Skip to main content
Topic: Troublesome drawer slides.... (Read 51 times) previous topic - next topic
Troublesome drawer slides....
Yahoo Message Number: 157651
The two big drawers under the fridge in our FL have been problematic for awhile, popping out of their tracks when extended out unless supported by hand. I gave up on the factory hardware, and ordered new slides rated for 35 lbs., the Centerline 714 24" model.

Comparison between the original Accuride 01048 drawer slide from LD and the Centerline model 714 24":

The Centerline is about 1" longer, but fits fine by drilling two new holes in the drawer mount half. It does NOT have the drawer retention feature, so that must be provided separately. The stock Accuride contains 8 ball bearing sets, and over time, the stress at these few wear points allows the track to pop apart at full extension. Eventually, grooves are worn where the bearings pop out in the cabinet half of the guide, requiring replacement. These guides are available from the Mothership. I was looking for a better solution in the Centerline guide, which contains 20 sets of ball bearings. This should cause much less stress on the guide and prolong its life indefinitely. Also, the back support for the Centerline is identical dimensionally to the Accuride, but of beefier steel, so I replaced those as well. Once installed, the new tracks had a distinctly more solid feel, and they also extend a bit further out than before.
 For a retention feature, I cut triangular pieces of hardwood as ramps, max height about 0.6", and glued them to the underside of the drawer bottom, about 0.95" back from the interior front panel of the drawer near the track. It remains to be seen if they hold up over time, but the feel and function is about the same as with the retention system on the old slides.

Steve
2004 FL
2013 Honda Fit

Re: Troublesome drawer slides....
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 157656
Surely, after all the positive upgrades the Mothership has seen fit to bestow on newer LDs, improved, MODERN drawer glides can't be far behind. All I want for Christmas is functioning drawer glides.

Chris
Formerly: 2002 30' IB

Re: Troublesome drawer slides....
Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 157695
Added a file with explanatory pics and essentially my original post to 'Files', 'Maintenance and Repairs', 'drawer_slide_repair.doc'.
2004 FL
2013 Honda Fit