Skip to main content
Topic: Going solar (Read 16 times) previous topic - next topic
Going solar
Yahoo Message Number: 157888
I'm considering having a PV system installed on our 1995TK. I have a very modest battery use load. Just the stock items and I may add  TV.
Normally my 2 house batteries will last about 3 to 4 days. I'm looking to reduce using my noisy and stinky generator.

What can I expect to pay for a modest system?
2021 Mid Bath

Re: Going solar
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 157900
How much its going to cost will depend on if you plan to do it yourself or pay to have it done.

A 100 watt solar panel can be had for $140 on Amazon (includes prime shipping). A 10 amp charge controller is less than $20, so all in you can have a decent small system for little more than $200. But, if you plan on maybe adding more solar panel capacity, it would be better to spend a bit more on a more capable charge controller going in.

I have no idea how much the companies like AM Solar charge, I installed the 400 watt solar system in Yonder back when panels cost a lot more.

bumper
bumper
"Yonder" '05 MB
"WLDBLU" glider trailer

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 157903
Ted,
 The Renogy kits seem to be popular these days if you're considering DIY.
 200 watt kit (expandable to 400) complete with controller, brackets, wiring etc for $339.
Amazon.com: Renogy 200 Watt 12 Volt Monocrystalline Solar Panel Starter Kit...

And a tutorial for this kit on Youtube.
 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7x1iX66olk

Steve
As an Amazon Associate Lazy Daze Owners' Group earns from qualifying purchases.
2015 TK

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 157905
FYI this is the PWM model

200 watt kit (expandable to 400) complete with controller, brackets, wiring etc for $339.

the MPPT version  for $500  is there by clicking on the option

Amazon.com: Renogy 200 Watt 12 Volt Monocrystalline Solar Panel Starter Kit...

The company is here (seems to be ok company) http://www.renogy-store.com/Rigid-Solar-Panels-s/1831.htm Overall seems a system to consider :)   They have a phone number!
 Maybe someone will compare PWM  vs  MPPT    all I know is I would not buy a PWM for an RV  (where % counts)

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 157906
When building a new solar charge system, definitely go with a MPPT controller.  A 10% gain is about average compared to a cheaper PWM controller.
Solar panels are cheap, compared to just a few years ago, so filling the roof is practical as long as the rest of the system is designed for the power .

The premium Renogy 200-watt kit ($499), has a small 20-amp MPPT, which limits upgrading much beyond 200-watts.
Separately buying their 40-amp MPPT controller allows upgrading to 400-500 watts of solar. Note that both the 20 and 40-amp models require an optional $35 remote meter for monitoring.
Amazon.com : Renogy Tracer 4210 40 Amp MPPT Charge Controller, 12/24V 100VDC...

I have no experience with Renogy, so no recommendation here.
Been using Sky Blue controllers since Heliotrope went out of business.
 Sky Blue 3000i solar controller | Flickr

If you want a near complete system, AM Solar sells nice kits with most of the thinking done for you.

All systems require ANL or better fusing. Wish LD would use a better fuse for the Factory solar, the cheap inline fuse has way too much voltage drop.

Wiring, from multiple solar panels, is typically joined together in a water-proof, roof-top combiner box, with two large wires entering into the interior, leading to the controller.
For a 200-watt system, 10-gauge wire is barely adequate (I hate voltage drop in charging systems), preferring 8-gauge or even 6-gauge, if you plan on adding panels in the future.
Marine-grade tinned wire, lugs and crimp-on connectors will help keep the system producing its maximum for a long time, you get what you pay for when it comes to wiring charing systems.
It's one place where saving money can be a bad thing

A battery capacity meter is a natural match to a solar charging system. For a complete system add a LinkLite or Victron BMV.
Amazon.com: Xantrex 84-2030-00 LinkLite Battery Monitor : Tools & Home...

http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/show_product.do?pid=51924

I have never meet anyone who complained about having too much solar power...especially in the winter time.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 157914
Thanks everyone! AM Solar is in our way this spring to Alaska. I'm gonna call them Monday to see about the cost of an install.
What's your opinion of LiPo batteries they recommend?
2021 Mid Bath