Skip to main content
Topic: Steering Stabilizer for 1999 E450 (Read 43 times) previous topic - next topic
Steering Stabilizer for 1999 E450
Yahoo Message Number: 153207
Hi, Picked up my LD yesterday.  Excited about taking it out.

I noticed that driving the RV was not that easy compared to pulling a Trailer for years with my truck.  The RV seemed to Wonder a bit driving it home.  The tires are new.
I  like your thoughts on Steering Stabilizer.  The suspension and setup is all stock. any thoughts about upgrading the shocks in the front or putting in add-ons.

Re: Steering Stabilizer for 1999 E450
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 153208
The first thing I would do, is have the rig loaded for travel and then get the alignment checked.  It may also be a good idea to get the front and rear axle weights.  This will tell you the front/rear weight distribution.  Too little weight on the front axle can affect handling.  With the weights you can make sure the tires are at the correct pressure.  Incorrect tire pressures can also affect handling.  A four corner weighing is preferred, but it is harder to find a place that can do it.  Also, the Ford I-beam front suspension drives "like a truck".  I don't know if the 1999 had front and/or rear anti-sway bars, but a lot of people have improved their rigs behavior by adding or upgrading them.

Hope this helps, Art
Art and Barbara
Settled in Atterdag Village of Solvang
2015-2022 fulltime in a 2016 Tiffin Allegro Bus 37AP
2002-2015 2002 LD MB
Art's blog

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 153209
When tuning a  suspension system for better performance or better ride  make start with looking over the shocks and bushings ( I'm sure this was done in your inspection but not sure) to be sure that all is as the factory designed it.  Then work with the tire pressure at the front and rear.  You might also have the alignment checked. Michelin has some very good tire charts, and I have been happy with a little over what the factory recmonds for given axel weights.  (I don't have the Manuel and weights at home but I recall a  5psi increase  so I am running 65 f/75 r).
These items taken care of will bring you to a good starting point for suspension mods.
Currently: 2008 36' Tiffin Open Road
Previously: 2007 Mid Bath

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 153214
You may be able to get a set of Ford stock shocks from LD cheap - they pull them off new when customers order Bilsteins. They had them for our '04. If there is no rear sway bar, I would install one. Get a set of polyurethane bushings for the front sway bar. Simple, inexpensive upgrades that improve handling to better than new. If it still wanders too much, or if the front tires show abnormal wear, then get an alignment.
2004 FL
2013 Honda Fit

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 153218
I have the Bilstein Comfort series shocks front and back. They never bottom out even in rough off-road conditions. Much better than the stock Monroe shocks for my type of driving. I have heard there are larger sway bars available to improve handling. Not really needed for my little 23.5.

bobmoore14

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 153219
"have the rig loaded for travel and then get the alignment checked.  It may also be a good idea to get the front and rear axle weights.  This will tell you the front/rear weight distribution.  Too little weight on the front axle can affect handling.  With the weights you can make sure the tires are at the correct pressure.  Incorrect tire pressures can also affect handling.  A four corner weighing is preferred, but it is harder to find a place that can do it.  Also, the Ford I-beam front suspension drives "like a truck".  I don't know if the 1999 had front and/or rear anti-sway bars, but a lot of people have improved their rigs behavior by adding or upgrading them." --- Art's recommendations are right on. Do the simple troubleshooting "checks" one at a time; you may find that the  "wander" problem can be remedied by one of the suggested corrections.

You didn't mention what was included in the pre-purchase inspection, but since you did mention "new tires", you might also have them checked to verify that the tires are balanced correctly on the rims (and that the tires are the correct size, application, and load range, i.e., LT225/75R/16E).

*Not saying* that any of these TSBs apply to your particular vehicle; just offering the link as a resource:

http://www.ford-trucks.com/tsbs/?tsbmake=FORD&tsbyear=1999&tsbmodel=E-450

I suggest that you also have a mechanic make sure that the steering system (linkage, arms, tie rods, etc.) is properly lubed and not worn and that the power steering fluid reservoir is full. And, that the OEM front and rear anti-sway bars and bushings are not bent, worn, or missing.  Although shocks don't affect "wander" (they're dampeners to control "bounce, sway/roll, and squat"), it's very possible that replacement of this component is a pretty good idea in a 16-year-old motorhome.

As Art said, the E450 drives like a truck (it *is* a truck ;-) ) but after going step-by-step through the checks listed, you may find that heavier-duty front and rear anti-sway bars (and possibly a steering stabilizer) would further improve handling. You might want to look at Roadmaster; drill down through the chart for the proper applications:

http://www.roadmasterinc.com/bg_/rssguide.pdf

Good luck.

Joan
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 153220
I have installed Steet Safe on my 2007 E450 and the handling is much better, no wandering

From my Android phone on T-Mobile. The first nationwide 4G network.

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 153226
Hi, Just wondering where you can take a motorhome locally to get these things checked. Any truck place? Thanks.

Ellen

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 153227
Before spending any money on suspension/steering upgrades, I would give it a little time to get used to the feel. I remember when I first drove our new LD back in 2002, I felt it needed a lot of work to keep it heading down the road in a reasonable straight line. But I believe that in either the LD manual or by word of mouth from whoever did our orientation at delivery I read or heard that keeping both hands near the bottom of the wheel evened the steering out a bit. I tried it and it actually did help. After a while, as I became more accustomed to the feel, I was able to move my hands around the wheel more and felt perfectly comfortable. When we moved from our '02 FL to an '05 RB, I had no problem with the stock steering and suspension.

Just a suggestion before you spend a lot of money.

WxToad Toad Hall

Posted by:   MKHORASHADI Date: Tue Jun 9, 2015 7:58 am ((PDT))

Picked up my LD yesterday.  Excited about taking it out.
 I noticed that driving the RV was not that easy compared to pulling a Trailer for years with my truck.  The RV seemed to Wonder a bit driving it home.  The tires are new.
 I  like your thoughts on Steering Stabilizer.  The suspension and setup is all stock.
 any thoughts about upgrading the shocks in the front or putting in add-ons.

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 153228
I'm a stickler for handling.  I have 24' front lounge 2011.

1.. First thing I'd suggest is have the unit weighed front and back  and set tire pressure to the weight, using weight tables from tire Mfg.   These RVs handle a lot better with 50 PSI in front tires vs. 75 PSI in front tires, provided the weight tables call for it.  If it isn't 50, it may be 55 or 60 PSI in front.  But don't carry excess tire pressure in the front tires for the weight they're carrying.

2.  Wheel alignment with as much positive caster they can dial in up to the Ford spec limit of plus 7 degrees.  Don't try to center it in the spec range, or have it in the low end of the spec. range.  The closer to maximum limit the better -due to weight distribution of a class C motorhome.

3.  Load the RV with as much weight low and forward as possible.

4.  I had Roadmaster sway bars and track bar installed.   The sway bars definitely improved handling, less sway, less roll steer.  I'm not so sure I can feel the track bar benefit.

5.  Right now I have the Ford shocks.  To me they seem satisfactory at speeds up to 45 MPH but lack control at highway cruising speeds of 55-65 MPH.  I'm going to install Koni FSD shocks and will report on their ride and effect on handling.

6.  The advice to "get used to it" is good.  There is no way this top heavy box can handle like a modern passenger car-no matter how much you tweak the handling.  You will get more comfortable with it as time goes on.

Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 153229
Although I do not pretend to be an expert on front ends, I would never own an R V without a steering stabilizer.

After we changed from a truck with a eleven feet slide-in camper into an older twenty-eight feet Pace Arrow we felt like a hazard on the road. When hitting a pothole in the road or some kind of obstruction it actually would go into a shimmy, requiring us to slow down substantially. A self-installed SteerSafe product improved the driving into a pleasure.
The same when we bought a 1989 Lazy Daze for our daughter and her family. Despite checking the alignment several times, they were wandering all over the road. A real danger. After installing SteerSafe they were happy as it could be.
Upon delivery of our 2001 twenty-seven ft. Mid bad we were not happy with its rood-tracking either. A steering stabilizer by Hendersen resolved this problem to the point where we have driven our LD for 84,000 miles without any steering problems. A point that we learned from experience. However, if a front end with a Henderson stabilizer needs to be aligned, disconnect the stabilizer prior to and reconnect after alignment. This may prevent some frustration that we experienced once. With a SteerSafe device Im am not certain, but I assume so too.

Aad

Before spending any money on suspension/steering upgrades, I would give it a little time to get used to the feel. I remember when I first drove our new LD back in 2002, I felt it needed a lot of work to keep it heading down the road in a reasonable straight line. But I believe that in either the LD manual or by word of mouth from whoever did our orientation at delivery I read or heard that keeping both hands near the bottom of the wheel evened the steering out a bit. I tried it and it actually did help. After a while, as I became more accustomed to the feel, I was able to move my hands around the wheel more and felt perfectly comfortable. When we moved from our '02 FL to an '05 RB, I had no problem with the stock steering and suspension.

Just a suggestion before you spend a lot of money.

WxToad Toad Hall

Posted by:   MKHORASHADI Date: Tue Jun 9, 2015 7:58 am ((PDT))

Picked up my LD yesterday.  Excited about taking it out.
 I  like your thoughts on Steering Stabilizer.  The suspension and setup is all stock.
 any thoughts about upgrading the shocks in the front or putting in add-ons.
2001 MB

Reply #12
Yahoo Message Number: 153231
Congrats on your new treasure.  May you love yours as much as I love mine...
 You have gotten some good info from others - axle weights when loaded, ideally all 4 corners, tire pressures, suspension components, etc.  Depending on your location, there is one more action you might wish to have done.  Henderson Line-Up in Grants Pass, Oregon does (I think) a nice job.  They start with a test drive by one of their team.  They do it every day, with a variety of rigs, on a known roadway surface.  They then weigh all 4 corners, check front AND REAR alignment, tire wear, inflation, and suspension components.  They then talk to you about their findings and what they recommend.  In my case, it was "all is fine - you don't need anything".  That kind of matched my expectations, as I found the rig quite easy to control.  If you need them, they have and can install components such as special shocks, sway bars, steering stabilizers, and so on.
 If you will be anywhere near southwestern Oregon in your travels, a checkup with them is a minimal cost and will give you a professional assessment and recommendation.

Ken F in WY
'08 MB

Reply #13
Yahoo Message Number: 153240
Each LD most likely develops its own steering personality. That said, I agree with Ted. I have never felt the need for steering stabilizers on our '02 30' with 78k on the od.

Chris
Formerly: 2002 30' IB

Reply #14
Yahoo Message Number: 153244
'Each LD most likely develops its own steering  personality. That said, I agree with Ted. I have never felt the need for  steering stabilizers on our '02 30' with 78k on the od. Chris'
 I agree with Chris and WX. I have driven my LD 90K  miles, 50K without the steering stabilizer, and 40 K with one. I only put one on  because I was offered a near new one for a price I could not refuse. I did not  experience one iota of difference in my steering after I installed it.
Tom

Reply #15
Yahoo Message Number: 153248
At least from driving my '11 I can't see any handling symptoms a steering stabilizer would correct.  It comes factory equipped with a steering damper and there is no oscillation in the steering.  My handling complaints were  body roll, lack of shock control, and lack of steering precision.  None of which would be addressed by steering stabilizer.
 Still there are limits to how well these can handle.  We have to be realistic.
 One other issue with any handling concerns is we all react differently to the vehicle dynamics.  There very well could be benefit to the stabilizer for some-because they're picking up on something that either I don't notice, or don't find important.
 Koni FSD shocks are now in the garage.  Can't wait to try them and will certainly be a report..

Reply #16
Yahoo Message Number: 153249
My view of aftermarket steering stabilizers (or steering centering devices) is different.
IMO, they are bandaids covering up bigger problems in the steering, suspension, tires or in the loading of the RV.
Ford's Twin-I-Beam suspension is very robust but does have some steering issues, primarily the minor bump steer caused by toe-in changes, while the suspension cycles. It drives differently than most cars and takes getting used to, after a few hundred or thousand miles, it feels normal.

If you have or want one of these devices, be aware that they need regular attention to keep them working correctly.
Sate-T-Steers often loosen up and/or the springs get rusty and break. I have changed several springs through the years and had to tightened the mounting hardware on everyone of them.

Safe-Steer's clamp, on the drag link, will slip, causing the rig to steer to one side. The frame mounts, in many applications, are not adequate and end up being welded in, eliminating the ability to switch back to a stock Ford-type stabilizer. I have seen this done by Hendersons, in Oregon. I have seen them add thousands of dollars worth suspension and steering parts to new LDs.
No matter what you do, it is still a truck, not a sports car.
BTW, I have never seen any of these devices used in commercial fleets on Ford pickup or vans.

Before spending a cent on aftermarket devices, make sure the loading, suspension, steering and alignment are all corrected.
I found with our LD that by balancing the load, setting the proper tire pressure and then aligning the front end made all the difference. Before doing this, the steering did not feel right and tracked funny.
On new rigs, it's best to put a few thousands miles on it before the final alignment, to let the springs settle under the load.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #17
Yahoo Message Number: 153257
I'm one of the people Larry is referring to where "The frame mounts, in many applications, are not adequate and end up being welded in, eliminating the ability to switch back to a stock Ford-type stabilizer".

I had a stabilizer added to my '03 RB soon after taking delivery that eventually came loose and needed to be welded to the frame. If I had a choice to do it again, I would not have messed with this unnecessary, expensive add on, and reverting to a stock stabilizer is no longer an option.

Just my $.05!

Lorna
2003 RB

Reply #18
Yahoo Message Number: 153259
Although I respect every one's opinions about steering stabilizers, considering my experience with several vehicles with these devices an without, I would never own an R V without these. It may sound stubborn. However, over the years it has made the driving, and especially long-distance driving, so much more pleasant. On our 2001 MB we had the Hendersen unit installed after one of their lectures and have been happy ever since. With the SteerSafe we have used them on a older Pace Arrow and Apollo and never had any spring problems. As I mentioned in an earlier post, the Hendersen unit needs to be disconnected for front end alignment.

Aad
2001 MB

Reply #19
Yahoo Message Number: 153260
Hi Group,

The original message was from someone who had just bought a 99 E450 Lazy Daze. I don't know how many miles are on the chassis, only that the engine has around 20,000 miles. He asked for some input regarding improving the steering; I think the term "steering stabilizer" was used. The topic generated many responses and it seems even a trip to the famous shop in Oregon was even suggested.

This was a timely post for me. We're the original owners of a 2003 LD Midbath that is nearing 120,000 miles. After de-winterizing this spring, we took two short trips and I felt the steering seemed a little sloppy. I was thinking that maybe the Bilstein shocks needed replacing or maybe the suspension bushings needed attention (Larry Wade had posted about replacing the bushings).

Before this topic had come up, I had ordered a new "steering damper" from Amazon Prime; Bilstein part #24-174534 for around $100. This replaces the standard Ford steering damper; even uses for stock Ford mount and hardware. There is no need to lift the vehicle and installation is a breeze. Took me around 15 minutes.

After a brief 10 mile drive, I have to say this made a great improvement!  I am sure a lower priced steering damper would have helped too, but I've been happy with Bilstein products over the years.

Bottom line is that if you have a rig that is getting older or you have put on a lot of miles, it could be that a simple replacement of a tired Ford steering damper would help. Parts do age and wear out. Just my $.02

Steve K.
Steve K

2003 Mid-bath

Reply #20
Yahoo Message Number: 153261
I had my steering damper replaced with an OEM Monroe unit at 62K. A noticeable improvement. Now with 85K I am considering replacing it again with the Bilstein unit to match my shocks. I think Bilstein products are some of the best on the market. Larry installed the Bilstein shocks on my Jeep. I'm anxious to feel the improvement.

bobmoore14

Reply #21
Yahoo Message Number: 153271
I am not advocating anything - after I forwarded that last one ran across this from Larry

Please excuse brevity & typos -

Reply #22
Yahoo Message Number: 153606
I might be misunderstanding "drives like a truck", because I very much liked the way the my previous 24' E350 SOB drove, and very much like way my present 25' E450 drives: steady, precise, no wandering - same as my Camry, for example. And my wife agrees. The E350 went 190K miles with only two alignments, no work on the suspension, except brakes and tires.
The E450 only has 22,000 miles, so I can't rate it's longevity, but sure is easy to drive, even better than the E350.
 Both SOBs had wheelbases that were longer than the comparable LD units, so that might be part of the difference.

Eric Greenwell

older_fossil wrote on 6/9/2015 8:43 AM:
2005 Jayco 24SS