Skip to main content
Topic: Atwood heater problem (Read 12 times) previous topic - next topic
Atwood heater problem
Yahoo Message Number: 157835
We picked up our new 27MB in Oct and drove it back to OR. and the HWH worked fine. Winterized it for 2 months and on 12/27 we left Bend for warmer climates. The HWH will not stay lit. Turn the toggle on and it fires but will not stay lit, maybe 2 minutes before it the fire cuts off. Leaving the switch on and it will periodically fire for a short time. Plenty of propane, have been using the stove, the fridge on gas so I'm thinking electrical? I have removed the 7.5 fuse, which was OK and as soon as I replaced the fuse the fire relit but for a short time. The mothership is closed until Jan 4, so I can't call for help, so I am pleading for some advice before calling the mobile mechanic. We don't like using this CG's showers. Thanks John
John in Bend, OR

Re: Atwood heater problem
Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 157838
Water will come out of both faucets even with the by pass on. It bypasses the heater doesn't block it. You need to make sure you have water in the water heater tank first. If you winterised I doubt that you have fully filled the heater. I am not sure what the current bypass kit installed is. But open your pop off on the tank and if you have water in the heater the pump will kick on and pump water out the pop off. And your pump switch has to be on of course..

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 157847
My bet is a bat ignitor board.  Mine failed int he first 6 months.  It displayed similar symptoms.  If that is the issue, the fix is simple - replace the board.  That is a warranty issue.  It delayed my travels but cost me nothing.

Ken F in NM
'08 MB

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 157848
"My bet is a bad ignitor board."

That's a good guess; I've seen more than one of these fail. It'll cost only about eighty bucks to replace it with a Dinosaur UIB-S universal ignitor board, which is better built than the original board. I have yet to see a Dinosaur board fail. (They also make replacement boards for RV furnaces and refrigerators.)

Andy Baird
As an Amazon Associate Lazy Daze Owners' Group earns from qualifying purchases.
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 157851
As mentioned before, if it lights off and then shuts off after a minute or less. it is most likely the control board.
This a fairly common problem.
 Do check all the electrical connections and grounds for clean connections and proper voltage to the control box. I have seen all sorts of problems caused by poor connections.

Another vote for Dinosaur Boards, a much better quality board than stock, for all you control board needs

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 157853
John said "Turn the toggle on and it fires but will not stay lit, maybe 2 minutes before it the fire cuts off. Leaving the switch on and it will periodically fire for a short time."

I would not disagree with the possibility that the board may be bad and causing the problem, but Atwood claims they are much more reliable than in the old days. As I understand it from reading the sequence of operation (generally for an Atwood WH), the only device that would interrupt the heating cycle and allow it to fire again without a lockout or a reset is the primary water temperature control thermostat. I can imagine that if the WH is not full of water as others have suggested, it could heat up the water quickly, cycle off, cool down and cycle back on again briefly.

Though I'd be a bit surprised if the thermostat is bad or has lost it's ability to control at the right temperature, I'm sure it's possible. Others may be able to offer insights into the reliability of the thermostat. I hope this may help think about the problem.

Bill 2003 --23"FL
Bill
2003 -- 23' FL

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 157854
I belong to the club of bad water heater igniter boards. Mine was intermittent at first and then wouldn't light at all. It's the only electrical failure I have had with an appliance. At least it's an easy fix you can do yourself.

bobmoore14

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 157868
For all those who replied a big thanks. I found the problem which was NO WATER in the HWH. I had a rv repair winterize it for us and they left the bypass in place which was a mistake on their part. I pulled the drawers and saw the bypass tube and felt so stupid. At least it was an easy fix and didn't need a mobile guy to come out and saved myself some expense. The money I saved I spent on a new battery for the toad which wouldn't start after 6 years. The life on the road. Thanks to all. John
John in Bend, OR