Skip to main content
Topic: Oven burner cycles on and off (Read 9 times) previous topic - next topic
Oven burner cycles on and off
Yahoo Message Number: 157936
We are having a problem with our oven cycling on and off when it warms up.  The pilot lights normally and the burner lights and stays on when the oven is first started.  After a few minutes, the burner flame goes out and then relights with a whooshing noise.  It will continue to do this for awhile.  It appears that the gas does not shut off, just that the flame goes out and then relights with a whoosh.  The regulator at the propane tank was recently replaced to see if it would correct the problem, but there is no difference.  All of the other propane appliances including the burners on the stove work normally.  The range is the original Atwood model that came with the coach.  Any suggestions on how to proceed to get the problem corrected?  Thanks

Steve Jackson '99 RB

Re: Oven burner cycles on and off
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 157937
Although I have not encountered this issue, I would check the appearance of the flame on the burner. If it is riding high off the burner, the mixture is too lean, and too rich if it is excessively yellow. If either is the case, you may need to disassemble the burner and inspect the air mixture port for any issue.

Steve
2004 FL
2013 Honda Fit

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 157938
Unless I am misunderstanding something, this sounds like normal behavior for a gas oven. That's how the temperature gets regulated by the thermostat, with the flame turning on and off. How often does it cycle on and off? Does the cycling frequency change at different oven temperature settings?Perhaps a defective thermostat? In any case, gas appliances are to be treated with a great deal of respect. If it is making you uncomfortable, get a pro to check it out.

Kathy Lautz
1999 MB
1999 MB

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 157939
Steve,

It is possible that something in the  burner (spider web, piece of rust) could be disturbing  the flow of gas, causing the problem. I would second the suggestion to get a pro involved if you don't find a simple solution. Good luck.

Bill

2003 -- 23'FL
Bill
2003 -- 23' FL

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 157945
Hello Steve.  Sounds like you have tried to fix this without success, which is certainly frustrating.  You may have seen this pdf file that contains several problem solving steps from Atwood.

http://www.atwoodmobile.com/dealer-manuals/RangeManual.pdf

Several of the listed problems in your post seemed to be referenced in the above file ... at least I hope so. Please post the final outcome of this problem.

Ed & Margee Fort Worth