Skip to main content
Topic: Can I siphon fuel from 2011 LD ? (Read 11 times) previous topic - next topic
Can I siphon fuel from 2011 LD ?
Yahoo Message Number: 158185
Is it feasible in terms of time (and with what equipment?) to siphon all the gasoline out of a full 2011 LD gas tank and into my minivan gas tank In 3 stages? I want to replace the old gasoline in the LD with fresh fuel with Stabil.

Re: Can I siphon fuel from 2011 LD ?
Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 158192
This is complete speculation on my part, but you may be able to use the fuel line to the generator to get 3/4 of the fuel out.

I'm not sure I'd mess with it though.

Rich '03 MB in NC
2003 MB

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 158193
You might try one of the methods described at this link; as long as you can keep the anti-siphon "blade" open, it might be feasible to drain 55 gallons out of the tank. YMMV, but the time, hassles, and risks of spillage that this operation might take might be worth re-considering just leaving the current gas in the rig. But, as mentioned, YMMV.

http://www.wikihow.com/Siphon-Gas

Joan
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 158196
Thanks to all. It will be much safer to drive a 500+ mile round trip, enjoy a short stay, return, then fill the tsnk with ftesh gasoline and Stabil.

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 158197
Transferring 55 gallons of fuel sounds awkward, time consuming, and potentially risky. Are you unable to drive the LD once a month per Ford's recommendation?
 My understanding is auto fuel stored in a vehicle is still usable after a year. Will it be longer than that before you use the LD again?

Eric Greenwell
  [lifewithalazydazerv] wrote on 1/19/2016 9:49 AM:
2005 Jayco 24SS

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 158199
Is the existing fuel old? If not, top it off and add Stabil in the recommended quantities.
It is usually recommended to leave the tank filled to reduce condensation.

If the gas has been around for many months, go for a long drive.  Then fill it and add Stabil Siphoning  large amounts of fuel can be dangerous. A small spill can be disastrous.

As mentioned before, your LD's fuel has an anti-siphoning device that prevents a large hose from entering the tank. You can force a small diameter tube (3/8" diameter or less) into the tank. The small tube size allows a very small flow, it will take many hours to empty the tank.

Draining the tank is something that normally never done except when dropping the gas tank to change the fuel pump.

Draining the gas may be unnecessary, it doesn't go bad very fast in cold weather. My bet is most, in the snow belt, do not bother.
Do start both the engine and generator monthly and let them warm up.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 158204
I don't know about siphoning but, I can tell you that for 3-4 years now in winterizing our 04 LD, I have filled the tank with as much fresh fuel as it would take and then added Stabil.  We de-winterized and used the LD each spring and summer following those years and had no problems in running the fuel out as we hit the road again.  I believe adding some fresh fuel helps to bring back the quality of old fuel.

JI, NC