Skip to main content
Topic: Please help me with pricing on selling my used LD (Read 22 times) previous topic - next topic
Please help me with pricing on selling my used LD
Yahoo Message Number: 158084
Hi Folks,

I have a 2005, 26.5 MB. It's in perfect condition, always garaged - yes, unusual for a motorhome. It's located in Massachusetts, never driven in winter. 20,000. Miles. New tires with one season, only 3,000 miles on them. 4K Onan generator, external shower, 13,500 A/C. I'll be putting it up for sale soon and I'd like your recommendations on pricing. I have a friend who's interested as well and I want to offer him a fair market price. I appreciate any help you can offer.

Thank you.  
Rob

Re: Please help me with pricing on selling my used LD
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 158086
While the rest of the group tells you what to charge, I would be interested in seeing it. Where in Mass? I live in mid-NH. I could come down this weekend (Jan 16, 17 or 18).

Cheers,
Denise

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 158088
If you go to "Files" (on bar at top of this page) then "Buying and selling" then " LD Asking Prices 2015" you can see the approximate selling prices.

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 158090
dweber410@ wrote, "If you go to "Files" (on bar at top of this page) then "Buying and selling" then " LD Asking Prices 2015" you can see the approximate selling prices.
To start: That is a very good starting place.  I purchased my 07 and paid a little more because: ...it was configured just as I would have from the factory, ...the previous owners had added items I would have, ...mine had very very low miles and the previous owner had drove it enough that I was confident the brakes and shocks were had not gone bad.
... I reallly reallllly realllllllly wanted that one.

To add: ... You are on the east coast.  I don't need to tell you that LD's are rare here.  I flew to CA to get mine. So that is worth something.  If the prospective buyer is local to you he/she/they do not need to fly to the west coast to pick up.  (the down side is that they miss out on the trip east) ... You have low miles and low use on the Gen (see to subtract) ... Tires are a biggie.  You should provide the date codes.  If they are less than four or five years old that is a huge advantage to the buyer.
... Indoor storage.  Keeps the paint in nice shape and is easy not the roof.

To subtract.
... You have low miles. That could lead to maintenance issues on the brakes and shocks.  Take away the three k miles to drive east when new and you have only put 17k mile on the RV in 11 years.  That is not much, though not really bad though.  The buyer needs to be aware that things like brakes and shocks may be an issue.  Do you have records of oil changes on the engine?  That would be a help.  >>>I say this and paid extra for low miles on my rig, just depends on how the buyer looks at the miles and the rig.
... You don't say how many hours are on the generator.  Again I purchased mine with very low hours (20) but it had oil changes and ran good.  I did have to change the fuel pump though and the previous owner had just rebuilt the carb due to gumming (he did it himself but had had receipts for materials). Even with that I had to change the fuel pump.  But that may be related to running full time after a windstorm when we lived in it for 2-3 weeks and had contractors working on the house (using gen power for tools) in 90-100 deg temps and high humidity.

Unknowns: Roof condition.  Even sitting indoors and living in a northern climate the condition of the roof is unknown, maybe even to you.  You do not mention if you have resealed the seams.  I would feel better if you have.  Better yet be able to show picture of the job before and after so the prospective buyer knows that the seams that are now hidden were ok when you did the job (most of us would not have done this, I did but not for for a sale value, more for a how to thing.)  You should invite a buyer to bring a third party inspector to look at the RV.  More so if the buyer is a friend.  A few dollars can save a friendship.

I am not trying to be contrary.  Just giving you an idea of what advantages and disadvantages you have.  I will say that I am very lucky.  The previous owner was very kind with time and answering all my questions. He took close up pictures, he answered questions, we really got to know one another on the phone.  When I flew out spent a day inspecting each item on a check list (there is a good one in the files section) walking me through how to operate each and every part of the LD just like the factory does for a new owner.  He briefed me on the owners manual while we paged through it.  After showing me how to operate everything he watched me as I operated all the equipment.  After giving him the check we did a driving lesson.  First on local roads and then on the interstate.  He even helped me check into a KOA for the first time ever (with a side trip to the mothership).  His wife picked up soup, stew, PB&J + whole wheat bread and oat meal for a few days so I would not have to go to a LA area supermarket while learning where the corners are on the RV.  Yes, I was very lucky.
John 07 MB
Currently: 2008 36' Tiffin Open Road
Previously: 2007 Mid Bath

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 158091
Hi Denise,

We're in Holliston, MA. I'm heading north this weekend, but we could arrange another time, certainly. Please email me at rfarhm@... and we can discuss details. Thank you for your interest.

Rob

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 158272
After reviewing the emails on this thread and reviewing the files on buying and selling, there remains in my mind the question of exactly how the buying/selling transaction should take place.  Searching the Internet, I read where the seller should make sure the purchaser wires the purchase price to the seller's bank account.  Checks and identities are too easily forged with technologies commonly available today.  A  sales agreement should make clear there is no warranty provided.  Once the seller signs over the title and removes the license plates, the buyer does not have a registered vehicle until he/she visits the DMV.

These issues suggest a dealer might provide a useful service.  After talking to a few dealers, my sense is the dealers will take a substantial fee for their services that might far out weigh whatever benefits they might contribute to the transaction.  The dealer will not be able to say as much about the motorhome as a seller, and the dealer might not offer much in the way of a useful warranty.  On balance, buyer and seller might be worse off going through a dealer.

I have read that as a consequence of the increasing amount of fraud taking place with Internet transactions, some police departments now have a desk where buyer and seller can establish their identities and register their transactions.

The question, what are the details of the buyer transferring funds to the seller and the seller providing the papers necessary for the buyer to drive away?  Is it better to buy and sell through a dealer?

The reason these questions come to mind is because I am considering selling a 2012, 24-foot front dinette LD, which I purchased new.  The original plan was to use it for three years for my wife and I to tour state and national parks without a tow.  Then, we would sell it and that would be the end of our motorhome experience.  The 24 footer worked well for the intended purpose.  Meanwhile, we have become acquainted with a whole new lifestyle.  We bought a bigger motorhome and plan to tow.

Any suggestions on the details of the transaction of buying and selling will be appreciated.

Thebackpacker

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 158274
I traveled to Illinois to buy a used LD last spring.  I live in Ga. My credit union was unable to wire the money while I was in Illinois, so I brought a cashier's check for the agreed price. After we checked out the LD, we all went together to the sellers' bank, where they called my bank and verified the check as legitimate and all funds were available.
I know that the sellers preferred a money wire, but it couldn't be done without my being in my bank in person.

Tanya
Tanya
2001 MB

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 158276
Our recent LD transaction was straightforward.  After we inspected and drove the LD, we went to a local branch bank of Wells Fargo.  Wells Fargo was also our bank in Fort Worth.  After we reviewed the title we purchased a cashier's check in their bank and had the funds immediately transferred into their account.  We signed the title and a Bill of Sale which the seller found on-line.  The sellers gave us the keys, the title, and LD and we were down the road. The seller allowed us to keep the license plates for our return trip to Texas.  Hope this helps.

Ed & Margee Fort Worth

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 158277
I am currently selling my LD. I placed ads on RV trader and Craigslist. Within a day in each placing I got two to five scammers. Most would say something like "I will pay you full price via PayPal, I am at an army base or on an oil platform, at sea, etc". Also had a guy call & say he was  interested but wanted to test drive by himself. I posted that I would not accept pay pal, only cash or direct transfer to my bank account. If it sounds too good to be true.... Sellers beware
2015 27' Mid Bath

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 158288
No they scammers aren't very effective but they sure are fast. I sell on craigs list from time to time and the scammers are usually as obvious as those you mention. I have bought 3 rvs off ebay over the last 20 years and two of the sellers highly over rated their unit. However I paid prices that left me room to take care of the issues.

Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 158291
I went with my friend to Washington State to buy her LD from a Private Party. We both live in CA. Im the one who talked to the sellers and made the deal. I got a good feeling from them after having lengthily conversations for a week or so as my friend was taking out a loan.. What worked for all of us was this.. They banked with B of A so my friend "Opened up an account with B of A" here in Ca. for the amount we settled on. We went to Washington State, test drove the LD, they showed her all the info on the LD and then we went to their B of A and transferred the money into the Sellers Account. The reason that worked so well was it was from the same bank and it would have been a hassle stated from the bank person if we brought a cashier ck, or transferred money from another acct to B of A as all would be time consuming meaning it would be a waiting game for the chaser ck to clear and in some states it would take a while, like days. For all concerned this I feel is the safest and best way to buy and sell.. Good luck on selling your rig..

JO

Reply #12
Yahoo Message Number: 158293
This link may be helpful to sellers (and buyers); it's focused on cars, but the same basic principles apply to RVs. At page left, there are several additional links, including how to sell the vehicle when you still owe on it and "safe payment" information.

http://www.cars.com/go/advice/Story.jsp?section=sell&subject=how_sell&story=sellPrep&referer=

I've sold two cars and two RVs; all were "clean deals". The transactions were simplified because I had clear titles to all the vehicles and the buyers paid with cash in one case and with cashier's checks in the other three; I held the titles until the checks cleared!

Sometimes, it's not necessarily the best price that makes the deal, but rather the numbers of "contingencies", hassles, and inconveniences that may accompany the higher offer.

As ever, YMMV.

Joan
2003 TK has a new home