Skip to main content
Topic: Roof maintenance (Read 21 times) previous topic - next topic
Roof maintenance
Yahoo Message Number: 153379
Sorry if this is "old stuff" but, I can not seem to find the past articles about it.  I generally do OK with internet searches but, I can't seem to get the handle on navigating and finding specific info within the LD group programs.  I have saved many of the comments that I knew I would later need to refer to but, I am not having much success in finding info that others refer to as being in the files or conversations.

I just did a thorough job of cleaning the roof of our 04 MB.  After considerable scrubbing removing all but a few small stubborn  minnor stains, I find small non-removable pin head size spots in some areas.  These appear to be paint wear spots where the bare metal may be slightly exposed.  I have not found any areas to be overly concerned about.  No signs of leaks, etc., however, it seems to me that it is time to repaint the roof.

Perhaps a year ago, I read a comment by one owner who cleaned his LD roof and applied a coat of high quality exterior latex paint and was happy with the results.  I would be interested to hear from LD owners who have painted their roofs.  Does the latex hold up well?  This seems like a reasonable approach to me vs. paying a RV shop quite a bit of money to do it.

I would also be interested in knowing if anyone has found an effective treatment or coating for the large caulk "blobs" that surround most roof penetrations.  These are dried out somewhat but again, no problems other than appearance.  Is there a coating material that will help preserve and extend the life of the "blobs"?

Jim NC, 04 MB