Skip to main content
Topic: House air conditioner problem (Read 14 times) previous topic - next topic
House air conditioner problem
Yahoo Message Number: 157964
Hi Group; I am happy to relate that my air conditioner seems to be fine.  Temps were near 90 last week and humid too.  I have changed the filters and just had the conditioner check out today and all seems to be ok.  It is believed that the unit was just overwhelmed by the heat last week.  Not turning it on until 5pm did not help either.  As previously stated we rarely use the AC as the fans usually do an adequate job and then we usually camp in cooler climates.
 But we came to this RV repair shop for another problem.  Our black tank developed a small leak where the pipe exits the tank...I tried caulking it but that did not work.  This dealer used epoxy and fiberglass cloth and it is now curing.  We are not supposed to use the toilet tonight but tell that to our 75 year old bodies.  Wish us luck!

Happy new year, Mike Lewis

2007 RK

Re: House air conditioner problem
Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 157987
The fiberglass cloth and epoxy may work well for you IF they used the appropriate type of epoxy like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Loctite-1363118-Plastic-Bonder-Syringe/dp/B0044FBB8C/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1452184344&sr=8-1&keywords=loctite+abs+plastic+bonder

When my '05 LD was new I managed to bonk the black tank outlet on a curb, I used a soldering gun like this: http://www.amazon.com/D550PK-120-volt-200-watt-Professional-Soldering/dp/B00002N7S1/ref=sr_1_2?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1452184425&sr=1-2&keywords=soldering+gun

The above kit includes a hot knife tip, but I made may own using a short length of 10 gauge copper wire (12 ga might work), bend into shape and hammer tip into a thin sharp spade shape with sharp front and back edges. The knife is inserted into one end of the crack and then moved slowly to the other end. The ABS plastic melts and then flows back together at the trailing edge of the blade. When at the far end of the crack, remove blade and then use it at a shallow angle to "smooth" over the crack. This works well on a crack that is not gapped open but rather is fairly tight. If gapped open you will need some filler material, see below.  BTW, the Harbor Freight hot knife blade would be too thick for this purpose.

Another method that should work just as well, or to further reinforce the above hot knife repair, would be to use ABS solvent cement (used on black ABS pipe (Home Depot). Buy a cheap pipe fitting and use it to make some filings. Mix filings with a small amount of ABS cement to make a thick paste and apply that to and over crack. Then cover with a piece of fiberglass cloth previously wetted with ABS cement. (Note I haven't needed to try this, as the simple hot knife fix has worked with no leaks.

bumper
As an Amazon Associate Lazy Daze Owners' Group earns from qualifying purchases.
bumper
"Yonder" '05 MB
"WLDBLU" glider trailer