Skip to main content
Topic: Off Topic - Free Windows 10 Upgrade (Read 17 times) previous topic - next topic
Off Topic - Free Windows 10 Upgrade
Yahoo Message Number: 153272
For those running Windows 8 or 8.1 you can reserve a free upgrade at Microsoft's web site. I have been testing  a Beta version of 10 and it's much better than that nightmare they call Windows 8. Windows 10 is a 3GB file download so watch your bandwidth. It will be released end of July.

bobmoore14

Hoping to upgrade to a Macbook Pro one of these days.

Re: Off Topic - Free Windows 10 Upgrade
Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 154214
Just a word of caution: Windows 10 requires mandatory automatic updates. Quoting Microsoft, "The license terms for Windows 10 require Automatic Updates be enabled as a part of keeping our customers secure and delivering Windows as a service."And operating system updates can be large downloads--sometimes more than a gigabyte.

Translation: Windows 10 can chew through big chunks of internet bandwidth without asking your permission. If you're an RVer on an internet plan with a fixed number of gigabytes per month, that could be a problem. "Overage" charges from cellular carriers can add up to big bucks quite rapidly, potentially making that "free" Windows upgrade a costly one.

Andy
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 154215
"The license terms for Windows 10 require Automatic Updates be enabled as a part of keeping our customers secure and delivering Windows as a service."

This is just one more reason to get a MAC. Microsoft has made a serious error with this policy. I tested Windows 10 beta version and it works well. But mandatory updates? No.

To the Apple Users out there what is a suitable replacement for a P.C. laptop with Intel I5 core processor, 8 gig of ram, and 1 terabyte drive?

bobmoore14

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 154216
Well it sounded great till Andy chimed in. We are still on a group plan for another year. Data is like gold to us. However I have learned to work with W8 Sandy Vt

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 154217
Apple is not a cheap replacement.  My answer will depend on the answer to this question... What is the end use of your computer?  If all your ever use is email and web surfing then a table of some sort would be fine.   I traveled for business for years.  All my personal internet use was on an iPad.
Since Microsoft has put most all its Office software on the cloud as a service you could replace your personal system will a 13' Macbook Air.

Glen
personal fine art photo stuff
TF Mack | Flickr
It's all good .......
2014 Twin King

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 154218
Glen, I have an IPAD2 which I mainly use for boondocking. It doesn't have the power appetite that my Lenovo Laptop does. But these old eyes need as good a display as I can get, and the MAC power books look pretty good. I use laptop for doing business on EBAY, storing important documents so I don't carry a ton of paper around, writing simple programs, picture editing, storing music and videos, etc. If all I did was internet surfing and email would just go to an internet café. I am a "Windows Insider" as Microsoft calls it as I test software updates and new versions for them. But I have limited bandwidth and can't tolerate automatic updates.

bobmoore14

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 154220
I run around with my ASUS running the current versions of Windows. When I am on my wireless "hot spot" I am prompted to respond to approve the update because of cost of the "metered device."  I would "assume" that  would have the same option in W10!

Fred

Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 154225
I have 13" Macbook Pro.  My wife has a Macbook Air.  I'd have to steal it when she's asleep to get it away from her.

If I was a owner of a Windows machine I'd hold on to it not do the upgrade and wait to see what  happens.  If what you have now works for you I see no reason to upgrade just because Microsoft or Apple needs a new revenue stream.

Glen

TF Mack | Flickr
It's all good .......
2014 Twin King

Reply #12
Yahoo Message Number: 154226
A friend of ours worked for Microsoft for years and said not to buy any of their software until it has been on the market for at least 6 months.

Reply #13
Yahoo Message Number: 154229
As far as I'm concerned Microsoft has won the battle to lose me as a customer. The last round of updates erased some of my Word Docs, one very important one that I had for tax records. I never have problems with my IPAD or IPHONE software, and the updates can always be stopped if I want to. I will be selling the Lenovo cheap after I get the MAC.

Technology should serve you, not make you a slave. Now time to go work on the LD.

bobmoore14

Reply #14
Yahoo Message Number: 154231
WOW ! Andy, thanks for your words of caution that automatic updates are required for Windows 10. Like so many, I am anxiously awaiting an upgrade to that system. But, I have had fits trying to keep my data usage within the allowances imposed by my Verizon Jet Pack. It is time for me to reconsider an upgrade to Windows 10.

Nate Walker 2005 30' Twin

Reply #15
Yahoo Message Number: 154245
That why I always maintain a bombproof daily backup. That has enabled me to restore my computers -- both Windows PCs and Macs --  to their healthy "before" state several times.

Reply #16
Yahoo Message Number: 154246
Hi, Nathan--

Our "twins" are cousins--LDy Lulubelle is also a 2005 30' TB...she's teal/green with tan interior, living the life in Chillicothe, MO, since Dec. 2013.  Seems I see more Island Beds in that size.  Does your baby have a name?  What color?

Lynne Lilly, 4-legged Alarm
Lynne
LDy Lulubelle, Green '05 31' TB
Lilly, the 4-Legged Alarm

Reply #17
Yahoo Message Number: 154248
I will recreate the lost files from bank and credit card statements. But if the software worked properly I shouldn't have to do this. Why makes excuses for crappy software? When I buy a product expect it to deliver. If it doesn't, get rid of it.

bobmoore14

Backups Was: Free Windows 10 Upgrade
Reply #18
Yahoo Message Number: 154249
Bob, May I suggest in the future a backup in the 'cloud'.  I use Dropbox but there are others like Evernote, Google, or AWS from Amazon.  Btw I use the free version of Dropbox.  The benefit of pushing 'sensitive' data to an outside service is it can be sync across all your devices ie Windows, Apples, or IPads.

Glen
TF Mack | Flickr
It's all good .......
2014 Twin King

Reply #19
Yahoo Message Number: 154251
I do something similar: I backup my personal data every other day to a small external USB hard drive. Since it's local, it's very fast and doesn't use up my broadband data. It doesn't back up the operating system or programs, just the data, so if those are damaged, I'd have restore the computer to it's original state and reload the programs.
Since that's been about a once every 5 to7 year problem per computer, it's tolerable, and sometimes it's time to get a new computer anyway.

Eric Greenwell
 Robert J Siegel  [lifewithalazydazerv] wrote on 7/28/2015 8:15 PM:
2005 Jayco 24SS

Re: Backups Was: Free Windows 10 Upgrade
Reply #20
Yahoo Message Number: 154252
I was able to retrieve the missing files using the Windows 10 version of system restore, but lesson learned, get a backup device. Thanks to all that commented. Now time to start shopping for a MAC. Those that get Windows 10 will notice an odd similarity to MAC IOS operating system.

bobmoore14

Reply #21
Yahoo Message Number: 154253
I bought a ZIP Drive for backup, but I am shopping for a refurb or good used MAC laptop.
IMO it's a superior product. Sometimes you get what you pay for.

A Windows PC is like a Fleetwood RV, a MAC is the LD of computers LOL.

bobmoore14

Reply #23
Yahoo Message Number: 154257
I understand your loyalty, but the hallmark of Apple is innovation, constant improvement, and customers that demandboth. None of these are attributes of Lazy Daze; in fact, I'd say a majority of LD customers discourage innovation, preferring "tried and true".

Eric Greenwell

[lifewithalazydazerv] wrote on 7/29/2015 8:15 AM:
2005 Jayco 24SS

Reply #24
Yahoo Message Number: 154258
Perhaps you meant "MAC _OS_"? iOS is used by the iPads, not the Mac.

Eric Greenwell
  [lifewithalazydazerv] wrote on 7/29/2015 8:11 AM:
2005 Jayco 24SS