tire, crack.  We have a 2001 with 120K miles and ~ 3year old tires.  I didn't own the rig when the new tires were put on so I don't know if the old extensions were used - probably.

Bob Elliott, '01 RK  360-901-3060