Skip to main content
Topic: Recreation.gov site (Read 21 times) previous topic - next topic
Recreation.gov site
Yahoo Message Number: 153250
The recreation.gov website (apparently a Beta version) displays with the page bottom section in a band right across the middle of the page. I doubt that this weird layout is unique to my laptop/iPad; maybe others can bring up the site and see if it displays the same on their machines and report? Thanks.

Joan
2003 TK has a new home

Re: Recreation.gov site
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 153251
If you mean the line of blue icons at the bottom of the page . . . yes, they are at the bottom of the page when I viewed it just now.  Nothing looks amiss.  Maybe a temporary glitch on their part that someone has fixed in the last few moments.

Virtual hugs,

Judie http://dorrieanne.wordpress.com

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 153252
Joan,

Looks OK on my MacBook running Firefox or Safari, but a bit weird on the iPad's Safari.  On the iPad the picture blocks, i.e. "Your Memorable Adventure", "12 Awesome Hikes...", "Get Outdoors on June 13...", etc, are stacked vertically along the left edge.

Alex Rutchka, SE #4 '05 MB

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 153253
Using Chrome on the PC; display still has the bottom section across the middle of the page. iPad/Safari displays the same as Alex reported, i.e., stacked along the left edge. Maybe rec.gov and Yahoo use the same site designers.
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 153254
I should have added that my experience noted is on a MacBook Pro running Yosemite - 10.10.3.

Virtual hugs,

Judie http://dorrieanne.wordpress.com

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 153264
I just used the web site to make reservations at a COE campground and didn't see anything wrong.  It might be a function of the web browser being used. A lot of sites are trying to upgrade to use formatting features available  in the latest versions of some browsers.  As a result the web  sites may not display correctly in browsers that do not support the features.  As an example there are major differences between Internet Explorer 8 and Internet Explorer 11.  Same applies to Chrome, Firefox, etc.  Some web sites will tell you that "Your browser is not supported."  In the "old days" web sites used to determine the browser being used and present pages in a compatible form;  in other words "Different strokes for different folks."  Those days appear to be  long gone.

Doug Baker

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 153267
Doug, I just checked the display again; it's still screwed up on my Windows 7 PC using Chrome. (And on the iPad 3, but in a different way.) The home page of the .gov site has a "Beta" tag at the top; ???

Joan
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 153268
Works fine for me.  I was using Google Chrome Version 43.0.2357.124 (64-bit) with Ghostery and AdBlock enabled.  As and aside I wonder why a government site is using Facebook Social Graph, Facebook Social Plugins, Foresee, Google Analytics, Google Translate, Adobe Analytics, and Tealium.
Maybe its one the 13 added third party scripts from this web site that giving your machine some heart burn.

glen google.com/+grhafford

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 153269
Thanks for the hint, Glen. I run a utility called "Privacy Badger"; the little badger face tab was showing many "trackers" for the .gov site. On a hunch, I disabled the track blocker *temporarily* for the site, just to see if that made a difference. Voila; correct display. Imagine that! ;-)

(Badger is back on.)

Joan
2003 TK has a new home