Skip to main content
Topic: Fogged Windows/Window Replacement (Read 3099 times) previous topic - next topic
Fogged Windows/Window Replacement
Yahoo Message Number: 158257

We have an 06 LD with some fogged windows. Speaking with Vince I know that they don't repair this and only replace. When I spoke with him he stressed the importance of properly sealing the window.

It is my understanding that in our rig they use butyl tape and as a result there is no requirement to re-seal windows as a maintenance item. I have spoken with two places that repair fogged windows. The first avoided answering my questions as to how they handle this. The second was familiar with the use of butyl tape and told me essentially that the tape remains on either the window and/or the frame when the window is removed and that when they re-install it fills the gaps. Does this sound right? Should they routinely replace the tape when removing the window?

Jim C

Re: Fogged Windows
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 158258
If butyl tape seems foreign to the shop, find another one.
The old tape can be difficult to remove, so maybe they don't want to do it. LD hates Eternabond for the same reason Removing the old butyl tape (not caulking), cleaning of both surfaces, and then application of new tape is the better method. You only want to do this once.
 Let us know how this works out, we have a fogged window that needs repair.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 158259
I'm very interested to hear what you learn.  I have one windows that has been fogged for a while and I noticed a few others starting to fog last fall.
 I'm on the east coast (NC) and have considered 2 shops for repairs.  One is the very popular SunCoast Designers in Florida.  From everything I've read, they will just caulk around the opening and reinstall.  The other is RV Glass Repair services in Greensboro, NC.  They are much closer to me but I haven't read as much about them.
 I've about resigned myself to either removing and reinstalling the windows myself or letting a shop reinstall with caulk and re-doing the job as soon as I get home.
 I'm interested to hear about any experiences from those who have had foggy windows repaired in a LD.

Rich '03 MB in NC
2003 MB

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 158260
"Let us know how this works out, we have a fogged window that needs repair." --- As do I, so I'm interested, too. The 2003 models were the first year for dual-pane windows; the sealant used shrank and developed hairline cracks and "crazes", allowing air to seep in and cloud the interior of the panes. Apparently, the sealant hadn't been improved for the 2006 models? Or even later?

There was a message board thread on this topic some time back; "fogged windows" in the "Search Conversations>Search Groups" bar will bring up several posts on the topic.

Linda Allen/Carole Sunlight, how is your factory-replaced rear window holding up? Fogging redux? Leaks?

Joan
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 158261
We are original owners of an '05 MB LD in  based in N. Florida and W NC and have had several fogged windows, including the great rear window dismantled, crispy cleaned, re-installed and sealed at Suncoast Glass in the small town of Hudson, Florida. You can hook up there for the night or two or or the  most it takes for them to pull your foggy window, block space with cardboard, and reinstall one or several cleaned and resealed windows in one or two days at most. Very competent staff, secure full service "camping", and with a toad you can visit Wiki Watchi mermaid show nearby while you wait. It is a spot where you are surrounded by a dozen big rigs but the staff there are supportive of we small guys just as well. Jack L.

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 158264
We are currently in Quartzsite. The company that I was tempted to use is here, but just for the show, and they are Havasu Auto Glass. There is a yelp review from 2/15 where an RV owner had them do his windows and he was very happy. That said, I would guess he just had caulking done and may not have had butyl tape to begin with.

Two of the windows aren't bad and one is in the bedroom in our Island Bed so not much of an issue. However the other two are in the living room windows and I am only willing to put up with a little fogging. After all, that is one of the reasons I bought an LD, the views.

The alternative is complete window replacement at around $1,000 a pop.

Suncoast Design near Tampa is one I have heard good things about but if they aren't going back with BT I wouldn't use them. Besides I have no plans to go back to Florida anytime soon.

Obviously, Havasu Auto Glass wants me to believe that the seal will continue to be good despite their removing and re-installing. I don't think I'm comfortable with that.

There is another place here and I will probably talk to them tomorrow. If I find a solution short of replacement will let you know.

Jim C

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 158265
Jack, if you would care to share repair cost figures, it might help those who are trying to decide to have their foggy windows fixed.

Chris
Formerly: 2002 30' IB

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 158267
I can't remember the name of the glass/window company near the Mothership, the one they recommend. Has anyone checked with them to see if they repair foggy windows? I had a cracked window replaced there some years back.

Chris
Formerly: 2002 30' IB

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 158269
"can't remember the name of the glass/window company near the Mothership, the one they recommend. Has anyone checked with them to see if they repair foggy windows?"

Chris

I think this is the place.
 http://nagcoglass.com/home/contact.html

Larry
Larry

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 158271
"... how is your factory-replaced rear window holding up? Fogging redux? Leaks?"
 Wow, thanks Joan, I'd forgotten all about that. Yes, after the factory replacement for the fogged rear window, we had a leak in a Texas deluge. Vince injected some sealant in March on our way home. So far, so good. No sign of intrusion from our 18+ inches of rain this season. Now I'll depend on you to remind me periodically to check for it! Linda

Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 158278
Re: cost and durability of refreshed windows-
 As a follow up - We had the large rear window done at Suncoast glass two years ago at a cost of about $250 and a year ago had two smaller side ones for a cost each of about $250. That is just the way they do it, perhaps because much of the delicate work is in the removal and reinstallation and re sealing. With "the proof is in the pudding" valuation I note that we have been from sea level to 6000 ft in elevation and from temperatures from the teens to the 90's, over some bumpy roads and all the windows that were redone are sparkling as new.  Jack

Reply #12
Yahoo Message Number: 160004
Update on the search for a fogged glass solution. First, I called Nagco Glass and learned that they haven't done the glass in LD after the 2003 model and they don't repair fogged windows.

I contacted this place. RV Glass Solutions, Motorhome Side Window Repair

They are located in Coburg, OR. I spoke with the folks there and they repair the fogged windows for $325 per window for the sliding glass and if the fixed piece is also fogged it is an additional $105. They have been doing this type of work for about 4 years now. When re-installing they use a foam tape to re-seal, not butyl tape. Not sure if that is a problem or not. She mentioned that they have done a few Lazy Daze units but not a lot and she clearly knew the rig because she commented on their retro appearance.

They also can replace the glass with a laminated glass which eliminates the air gap and should prevent future fogging. However, she asked if we had very dark glass and said that while they are working on sourcing the darker glass they don't have it yet. They hope to have it this summer and might have it in June when we plan on being there. At this point I think I would prefer thicker glass without the air gap. The cost of going back with the laminated glass is the same for repairing the existing glass.

Has anyone here had fogged glass repaired by them?

Any thoughts about the foam tape? When I asked what it was exactly I was told it is foam tape that is sticky on one side. I asked if they do anything else to prevent water intrusion and the reply was that if the windows were originally sealed with silicone they would replace that as well. I don't know if our 06 has any additional sealant but if they do it would not be silicone.

So, at this point, not sure what to do regarding this outfit.

Jim C

Reply #13
Yahoo Message Number: 160006
Jim, thanks for this information. I have been debating on what, if anything, to do about the fogged rear window on my 2003 TK. 2003 was the first year for dual-pane windows in the LD, and the sealant used to join the panes has not held up; it has "hardened", shrunken, and developed hairline cracks over the years. Of course, even the most minuscule breach in the sealant allows air and moisture to enter; the window doesn't leak, but the haze that develops is not repairable, and it sure compromises the view!

The only viable solution that I've entertained so far is having the rear window replaced at the factory; this is still an option, of course, but, like you, I hope that and LD owner who has had their foggy windows replaced by the company in your post will respond with their experiences!

Joan
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #14
Yahoo Message Number: 160007
I just retired from Anderson windows, pretty much known nation wide for home windows. If the LD windows, 2pane and having a vacuum drawn between the 2 panes, for insulation purposes, not sure if they put any type of gas in to give better insulation value, is anything like your houses windows, it has lost it's seal and ambient air has entered the airspace between the 2 panes and fogs w/temperature change, just speculation on my part because I am not familiar w/LD windows.

Reply #15
Yahoo Message Number: 160009
That tape is what should be used to seal the vacuum drawn between the 2 pieces of glass and really, as far as I know, has nothing to do w/the sealing of the "window" against water infiltration and should stay w/the piece of glass when it comes out and will be on a new piece of insulated glass if it is installed. Again , speculation on my part as to windows used by LD.

Reply #16
Yahoo Message Number: 160010
My 2003 LD has a fogged slider. In the afternoon sun, it looks to be very dirty, even when spotless.
Thermal changes power the flow of air through the leaking gasket, allowing water vapor and dust to be drawn into the interior of the two panes.

Last year, at Q, there was an shop that rebuilds the dual pane windows I stopped and was told it would be about $500 to do the complete window, so the Oregon place seems to be in line.
$420 to rejuvenate a whole window is a lot cheaper than a new one. If it last another 10 years, I would pleased.

They remove the window and take each dual pane apart for cleaning and polishing. They then replace the rubber gasket, pull a vacuum and, believe, fill it with some type of gas, before reassembly. The process supposedly take about 24 hours.

I too am interested in getting ours fixed.

Larry
Larry

Reply #17
Yahoo Message Number: 160012
Joan, I thought that the film that seems to develop over time can be cleaned when they separate the glass pieces and then re-assemble. At least, that is what I have gathered from looking it up online.

In our case you really only see this at certain times of the day when the sunlight hits it right.

I should add that I was told to measure the thickness of the window and if it is 7/16" they can replace with the laminate. Measured ours and it is solidly 1/2" so that doesn't sound like it will work even if they get a matching dark tint.

Jim C

Reply #18
Yahoo Message Number: 160016
"....having a vacuum drawn between the 2 panes, for insulation purposes, not sure if they put any type of gas in to give better insulation value..."

There is no gas that would insulate better than a vacuum. However, a vacuum would be unstable, since even molecular migration through the glass and seals would eliminate it eventually. The most stable solution would be a very dry gas to equalize pressure, and Nitrogen would seem the most likely.

Steve
2004 FL
2013 Honda Fit

Reply #19
Yahoo Message Number: 160017
Argon gas is used in Home windows, the density of it slows down the Heat/Cold molecules as they pas threw the vacuum/dead air space and yes it will dissipate over a period of time or so they say. For the most part, to technical for me to understand, I was just a service tech.bseg

Reply #20
I would like to have our windows de-fogged. Not considering it a DIY project as I don't have a helper.

This is a dialog with RV Fog Doctor in Searcy, Arkansas. 

I have no idea what a "hot system" for sealing the windows is and how it would compare with Larry's preferred use of butyl tape.

It starts with my note to them.

Hi,

What materials do you use to re-seal the windows?
How much lead time would you need to make an appointment in mid to late October?

Thanks

Thank you for your interest in our company.  We use a hot system for sealing the windows.

The lead time for making an appointment mid to late October is a week and a half to two weeks.

The average cost of repair for your windows (per frame) is $300 for driver’s window and $200 for all the other windows, if you don’t have to have any glass replaced.  There is a possibility that the glass has etched if it has had moisture in it for too long.  If you do need glass, you can figure around $100 more per piece of glass replaced.  If we do not have your glass in stock, we will make a pattern and have it sent out to our tempering company and that usually takes up to four weeks to get back to us.

The average repair takes approximately 2 to 4 hours per frame.  We do have full service hook up for your coach with 50 (only) amp service.  You could stay in your coach, if you wanted to, while the windows are being repaired.

We do have 9.50% sales tax.  We accept personal checks and MasterCard, Discover, and VISA; and there is a 3% surcharge for credit cards.

Take Care,
Cheryl

I have no idea what a hot system is. I take it that it rules out the use of butyl tape, which would be my preference.
We have found that the hot melt system works the best for us.

The average cost of repair for your windows (per frame) is $300 for driver’s window and $200 for all the other windows,
OK, you really lost me here. I don’t have a driver’s window. It’s a Class C, a Lazy Daze to be specific, with Hehr double pane windows.
I apologize, you didn't specify what type of vehicle you had and I assumed (we know what that means :) ) you had a Class A.  What year is your Lazy Daze?  We repair by frame, so usually the stationary and slider comes out together and is considered one frame.  Which means most, if not all, of your windows will be $200 + tax, if you do not need glass.  If you have a window that needs to be repaired and the window if over 55 inches, the pricing might change to $300 + tax. 

If we do not have your glass in stock, we will make a pattern and have it sent out to our tempering company and that usually takes up to four weeks to get back to us.
That would be a deal breaker for us, spending 4 weeks there. Unless you are cooking for us. Grin
Normally, we would take a pattern and have it sent out...most customers would leave and on their return trip stop by for us to put their replacement glass in.  We do not charge to take the glass out again, however, you would pay the $100 per piece of glass replaced + tax.

Hope this helps a bit...

Cheryl

Don & Dorothy
Sold our LD in June of 2023

Our boring always non-PC travel blog
Traveling Dorothy

Reply #21
 I would like to have our windows de-fogged. Not considering it a DIY project as I don't have a helper.

This is a dialog with RV Fog Doctor in Searcy, Arkansas. 

I have no idea what a "hot system" for sealing the windows is and how it would compare with Larry's preferred use of butyl tape.

It starts with my note to them.

Hi,

What materials do you use to re-seal the windows?
How much lead time would you need to make an appointment in mid to late October?

Thanks

Thank you for your interest in our company.  We use a hot system for sealing the windows.

The lead time for making an appointment mid to late October is a week and a half to two weeks.

The average cost of repair for your windows (per frame) is $300 for driver’s window and $200 for all the other windows, if you don’t have to have any glass replaced.  There is a possibility that the glass has etched if it has had moisture in it for too long.  If you do need glass, you can figure around $100 more per piece of glass replaced.  If we do not have your glass in stock, we will make a pattern and have it sent out to our tempering company and that usually takes up to four weeks to get back to us.

The average repair takes approximately 2 to 4 hours per frame.  We do have full service hook up for your coach with 50 (only) amp service.  You could stay in your coach, if you wanted to, while the windows are being repaired.

We do have 9.50% sales tax.  We accept personal checks and MasterCard, Discover, and VISA; and there is a 3% surcharge for credit cards.

Take Care,
Cheryl

I have no idea what a hot system is. I take it that it rules out the use of butyl tape, which would be my preference.
We have found that the hot melt system works the best for us.

The average cost of repair for your windows (per frame) is $300 for driver’s window and $200 for all the other windows,
OK, you really lost me here. I don’t have a driver’s window. It’s a Class C, a Lazy Daze to be specific, with Hehr double pane windows.
I apologize, you didn't specify what type of vehicle you had and I assumed (we know what that means :) ) you had a Class A.  What year is your Lazy Daze?  We repair by frame, so usually the stationary and slider comes out together and is considered one frame.  Which means most, if not all, of your windows will be $200 + tax, if you do not need glass.  If you have a window that needs to be repaired and the window if over 55 inches, the pricing might change to $300 + tax. 

If we do not have your glass in stock, we will make a pattern and have it sent out to our tempering company and that usually takes up to four weeks to get back to us.
That would be a deal breaker for us, spending 4 weeks there. Unless you are cooking for us. Grin
Normally, we would take a pattern and have it sent out...most customers would leave and on their return trip stop by for us to put their replacement glass in.  We do not charge to take the glass out again, however, you would pay the $100 per piece of glass replaced + tax.

Hope this helps a bit...

Cheryl
Don & Dorothy
Sold our LD in June of 2023

Our boring always non-PC travel blog
Traveling Dorothy

Reply #22
Don, I think the hot seal he is referring to could be the seal that they are installing between the two panes of glass and not sealing the window frame to the body of the coach.

Jim

Reply #23
No matter what tape is used to reseal the window, the gap around the edge, of each window,  can be taped and then caulked with long lasting polyurethane.  I recommend this to all who own older LDs.
Window and seam sealing | Flickr
The tape method produces a thin, clean line of sealant.
Seal the top and sides of the windows, leaving the bottom open to allow any water that does get in, to drain and not be trapped.
Preparation is everything in this procedure, so take your time. You only want to do it once.

Larry
Larry

Reply #24
????? Methinks there's a whole lot more than foggy windows involved here!   ::)
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery
Live for the day!