Skip to main content
Topic: California to Arizona routing (Read 14 times) previous topic - next topic
California to Arizona routing
Yahoo Message Number: 157979
We are coming down from Seattle for the Morro Bay rally in March, then going thru LA and  east to Phoenix, Arizona, down to Tuscon and spend some time in that area. Any recommendations as to RV parks and things to see on the way?

Ian & Jean 27 NB "Silver Fox" Seattle

Re: [LD] California to Arizona routing
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 157982
Unless there's something/someone you want to visit in Phoenix, I recommend taking AZ-85 south to I-8 and then going west which will put you back on I-10 just south of Casa Grande...and avoiding all the mess of driving through Phoenix.  AZ-85 is a 4-lane road all the way between I-10 and I-8 except for about a mile before Gila Bend.

Linda Hylton
Linda Hylton

Re: California to Arizona routing
Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 157983
We drive I10 between Tucson and CA often.   When the bridge collapsed on I10 we drove the I8 route hooking up with AZ85 and heading back north to I10.  I agree with Linda that it's a good road, but it's also a LOT of extra miles (and time/gas).   I10 through Phoenix is a major freeway and is not a problem driving if you avoid commuter traffic times, even better if you can drive it on a weekend.   To me, it's not worth the extra time and money.   Just my opinion.   Gale
G N Wilson
2008 Mid-Bath

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 157984
You've got a great trip ahead!  The Yahoo LD group @ Morro Bay is excellent choice; we've been 4 years and it's top priority for us. • Consider: North Beach RV Campground - Pismo Beach - next to Monarch Butterfly Group and beautiful beach/dunes. • Consider 1-2 days @ Rincon RV, at the ocean's edge. • Consider Reagan Memorial Library, w/several RV parks within half hour.  • Consider stopping in Quartzsite, AZ to see where the big RV show happens in 2 weeks.  • Consider, if you don't already have, Passport America membership -- well worth investment, as there are many good P.A. campgrounds along your route.  Happy Trails!   Jack
Jack - Teal 2003 IB31
Southeastern LD  #19 •• Southwestern LD  #14  ••
LD Caravan  #2999

Re: [LD] California to Arizona routing
Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 157985
" I agree with Linda that it's a good road, but it's also a LOT of extra miles (and time/gas). "

There's only 9 miles difference between the I-10 route and going down AZ-85.

Linda Hylton
Linda Hylton

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 157986
Ian & Jean wrote:

We are coming down from Seattle for the Morro Bay rally in March,

then going thru LA and  east to Phoenix, Arizona, down to Tucson and spend some time in that area. Any recommendations as to RV parks and things to see on the way?

Is there a particular reason you want to go thru the Los Angeles Basin?

If not, then the route I'd take would be:

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 157992
We are spending a week at Anza Borrego State Park a bit west of Salton Sea CA.  If you  drop down SR 86 just past Palm Springs, you can drop down to I-8 and skip Phoenix.

You might look imto that.

Joel & Mary '13 31 IB '11 CRV towd
Joel & Terry Wiley
dog Zeke
2013  31 IB   Orwan   / 2011 CRV Tow'd LWEROVE

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 157993
Well, yes, driving through Phoenix can be painful. (*Nothing* compared to the LA basin, though.) There is one thing I really enjoyed in Phoenix, though: the Musical Instrument Museum. Well worth the $20 and at a fast clip maybe you can get through half the exhibits in 6 hours. If you get peckish, there's a restaurant. But of course, you'll have your handy dandy, well provisioned Lazy Daze in the parking lot, I forgot. (-: The American music exhibits are illuminating. An audio guide is included in the admission fee. Very well done.

Kathy Lautz
1999 MB
1999 MB