Skip to main content
Topic: Boondockers washing machine (Read 32 times) previous topic - next topic
Boondockers washing machine
Yahoo Message Number: 153060
Saw this on RV Boondocking News.  It's expensive ($129 + $40 shipping). Really, $40 shipping, maybe it has a lot of lead in it??? Or do you think they are making a few more bucks on the shipping??

yirego

SD Bob
2000 MB

Re: Boondockers washing machine
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 153061
I see it's intended to be used only for underwear. The pitch is interesting: "due to procrastination, urbanites often buy new undergarments instead of going to a public laundry facility." Oh, really? And they're going to spend $170 on this instead? It all seems pretty farfetched, though I'll admit the industrial design of the gadget is pretty sexy. But maybe one could do just as well with an old-fashiioned bucket and one of these for under twenty five bucks. :-)

Andy Baird
As an Amazon Associate Lazy Daze Owners' Group earns from qualifying purchases.
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 153062
No need for "urbanites" or non-urbanites to despair (or, buy new underwear ; seriously!?) and get a spendy gadget to save them from laundromat horror! Per a previous discussion, $15.00 Presto Buckets make great low-tech washing "machines" for small items.
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 153064
Great low-tech item and far less likely to break. Before I clicked on the link I thought it was going to be a washboard.  This item makes lotsa sense.

SD Bob
2000 MB

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 153071
Are they saying because we fulltime we don't wash underwear? I can't speak for others but I would prefer going to a laundry mat than wearing dirty clothes. I have the bucket mentioned previously in the forum but only use it when convenient. Putting quarters in the washing machine is much easier. At the place I'm staying now its only $1 to wash and 75 cents to dry. I can do 2 weeks of laundry for less than $5.

bobmoore14

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 153072
The simplest idea is every time you go on a drive to put all your dirty clothes  in a bucket with soapy water about three quarters full and put it in the  bounciest spot in your rig. Rinse when you return and hang to dry. Make  sure your bucket has a lid!

By the way, the simplest clothing line is take a thin line, double it and twist  it, and poke laundry corners between the lines to keep them up. No clothes  pins required!

tOM

-- "Work to eat, eat to live, live to bike, bike to work." -- Naomi Bloom _~o          "It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the _-\ (_)/ (_)   since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. " ~ Ernest Hemingway "Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades."--Eddy Merckx.
tOM Trottier +1 613 860-6633 Skype:Abacurial http://Information. Architecture.Abacurial.comTwitterFacebook MD5 Fingerprint    27:B8:BA:91:70:E5:44:20:8F:29:EE:46:1E:52:F6:81 SHA1          23:3A:53:18:AB:83:B1:CA:O7:33:AF:10:11:24:27:95:22:98:4E:7E PEst-ce c'est necessaire d'imprimer ce courriel?/Do you really need to print this email?

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 153073
On their web page I noticed two things:
 ØIf you order one it is really a "pre-order" and the projected ship date is July 2016; over a year away. Have they actually built any of these or is it a "paper tiger?" ØThe company is in Toronto, ON so the US shipping rate is more than the Canadian shipping rate. Do they have a "customs expediter" in the U.S. to get shipments across the border rapidly?
 The main YouTube video indicates 1.3 million hits. If these are valid hits it might represent interest. However, "YouTube hits" can be created by automation or a gang of company friends; in which case it is just "marketing foo-foo."
 Another YouTube video shows two young men demonstrating a unit (prototype ?) at a trade show in March 2015. My guess would be that they are looking for investors to fund the company, which must be done before they can manufacture a product.
 If you search the web a bit you will find similar devices targeted at "off the grid" users.  However, you really don't see these devices being advertised or sold, except maybe in publications for off-grid users.

Doug Baker

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 153081
Strangely we just met some folks at patapsco state park md with their new to them rig and their pride and joy laundry machine http://m.sears.com/panda-small-compact-portable-washing-machine-pan30-drain/p-SPM8060433825?hlSellerId=38645&sid=IDx20110310x00001i&kpid=SPM8060433825&kispla=SPM8060433825 It really is lightweight and not too bulky. They love it. They did a lot of research and found it performs as advertised. It does have to have 2 spin cycles.
I think we will get one. We are sick of searching for a nice clean laundermat and spending 2+ hours there every week. Usually no air conditioning and terrible locations, clothing ruined or washed or dried poorly etc etc Sandy KalleAnka We are hanging around the eastern coast waiting for family events to occur. Can't wait to go west in October

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 153084
ØIf you order one it is really a "pre-order" and the projected ship date is July 2016; over a  year away.
 Strangely enough, that's about the same amount of time it takes lately to get a new Lazy Daze from the factory. Coincidence?
 There are some modern "travel" and "athletic" garments that somehow never get stinky, and dry very quickly. Undies can be processed in the shower. For everything else, there's Goodwill, the original "fast fashion".
 The only time you really need to look decent is for Border Patrol checkpoints.

fu
fu
2015TK

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 153088
The Panda is a slick machine.

Amazon has them and different sizes too.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=Panda+Portable+Washing+Machine

See the videos for the Panda if you have any interest.  You want full hookups on wash day because it uses a lot of water and electricity.  It's an energetic little machine.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Panda+Small+Compact+Portable+Washing+Machine

This guy shows a start to finish wash with the Panda and explains things.  He obviously had used the machine several times before making the video.

Demonstrating The Panda PAN30 Small Compact Portable Washing Machine Washing a Load of Shirts

SD Bob
As an Amazon Associate Lazy Daze Owners' Group earns from qualifying purchases.
2000 MB

Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 153091
Looks nice, what size is ideal for my 2003 30' IB? Looks like best place to put that cute washing machine is in shower booth.  Not too bad to move that machine out of shower booth when showering as 5-7 pound model only weights 28 lbs.  Does it shake a lot?

Jamie

2003 30' IB & 2004 24' FD

Reply #12
Yahoo Message Number: 153092
We haven't seen it in action but the couple who owned a bus camper just put it into a storage bin. I would store it in the shower. We have a 23.5 but it would be worth losing that space for the laundry convenience. They didn't complain about vibration just mentioned it took 2 spin cycles to do a good job of removing the water