Skip to main content
Topic: Snow Load (Read 14 times) previous topic - next topic
Snow Load
Yahoo Message Number: 158266
Hello All - Does anyone have some creative ideas for preventing rooftop snow accumulation, or for removing accumulated snow?  With the storm of the century approaching, we have a day to figure something out.
Or, is it a non-issue?  Reading other discussion boards about SOB's is worrisome regarding what a heavy snow accumulation can do to the roof.
Thanks.
The Sawyers

Re: Snow Load
Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 158275
When the recent Goliath storm came through, it dropped at least 12" on my roof, or at least, that is what was on my solar panels when I tried to brush them off.  No issues.
 Thinking out of the box, if you cracked open the vents, especially the hatch up front, with a piece of wood in them to hold them open to ease any snow load on the hatch cover, covered the roof with a drop cloth of some sort, turned on the heat, and let the heat percolate up into the area covered by the drop cloth, that might melt the snow before it accumulated.  This is NOT a recommendation, just a thought.

Ken F in NM
'08 MB

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 158280
We had about 12" on the roof of our '83FL a few years back while camped. Generally, a single snowfall that size will not be particularly heavy on the roof or roof accessories. However, I would not let that much compacted snow and ice accumulate - brush it off after the storm. Note if you have leaks on the roof, you will have problems as it melts. Do not heat it up from inside until you brush off the bulk of it.

Steve
2004 FL
2013 Honda Fit

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 158281
After a series of storms in quick succession, I had between 2 and 3 feet of consolidated snow on top of mine a few weeks ago. It was heavy- I would guess somewhere between 500 and 1000 lbs of snow.

I didn't feel good about having that much up there, but it appears no worse from wear after I got the snow off.

1989 MP