Skip to main content
Topic: 3M Clear Bra removal (Read 333 times) previous topic - next topic
3M Clear Bra removal
Yahoo Message Number: 157024
The previous owner of my 05 LD had the 3M Clear Bra vinyl film installed on the front hood as well as the front of the overhead.  I'm sure it was a good idea at the time but now it's really looks bad.  It's like brown scratches are appearing all over under the film and the glue is turning loose around the edges.  Has anybody had any experience removing and replacing this film?

As usual, any input is greatly appreciated.

David 05RK
david 05rk

Re: 3M Clear Bra removal
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 157025
I think it can be done with a heat gun (or hair dryer).
Link to youtube video: Honda clear bra removal

sometimes the bra is in really bad shape and requires a different approach that takes longer. link to youtube video: Removing 3M clear Bra

Just take it slow.
John
Currently: 2008 36' Tiffin Open Road
Previously: 2007 Mid Bath

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 157031
Not with that specific film, but I have always had good luck removing decals, etc. by using a hair dryer. Don't let the surface get too hot. It should melt the glue and allow you to peel it off.

Dick

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 157032
David-
 Here are three relatively recent threads from the iRV2 fora. There are others.

Mark
 http://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/3m-film-removal-122055.html

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/3m-film-removal-ok-i-quit-233041.html
 http://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/3m-film-mask-removal-209949.html
Former owner, 31-foot gas Class A
Former owner, 1997-8 mid-bath

De--Solv-It product will easily clean up...LD] 3M Clear Bra removal
Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 157044
On Nov 17, 2015, at 4:12 PM, 'Richard Hughes'  [lifewithalazydazerv]  wrote:

Not with that specific film, but I have always had good luck removing decals, etc. by using a hair dryer.  Don't let the surface get too hot.  It should melt the glue and allow you to peel it off.

Dick

From:lifewithalazydazerv@yahoogroups.com [mailto:lifewithalazydazerv@yahoogroups.com] Sent: Tuesday, November 17, 2015 11:35 AM To:lifewithalazydazerv@yahoogroups.com Subject: [LD] 3M Clear Bra removal

The previous owner of my 05 LD had the 3M Clear Bra vinyl film installed on the front hood as well as the front of the overhead.  I'm sure it was a good idea at the time but now it's really looks bad.  It's like brown scratches are appearing all over under the film and the glue is turning loose around the edges.  Has anybody had any experience removing and replacing this film? As usual, any input is greatly appreciated.
David 05RK

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 157130
Thanks to everyone who responded.   I think I have my work cut out for me.  Mine looks like the youtube video so it can't get much worse.   I will probably start by trying the Turtle Wax Ultra Wet Tire Shine product along with the plastic scraper to start.   The gasoline approach mentioned in one of the links sounded kind of interesting.  If it gets to that point just look for the big fire in the sky!!!    I'll post my findings as I go along.

Thanks again.

David 05RK
david 05rk

UPDATE #1 Re: 3M Clear Bra removal
Reply #6
Well the fun has begun!  After watching multiple YouTube videos and talking to companies who deal with Clear Bra I started the film removal process last week.  So far I've used a heat gun to remove the film and that process has been slow but somewhat successful.   After about five hours of work I have about two square feet of the hood cleaned.  REMOVING THE ADHESIVE IS THE BIGGEST PAIN.  I started by using Goof Off and WD40, painfully slow and a LOT of elbow grease.  I then tried  Goo Gone then Gasoline.  Neither work as good as WD40.   A rough estimate of forty hours is what it's looking like to complete just  the hood!  My advice at this time to anyone who is considering  applying Clear Bra is know what your getting into.  I think my rv being exposed to direct sun for eight months a year may be what is contributing to my fiasco.   However, it does look good where I've cleaned so far.

David 05RK

david 05rk

Reply #7
  After about five hours of work I have about two square feet of the hood cleaned.  REMOVING THE ADHESIVE IS THE BIGGEST PAIN.  I started by using Goof Off and WD40, painfully slow and a LOT of elbow grease.  I then tried  Goo Gone then Gasoline.  Neither work as good as WD40.  A rough estimate of forty hours is what it's looking like to complete just  the hood! 

A body shop would used a 3M decal removal wheel, with a large angle grinder. The wheel is a big eraser that removes both the decal and most of the adhesive, at the same time. This is what they use when a heat gun or hair dryer is ineffective at loosening the stripes or decals.
Scotch-Brite(TM) Large Area Stripe Removal Disc 07517, 8" Diameter, 5/8"...
To remove the remaining adhesive, they use 3M's general purpose adhesive remover, it works better than Goof Off and WD-40.
3M General Purpose Adhesive Cleaner, Quart, 08984: Amazon.com: Industrial &...

Larry

As an Amazon Associate Lazy Daze Owners' Group earns from qualifying purchases.
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #8

Just a word about that 3M General Purpose Adhesive Cleaner: it works, but it's a hellish stew of volatile, toxic solvents. So if you use it, be very sure you have not only adequate ventilation, but a really high quality industrial respirator with organic vapor cartridges.

Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #9
Thanks for the info Larry.  I'll try that route.  It will be a little over a week or so before it arrives from Amazon.

Andy, I will be outside the whole time.  I don't have a respirator so I'll probably put a fan blowing across so as to avoid breathing vapors.  I'll be wearing gloves as well.

Stay tuned for further updates.
david 05rk

Reply #10

A good investment when working with strong solvents is in a 3M disposable organic filter.
It eliminates any smell of solvent. They were developed for painters using today's toxic, two-part auto paints.
Amazon.com: 3M 07192 Paint Spray Resp. Medium: Automotive
Store it in the provided airtight bag to prevent it from absorbing gases from the air, ending it's useful life prematurely.

Another aid in removing the adhesive are plastic razor blades. Use them push the adhesive into balls that an more easily be picked off. Being plastic, the blades will not harm the paint.
Shark 66 Plastic Razor Blades, 10-Pack - - Amazon.com
Use the 3M solvent for final cleanup, it is the best for this purpose and is the standard of the auto body world.

Larry

Larry

Reply #11
A body shop would used a 3M decal removal wheel, with a large angle grinder. The wheel is a big eraser that removes both the decal and most of the adhesive, at the same time. This is what they use when a heat gun or hair dryer is ineffective at loosening the stripes or decals.

We've removed 3M film from our coach - used essentially a wallpaper steamer and our hands.  It was slow going but no damage to the paint.  We then used an adhesive remover I suspect was similar to those with the warnings above about ventilation plus the use of plastic razor blades.

This is actually what a well-respected paint/fiberglass shop recommended to us.  It's the method they use to remove the film.

Reply #12
Michelle,

Thanks for the encouraging word.  Did you have to take it off the front of the over head cab also?

David 05RK
david 05rk

Reply #13
Using heat to remove decals is great as long as the decals are still somewhat intact and peel off in mostly large pieces.
When decals dry and crack into small pieces, the 3M rubber wheel is the fastest way of removing the thousands of individual pieces. The process is very dependent on the condition of the old decals.

Larry
Larry

3M Clear Bra removal UPDATE
Reply #15
Well I started the clear bra removal project a couple of months ago.  At this point I'm about one third of the way through.  I've found that using a combination of a heat gun to remove the film then using 3M adhesive remover (with respirator and vinyl gloves) with plastic razor blades and a lot (and I mean a lot) of elbow grease, seems to work the best.  It's just slow going but progress is being made.  Thanks again for all the advice and recommendations. Stay tuned, more updates to come.

David 05rk
david 05rk

Re: 3M Clear Bra removal - UPDATE 9-4-16
Reply #16
The project is complete.  Well the part I intended to do (the hood) because it looked the worst.  What I found to work the best was plastic razor blades from Amazon and 3M Adhesive Remover also from Amazon.  Both were recommended to me via this forum.    ELBOW GREASE and PATIENCE also played a large or should I say LARGE part.  And yes Andy, I did purchase a respirator and I'm very grateful for your advice to do so.  Thanks again to everyone who provided input.  Before and after pictures available upon request.  Haven't figured out how to include them in this post.

David 05rk

david 05rk