Skip to main content
Topic: DC Portable Tire Inflator (Read 14 times) previous topic - next topic
DC Portable Tire Inflator
Yahoo Message Number: 153341
Any recommendations.
MY unit that came with my 20000 died and became a deflator. And what is a reasonable expectation for max psi you will be able to achieve in LD size tires? Any thoughts would be appreciated. thanks,  Tom
2015 MB

Re[2]: DC Portable Tire Inflator
Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 153354
Ken Thanks. Looks like it would fit the bill.
After just going through flat tire on our trip to Alaska and finding a useless air compressor supplied by previous owner, the price does not look unreasonable and it gets good reviews. Now only have to find a way to get it shipped to me here in AK.
Tom -- Sent from myMail app for Android
 Monday, 15 June 2015, 01:22PM -08:00 from "m3kend@... [lifewithalazydazerv]" :

Re: DC Portable Tire Inflator
Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 153361
Thank you George! I'm going to order it if I can find a place it will fit in. As a full timer my rig is stuffed, but there always seems to be room for "one more thing". I think if I take out my add a room which I have never use it will fit.

Bob

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 153363
It might not be necessary to carry as large a compressor since it is going to be used to top off, not fill empty tires.
Any of the Viair compressors that produce a 100-psi should be adequate for this purpose (some are lower pressure pumps-60 psi, primarily for off-road tire use).
I carry a small 12-volt compressor but have not used it in years, normally only adding air every six months. With a TPMS, no air is lost during pressure checks.

If you want a high volume air supply, a CO2 system is the way to go. They can inflate the biggest tires in a minute and run air tools.  CO2 is stored as a fluid and contain huge volumes of gas.
http://www.okoffroad.com/stuff-tank.htm
 A10-lb CO2 bottle is carried in the Jeep to handle airing up the tires, after a day of off-roading. The air pressure is dropped from around 30-psi to 12-14-psi, softening the ride and providing better traction.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 153373
Something to consider for topping off the tires is a good quality bicycle floor pump, suck as the Topeak 'Joe Blow' models - we carry one. Although it takes a lot of pumps, it is no more difficult than pumping up a high-pressure bike tire, requires no external power, is lightweight, minimal maintenance, has a very accurate gauge, and stows easily. If you tote bikes too, as we do, then you are set for both.

Steve
2004 FL
2013 Honda Fit

Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 153378
Nancy, are you able to get to all six tires with this model? Do you have enough ports to be able to power it up where you need it? I carry a 110v compressor which takes up half if a storage bay. I can plug into my exterior 120 outlets, powered by the generator if necessary. Very handy. In my 1999 MB, 12 outlets are actually pretty scarce. And how do I find out if a 12 port is rated for 15A? (I know, I know RTFM.) I'd love to find a smaller compressor but the 12v thing has me worried. And the Viair for RVs gets its power from the engine battery, with the engine running. Not sure this would be a good trade off for smaller size.
Kathy L.
1999 MB

Reply #12
Yahoo Message Number: 153393
Nancy, are you able to get to all six tires with this model? Do you have enough ports to be able to power it up where you need it?
I plug into the port in the cab and run the engine. I can reach all 6 tires. I also used it last summer to add air to one of Jeanne's back tires, so it works as well for the mid-bath. The power cord is 15'.

I may have used a 12V outlet inside the coach when I first got it, but memory is fuzzy on that. I found it easier to run from the cab than moving it around to different outlets in the coach.

As I recall, there was good information in the reviews on amazon which lead me to purchasing this. It's about the size of a loaf of bread and is fast for a 12V compressor. It's worked well for me for the 5 years I've had it.

As always, YMMV.

Nancy M 1998 FL

Reply #13
Yahoo Message Number: 153394
Loaf of bread size v. duffel bag size sounds good to me.
The eternal quest for smaller and lighter!

Kathy Lautz
1999 MB

Reply #14
Yahoo Message Number: 153396
"Loaf of bread size v. duffel bag size sounds good to me.
The eternal quest for smaller and lighter!"

Kathy Lautz

It has always amazed me when seeing the LARGE compressors some carry, you would think they are operating a garage.
The smaller Viair compressors are adequate for our needs,  as long as they can produce a 100-psi and are used by the off-road world for airing up after a day in the dirt..
We should not be blowing up flat tires, instead, just topping off.
If a tire has a big leak, no compressor is going to be of help, it's time for the spare tire.

From my own experience, adding air is something that is only done occasionally and I always do so where compressed air is available, such as at home or at a service station.
The tries should not be losing air rapidly, if is so, it's time to get to a tire shop.

Our little 12-volt air compressor has not ben used in many years, except for testing With good tires and maybe a TPMS, adding air is a very occasional occurrence.

Larry
Larry

Reply #15
Yahoo Message Number: 153397
Ah, well, the duffel bag compressor was already in the available tool inventory. I think I used it twice in 17 months of traveling. Did use it on my toad a couple of times too.
Preparing for another, shorter fall trip, hence the opportunity to rethink everything to be put back in the rig.
The one Nancy has gets power thru a 12v receptacle. The model Viair specs for RVs gets power from engine battery terminal clamps. Is this suitable for bigger RVs? Little one good for our small LDs? Will not be off-roading in toad.
Any further thoughts? KEL
1999 MB

Reply #16
Yahoo Message Number: 153400
It has always amazed me when seeing the LARGE compressors some carry

-----

Yeah; I'm one of those! ;-) But, my 2-gallon CH is hardly "shop-sized"; it's an old version of this model, about 20 pounds:

http://www.chpower.com/productdetail/2-gallon-air-compressor_fp2048

12V compressors have not worked for me; I do NOT like the clip-on valve attachment (plastic OR metal), and I've never found one that has enough "oomph" from a 12V plug anywhere and/or enough cord length to reach all the tires. Admittedly, I have not tried the Viair, but if Nancy, Bob, and others say it works, I have no reason to believe otherwise. Maybe I'll run into a Viair owner on the road one day and ask for a "test drive"! ;-)

In the meantime, I'll keep using my ancient 120VAC CH with the straight foot inline chuck (easier for me to hang on to) and a 15' #12 extension cord; it's old and it's slow, but it gets the job done. The compressor fits on its side in a 9" high compartment of the TK; it's padded with terry shop towels so it doesn't move.

As ever, YMMV.

Joan
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #17
Yahoo Message Number: 153401
"The one Nancy has gets power thru a 12v receptacle. The model Viair specs for RVs gets power from engine battery terminal clamps. Is this suitable for bigger RVs? Little one good for our small LDs?"

Kathy

A high quality 12-volt compressor is fine for our use,. It can be powered off the chassis battery or off the coach battery, using one of the interior 12-volt plugs or using an added 12-volt outlet.
A big 120-VAC compressor is overkill, taking way too much storage space and adding a lot weight.
We couldn't carry one in our 23.5' FL,  if we wanted to.
 I add a 12-volt plug,  in the exterior refrigerator compartment, which has a good 12-volt power supply,  to run the compressor and/or the macerator pump.

Larry
Larry

Reply #18
Yahoo Message Number: 153403
Nancy, If you are going to the Fall Ladeze outing in Moab, I'd like to see your compressor.  I have a CH compressor:  heavy, takes up too much space, cumbersome to operate.  I'm interested in downsizing.  Show and tell?!!

Lorna 100* heat for one more day
2003 RB

Re[3]: DC Portable Tire Inflator
Reply #19
Yahoo Message Number: 153406
What are the dates of the rally in Moab and which group is it. We maybe passing through that area in late September or early October.
Tom and Kristen. NELD -- Sent from myMail app for Android
 Thursday, 18 June 2015, 10:41AM -08:00 from "lgd12439@... [lifewithalazydazerv]" :

Re: Re[3]: DC Portable Tire Inflator
Reply #20
Yahoo Message Number: 153407
I would also be interested in attending if you get the dates. My Jeep should be ready by then and I would love to run it in the off road there. Utah has some weird laws but it is a beautiful state.

bobmoore14