Skip to main content
Topic: Engine Upgrade in 1995 22.5 TK (Read 12 times) previous topic - next topic
Engine Upgrade in 1995 22.5 TK
Yahoo Message Number: 157771
Good Evening Friends; I know most if not all you people on here never have attempted this but I thought Id check on the outside chance that maybe there are a few mechanics driving ld s out there.   Im particular to doing all my own work from engine to tailpipe and all the coach things in between.
MY wife and I have looked long and hard for a ld and found our near perfect one even tho a bit old a very nice unit.  Our only problem is we use a toad that is a wee over the practical limit to tow it very much.  It tows it and we manage but the 350 chevy engine is not a workhorse by any stretch of the imagination.  We were wanting to land a ford v 10 or 460 efi but such is life and we are not good friends with a banker or want to be in debt for that matter for life were to old for such.
We have done engines and swaps and rebuilds for years with two boys it was a never ending thing but what we are faced here with is a VAN;;   We have never been faced with a VAN to change or swap or ect the engine,  it appears to be a bit of a complicated matter to me.
Has anyone out there ever upgraded this old style chevy 30 van to a bigger engine that would have any pointers on which would work and what is the best remove and replace method on these VANS; I don't know if a old small block 400 would be enough benefit or maybe go with a 454 efi about the same year if it would all fit? And yes a smaller toad is an option tho we hate to get rid of our jeep Cherokee our dogs really like it :) :) and it works for us.
Thanks for any info ; Grumpy and Esther

Re: Engine Upgrade in 1995 22.5 TK
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 157772
Hi Grumpy, First off, anything is possible with enough know-how and resources. I believe a 454 was an option in the Chevy chassis, so that would be the easiest upgrade. Although a bored and stroked 350 (which I think is a 383?) would be easier I suppose. But I'm not sure if that engine would be suitable for RV use.
To drop a big block in, I'm sure there are a number of parts you will need to change out, suspension, wheels wells, etc. I would find a similar year van that had a big block at a wrecking yard, and pull all the parts I needed from that. Sourcing the engine is a whole other thing. Lots of options. That's how I would go about it.
One last thing, I think the only way to get the engine out/ in, is from below. So you will need to be able to lift it high enough to accomplish that.
Good luck and keep us posted on your project.
Victor

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 157774
Some people tow a heavy toad on the flat, but unhitch and drive it in the mountains. That might be easier than re-engining the LD.
 It might be practical to use higher ratio rear end to better match the weight to the engine, and just drive a bit slower to compensate.

Eric
  [lifewithalazydazerv] wrote on 12/27/2015 3:45 PM:
2005 Jayco 24SS

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 157779
From the day we ought our 1983 22' FL, I wished for more power. It usually got us to where we wanted to be but it was slow. It was used a few times for towing and that was pure torture, the 165 HP was not enough.
I considered upgrading to a 383 RV crate engine but it also really needed the 4L80E 4-speed overdrive transmission to take full advantage of the increased power and to reduce wear on the engine.
To have properly done it would have cost more than what the RV was worth and that was with me doing all the work.
We waited until LD finally introduced the 23.5" FL, in 2003,  with the heavy-duty E-450 chassis.
We bought one and are still very pleased with it after 12 years and 92,000 miles, much of it pulling a built Jeep Cherokee. Compared to the G-30, the E450 is a superior chassis in all respects.

Your 1995 LD is a much better candidate for a power upgrade than our 1983 LD, already having the 4L80E overdrive transmission and port fuel injection.
A 383 RV crate motor would be a drop in swap. It has a 350 block, bored oversize, and uses a 400-cu/inch small-block crank. All the accessories should bolt up and the ignition and fuel injection just need to be swapped. Some applications do require larger capacity fuel injectors.
With later model heads, horsepower can be doubled although I would want a more conservative output, to prevent overheating, the cause of most 350 V8's death. You would want to research this a bit to find the right engine for your application.
The cooling system needs to be in top shape, with the best radiator available. A very responsive toad brake would be high on my list of requirements.
A dual exhaust system, with a "X" or crossover pipe is suggested. Exhaust headers are OK but they do dump a lot of heat into the engine bay and the driver's right foot. Once again, more research.
The major limitations of the G-30 chassis, other than the lack of horsepower, is the lightweight frame,  a low GVW and maxed-out suspension. Be careful not to overload it.

Having changed 350 engines, in two Chevy vans, it ranks high on the degree of difficulty, due to the very tight fit. Figure double the time, compared to changing engines in a pickup truck.
The Factory Service manual specifies unbolting the front cross member and dropping the engine, transmission and front suspension (wheels attached) all in one piece. Unfortunately this requires a hoist big enough to lift the body high enough to roll the sub-assembly out in in one piece. Easy for a commercial garage, not so easy for the home mechanic. So taking the engine out of the front is the other choice and it is a shoe horn fit.
Don't bother renting an engine noise, buy one from Harbor Freight and sell it when you are done, it's a much cheaper and convenient option.
 No way would I consider changing to the 454 big block, the small block is hard enough to work on, plus you would have to find all the other pieces that are different between the 454 and 350. These are computer controlled engines so you would need to find the right computer and whatever smog equipment is used.
You would almost need to find a junked G-30, with a 454, to get all the little pieces. And finding out what all those little pieces are would require a lot more research.
IMO, I would stick with a 383 and make life a little easier, it will be be a major project as is.

Have fun

Larry https://www.flickr.com/photos/lwade/collections/72157603770063511/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lwade/collections/72157603770130683/
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 157784
Larry, you guys are very helpful.  I think if I cant find a ford to trade up to ill give that rv engine a try.  We dont really have a weight problem we try not to carrie everything were not full time :-) We are thinking about a trip to see our brother in law for some radiator customising, he owns a radiator shop. :-) Does the front grill an all come off for lower engine removing? Thanks Grumpy