Skip to main content
Topic: OT idea (Read 22 times) previous topic - next topic
OT idea
Yahoo Message Number: 153134
It's a slow [and HOT] day here in AZ where I languish waiting to hit the road in CHERRYOTTE...had a 'net deal come up and it hit me that this might be a nice new 'toy' or 'aid' to add to my RV tool set.

A drone! I foresee being able to send it out ahead of my 30ft w/a toad to scout the terrain/roads or access where I'd like to safely go. It would be a great way to check out camp spots or possible boon dock sites.

No idea at all what the cost or how viable this idea would be to implement....just thinking outside the box! Like I said..bored!
Gini Free and Junah, canine xtrodinaire "CHERRYOTTE" our litte red home on wheels "Growing old is mandatory. Growing wise is optional."

--- This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
http://www.avast.com
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Gini Free and Junah, canine xtrodinaire
"CHERRYOTTE" our little red home on wheels
"Growing old is mandatory. Growing wise is optional."

Re: OT idea
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 153135
By FAA regulations you must be in line of sight of your drone.  And BTW  a good drone that would be able to do what your are asking would be very expensive.  And there is a learning curve that would cost you a lost or broken drone or two.
I have an empty box with drone parts and a working controller.   Seems my wife was not happy I was flying the drone in the living room.  I took said drone outside -- was flying pretty good till I lost control.  I'm sure some neighbor will find my drone on their rooftop ....

Glen
personal fine art photo stuff
TF Mack | Flickr
It's all good .......
2014 Twin King

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 153138
Glen put it well. A drone that could scout ahead for you (e.g., DJI Phantom 3) would cost well over a thousand dollars, has a maximum range of about a mile, and poses a significant risk of loss due to "fly-away" or breakage due to collisions with trees. Believe me, I know!

A much more practical way to scope out boondocking sites is to use Google's or Apple's mapping programs, which have excellent aerial photography of most places you might want to camp. Let the pros do the flying for you--it's free! :-)

Andy Baird
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 153142
Can you imagine rush hour freeways jammed with cars and thousands of personal drones flying about, all looking for the mythical shortcut.

If you wan to know more about drones, PBS's "Rise of the drones" is a real eye opener.
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/military/rise-of-the-drones.html We have opened up Pandora's box.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze