Skip to main content
Topic: Cleaning Products (Read 21 times) previous topic - next topic
Cleaning Products
Yahoo Message Number: 153510
Looking for recommendations for cleaning products for the shower, bathroom sink and kitchen sink. We squeegee the shower walls but the floor gets grimy. Thank you. Mike & Genny

Re: Cleaning Products
Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 153512
"Looking for recommendations for cleaning products for the shower, bathroom sink and kitchen sink. We squeegee the shower walls but the floor gets grimy."

For what it's worth:

1. I use a plastic bathmat (ten bucks at Walmart) when showering. I mostly do it to avoid slips, but it helps keep the floor clean. Every couple of months I throw it in the washer with a load of clothes (but not in the dryer!).

2. After every shower I squeegee the walls and floor with a California Blade (a wide silicone-blade squeegee), then dry them with a microfiber chenille mitt (available at most auto-parts stores). This keeps the surfaces clean and eliminates water spots when traveling in hard-water parts of the country.

3. I have never had to use a cleaning product in the shower.

4. For the bathroom and kitchen sinks and counters, I use Mother's California Gold Carnauba Cleaner Wax. Probably any automotive cleaner/wax (e.g., Turtle Wax) would do as good a job, but all the other brands I've tried stink of petroleum, which is not so nice to have in your rig's interior. This brand smells like Juicy Fruit gum. That's a lot easier to live with!

Andy Baird
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 153514
I use the "miracle cleaning erasers" from Walmart. Also sold under "Mr.. Clean" brand. I can get all the dirt out of the shower and floor in about 5-10 minutes. You can rinse them out and use multiple times.

bobmoore14

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 153515
I've also used Simple Green.

---- Simple Green and/or white vinegar are cheap, non-toxic, and effective; I clean just about everything in the rig (not the exterior) with one or the other. For a grubby shower floor, a little SG, a scrub brush, and a rinse with the shower head does a great job.

As ever, YMMV.

Joan
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 153516
"I use the 'miracle cleaning erasers' from Walmart."

Those so-called erasers can be pretty useful. But bear in mind that they are abrasive, so it's probably a good idea not to use them unless really necessary.

Andy Baird
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 153517
But bear in mind that they are abrasive, so it's probably a good idea not to use them unless really necessary.

--- Agreed; abrasive products or "scrubbers" used on the shower or washbowl (or anything else plastic or acrylic) can scratch and "rough" the surface. Rough/abraded surfaces collect dirt and stains more easily than smooth surfaces and can be very difficult to clean after they are "etched" with scratches.

As ever, YMMV.

Joan
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 153518
Agreed, the scrubbers are abrasive. But I only use them on the floors to get out ground in dirt. When you ride a motorcycle in the desert you get pretty dirty and something is needed with serious cleaning power. I have tried other things like Simple Green and Oxy clean. They work well on the smooth sides as well as window cleaner. I am going to check out the squeegee method. Maybe it's better.

bobmoore14

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 153525
I use 409, Simple green, purple power non abrasive type products on my shower floor.  If you really want to keep it glistening with minimal scratching use automotive cleaner wax (such as the stuff LD sells)--at your own risk because the floor is slippery after use.
 I always dry my shower after each use and the floor only needs attention occasionally.

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 153526
Would running a soapy washcloth over one's feet before entering the shower stall help to eliminate, or at least reduce, problems with dirt/stains on the shower pan floor?  A paper towel could be used in order to eliminate said stains transferring themselves to a cloth that must then be cleansed of the grime.

Virtual hugs,

Judie http://dorrieanne.wordpress.com

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 153530
Judie, that would be much too OCD for me.  But as long as were glamping, maybe not.

Chris
Formerly: 2002 30' IB

Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 153531
I'm pretty lazy (and stiff!), so am always looking for a way to eliminate that sort of manual labor!  ;->   I don't go barefoot much any more, but when I did . . . ewwwwwww!  The sandals that I favor now have black rubber where the footpad is, so some of that transfers to my feet.  Precautions must be kept in mind.

You want OCD?  How about wearing light socks into the shower, with removal after sufficient soapy water has passed through them and onto the soles?  On second thought, how about heavy socks with which one could "scrub" the bottom of the shower (when a water hookup is available) at the same time as the shower?

I'm here all week!  ;->

Virtual hugs,

Judie http://dorrieanne.wordpress.com

Reply #12
Yahoo Message Number: 153533
Beach camping drags unwanted sand into the shower.
To prevent standing in sand and dirt, the shower floor is covered in plastic, interlocking marine floor tiles.
The drain holes in the tiles allow debris to drop through.
 http://www.westmarine.com/buy/dri-dek--dri-dek-panels--P015_456_001_512 https://www.flickr.com/photos/lwade/1415572757/in/album-72157602095133496/

The plastic grate gets lifted up every couple of days (more or less, as needed), allowing dirt under to be hosed down the drain.
 It has worked fine for twenty years in two FLs. This is one item that will never wear out.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #13
Yahoo Message Number: 153537
Too bad the Dri-Dek panels don't come in "dirt" color! ;-)

Joan
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #14
Yahoo Message Number: 153540
"Too bad the Dri-Dek panels don't come in "dirt" color! ;-)"

Joan

Gray should be close enough, I would think.

The grate is easy to clean, for a major cleaning, throw it outside and use a hose and brush.

Larry
Larry

Reply #15
Yahoo Message Number: 153545
"Looking for recommendations  for cleaning products for the shower, bathroom sink and kitchen sink. We  squeegee the shower walls but the floor gets grimy. Thank you. Mike  & Genny"
 Our shower stays pretty spotless, because it is also our cats' room - potty box, food, and water, all sitting on a segment of carpeted runner. When we convert from shower back to cat area, we have to get it bone dry first. After a quick squeegee, I use a synthetic chamois intended for drying a vehicle. It completely cleans the shower pan and stall.

Steve
2004 FL
2013 Honda Fit

Reply #16
Yahoo Message Number: 153550
I use a synthetic chamois intended for drying a vehicle.
---- The two-pack "Super Amazing Kitchen Cloth" from Trader Joe's is great for wiping up the sink, stove, drainboards, table, shower, whatever; I use one for the galley area and one for the shower walls (not the floor) and washbowl. They absorb well, rinse clean, last a long time, and can be washed. Good product. ;-)

Joan
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #17
Yahoo Message Number: 153551
Larry - might this material be suitable for use in the cabinets under the sink?  Or is it slippery?

Judie

Non-typical brevity because this is being .  :-)

Reply #18
Yahoo Message Number: 153554
Judie, I don't think that the Dri-Dek surface is slippery; if it were, I doubt that it would be very effective for its advertised uses. (And, I doubt if it would last long in Larry's shower if it were! ;-))

The website contains a lot of information on the product:

http://www.dri-dek.com/dri-dek.html

Joan
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #19
Yahoo Message Number: 153556
Interesting as anti-fatigue mat and glass drainer.  Could protect the plastic sink.  I'm not happy with the current non-slide material under the sink where my pots and pans live.

Trying to think of other possible uses in Lazy Daze and home.

Judie

Non-typical brevity because this is being .  :-)

Reply #20
Yahoo Message Number: 153557
"might this material be suitable for use in the cabinets under the sink?  Or is it slippery?"

Judie

The grates are manufactured from a hard plastic and have hundreds of little nubs for foot traction.
IMO, the type of hard objects, stored in a kitchen cabinet, will slide around, besides it stands  9/16" high, using up valuable storage space.
It's good for a sailboat's cockpit or a shower's floor, not so good for a cabinet shelf.

Good luck in your quest.

Larry
Larry

Reply #21
Yahoo Message Number: 153560
Larry,

I have a question about the "debris" that filters through the grate & washes down the drain--does that create sediment in the bottom of the gray tank? I've had to wash the dog a couple of times & try to strain out the hair (as well as my own) because I know what the drain in the stix house looks like.  I know general body dirt would kind of slosh around while driving, which might help it stay in suspension & flow out with the gray water, but what about sand that is heavier?  Thx.

Lynne LDy Lulubelle, '05 30' TB Lilly, 4-Legged Alarm
Lynne
LDy Lulubelle, Green '05 31' TB
Lilly, the 4-Legged Alarm

Reply #22
Yahoo Message Number: 153561
"I have a question about the "debris" that filters through the grate & washes down the drain--does that create sediment in the bottom of the gray tank?"

Lynne

I'm sure there is always a little left behind in either of the tanks, that's why back flushing is important.
Holding tanks are designed for all sort of 'debris'. Sand and dirt are not a problem.
My wife has long hair which probably causes more problems than dog hair.
All the grates do is to keep you standing on a clean platform, out of the dirt.

Your holding tanks should have some way of being flushed to prevent buildup and the loss of capacity.

Larry
Larry

Reply #23
Yahoo Message Number: 153562
"I have a question about the "debris" that filters through the grate & washes down the drain-" ----- As Larry mentioned, flushing the grey tank thoroughly is a good practice, but one can keep a lot of "debris" out of the tank in the first place by using mesh strainers in the drains of the sinks, washbowl, and shower to catch stuff that would otherwise get into the tank.  I use them in every drain in the rig (and in the shower in the stick house), and wouldn't be without them!

The stainles steel mesh drain strainers, sometimes carded in a two-pack, are available from several places; here's an example from Home Depot:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/DANCO-2-3-4-in-Mesh-Tub-Strainer-in-Stainless-Steel-88821/100391403

You'll realize how effective these strainers are when see what they've collected (in any of the drains) after one use! Clean them by whacking the screen against the side of the trash can; most "stuff" usually falls right out. Scrub them with an old toothbrush when they get gunky. And, keep your drains clear by periodically doing a baking soda and vinegar "blast"; put a few tablespoons of baking soda into each drain, then slowly pour about a half cup of white vinegar over it. Let this stand for a while, then repeat the process if the drain still looks scummy. Flush the drains and the grey tank well.

Joan
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #24
Yahoo Message Number: 153570
Something I would add is external holding tank flushers are a nice upgrade. If you ever get a dump valve clog you will see what I mean. Mine are the cheap Camco ones that Larry installed for me. Use them often and never had a problem.

bobmoore14