Skip to main content
Topic: small trucks as a toad (Read 17 times) previous topic - next topic
small trucks as a toad
Yahoo Message Number: 157412
Does anyone tow a small truck as a toad? Looking for some suggestions, are they to heavy, to much to tow 4 down? Just throwing it out there because I could use a truck more at the sticks and bricks when not on the road. John in Oregon  Thanks
John in Bend, OR

Re: small trucks as a toad
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 157414
I have no idea what the curb weight is for whatever truck you have in mind. If it's less than 4,000 pounds you could tow it, probably it will require a trailer. Which would be a deal killer for me.

You might wish to search this site for more info. Tows/toads are discussed again and again.

Here's a dated article on the Companion http://lazydazearticles.blogspot.com/search/label/Tow%20Vechiles

And another http://lazydazearticles.blogspot.com/2011/02/towing-and-toads.html
Don & Dorothy
Sold our LD in June of 2023

Our boring always non-PC travel blog
Traveling Dorothy

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 157415
I have seen several tow the Ford Ranger p/u manual trans only, the auto cannot be towed 4 down. Ford doesn't currently make them anymore but the used market is there. I believe a Mazda is the same truck with  different badging. As always consult the owners manual to make sure towing 4 down is okay.

bobmoore14

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 157416
You have to kinda of chuckle when author of towing article starts off with criticizing jeep as a toad vehicle because it gets awful mileage. This coming from an LD owner whose rig gets 9 mpg. For the record I own a 2014 4-door Jeep Rubicon which gets an average of 18 mpg which ain't bad given it's fun quotient.

John

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 157418
If your worried about gas mileage this is not the hobby for you. I cared about gas mileage when I was a poor surf bum with a crappy job. Since I got a career and eventually retired not so much. My Jeep Cherokee Toad got about 20-21 mpg on the highway when I got it.
I think after the new 4.6 stroker motor and supercharger is put on it won't get that. It's a good thing gas is 1.99 a gallon where I hang out now. Hopefully for awhile.

My LD gets 10-12 mpg when not towing, much less when I am. There are better things to worry about in this world, like when the next outbreak of zombies will happen. Or how many beers are left in the fridge.

bobmoore14

"He is truly strange" she said. And she was right.

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 157421
While we're at it, add 4x4 to the specs.....
Joel & Terry Wiley
dog Zeke
2013  31 IB   Orwan   / 2011 CRV Tow'd LWEROVE

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 157422
You have to kinda of chuckle when author of towing article starts off with criticizing jeep as a toad vehicle because it gets awful mileage.

Chuckle away. I wrote it. We own two Jeeps and would not consider another toad. However, unless you enjoy serious off-roading, it's a poor choice for a toad.
Don & Dorothy
Sold our LD in June of 2023

Our boring always non-PC travel blog
Traveling Dorothy

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 157425
We tow a 2001 Ford Ranger automatic. We had a driveshaft disconnect installed to allow us to tow it 4 down. I think that was about $1100-1200 parts and labor. We already owned the truck and it had about 70k miles on it when we had it modified. We have about 8k tow miles on it in the last 8 months and have been happy so far.
Randy
Captain of The Wanderer
2005 RB

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 157426
When I picked a tow vehicle the Jeep Cherokee was an easy choice. It didn't bounce around like the Suzuki Stuff I tried. There is room to take friends along. It rides nice for these old bones. I love it. And in my mine it will be the ultimate hot rod. We will see if Larry agrees. I should have took pictures of all he has done to it so far.

Consider attending MOAB next year. It's awesome.

bobmoore14

Something good is coming your way. I can feel it.

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 157427
We dragged a '99 Ranger, stick shift, around for several years. Good tow vehicle. Put a cap on the back, a roof rack on that, a bike rack on the hitch and hauled kayaks, bikes, and related stuff.
A Ranger is really a Mazda B series  truck so if you're looking for one, be sure to include Mazda in your search.

Ed

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 157458
Would love to see pixs of your Cherokee!...selling an awesome PT Cruiser & searching for a Cherokee Sport or equal...like the boxy older rigs...live in Lake Havasu City, AZ during winter, besides all the rods & antiques, us commoners opt for HHR Chevys & PTs...smart fart cars, Razors, et al adult play things...
...great old school auto shop owner ditto so your comments plus low, no dust on backcountry roads? Best Always, Vaughn